3 songs from the new album are from old demos?

Started by crowbi_wan, July 30, 2007, 02:01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

I was listening to Sirius 22 (First Wave) this afternoon and heard the DJ talking about The Cure.  I didn't really catch all of what he was saying , but did hear that three songs from the new album were taken from demos from the 80s.  Is this new news?  I must admit that I don't read all of the articles and such.  Anyway, curious what era they are from.  As I've heard the new album has a Kiss Me vibe to it I wonder if they are left over from the '87 sessions.  Could be why the KMKMKM remaster didn't offer much. 

strange_day

I read in one of the recent interviews that this is true, apparently 2 of the songs are from the Kiss Me era and the other from between 1982-84...... sounds interesting....

Bloodflower

Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

lostflower4

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 30, 2007, 05:50:23I'd bet it's Ariel.

It would really be something if they suddenly put out a new, official version of this song. But I have a feeling it will be something else.

Bloodflower

That Ariel is apparently part of one of Robert's solo albums, I recant and say it probably isn't Ariel. It wouldn't make Curesense to release a song as The Cure, then release another version of the same song as Robert Smith. But then, maybe it would make sense; two very different versions of the same song could attract Robert, I guess.... I suppose only he knows.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

iwannashagsimon

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the new songs were some older ones.  Perhaps they (mainly Robert) didn't feel the song fit the mood of the album.  I remember reading someplace that "A Night Like This" was done back in the 1976 when Porl was first in the band, but it didn't get recorded til 1985.  So, it wouldn't be the first time they did something like this.

Dillinger

i think they'll be from around the head on the door

crowbi_wan

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on July 30, 2007, 10:17:12
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the new songs were some older ones.  Perhaps they (mainly Robert) didn't feel the song fit the mood of the album.  I remember reading someplace that "A Night Like This" was done back in the 1976 when Porl was first in the band, but it didn't get recorded til 1985.  So, it wouldn't be the first time they did something like this.

There's an old demo of "Plastic Passion" that sounds similar to "A Night Like This".  It's really slow and uses the same chords. 

boneheadhaggar

Robert Smith solo album, oooh cant wait for that :lol:
its nice to be nice

[labyrinth]

it is really interesting...who knows how a track written 25 years ago has grown in these years.. and their approach to it....

we'll see  :rocker

cureterra

*** VANILLA SMILE ***