Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on August 30, 2021, 16:32:15This is such a big topic and one that I could discuss a great deal.

As this is "just" the "currently listening" topic, I'd prefer it if "big" discussions will be held in another, more fitting topic.

For example here (or start a new topic):
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=9417.0
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on August 31, 2021, 09:36:42As this is "just" the "currently listening" topic, I'd prefer it if "big" discussions will be held in another, more fitting topic.
Please elaborate ;)

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on August 31, 2021, 09:55:50Please elaborate ;)

Well if you wanna see a "discussion" going wrong because one user puts his taste above anyone else's, look no further than here:
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=9428.0
 :unamused:

SueC

Quote from: Pongo on August 31, 2021, 09:55:50
Quote from: Ulrich on August 31, 2021, 09:36:42As this is "just" the "currently listening" topic, I'd prefer it if "big" discussions will be held in another, more fitting topic.
Please elaborate ;)

Hee hee ha ha.  :beaming-face  Very droll.

By the way, I think the question of musical conventions deserves its own topic; my topic doesn't suit it.

I think Ulrich is trying to prevent Currently Listening from turning into long treatises on music and encouraging us to start independent topics elsewhere should a conversation had on this thread inspire us to write more extensively. He had to do that with me when I was new here because otherwise the equivalent thread for Cure songs would have ended up with essays attached to it. So I created my own Exploring threads in which I could write thousands of words on Cure songs and wherever in the universe they took me, without disrupting or ballooning other topics. :)

Also we had a person with us for a while who seemed to lecture us on what is Excellent Musical Taste and what is Shitty Musical Taste (also a fairly binary person in that regard). Excellent Musical Taste seemed to be defined by the degree of overlap with his own Taste, which he was encouraging us to acquire (or looking down on us for not acquiring). He was similar about philosophy, which was sad - like someone eating only Spam when there is a whole smorgasbord to be had!

Today I listened to this about half a dozen times on loop because it swings along nicely and kept me awake while hanging up the washing:

It's nice to have another BAD song to enjoy after only liking The Bottom Line for many years. :cool
SueC is time travelling

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on August 31, 2021, 10:05:49Well if you wanna see a "discussion" going wrong because one user puts his taste above anyone else's, look no further than here:
That was interesting, in a bad way. These people always show up, sooner or later.

Quote from: SueC on August 31, 2021, 11:29:31Also we had a person with us for a while who seemed to lecture us on what is Excellent Musical Taste and what is Shitty Musical Taste
And then you go on posting, quite literally, a BAD song... (seriously, I like it)

This is very catchy:

And the recent remix is possibly even catchier:

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on September 01, 2021, 10:08:46That was interesting, in a bad way. These people always show up, sooner or later.

For me, later will be better.  ;)

Well there's always this song for them:

Ulrich

"I loved her then and I guess I love her still
Hers is the face I see when a certain mood moves in
She lives in my blood and skin
I held her hand but I don't hold it now
I don't know why and I don't know how
But she's nobody's baby now"

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on September 02, 2021, 09:46:21Well there's always this song for them:
Good choice.

More on the Nick Cave topic:

Ulrich

We can forget about The Cure, N. Cave etc. now, ABBA is back!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on September 03, 2021, 09:23:29We can forget about The Cure, N. Cave etc. now, ABBA is back!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Finally!  :lol:

This is probably the only song by Abba that I really like. Don't think I've heard them all but this is to my liking.
Feels like this is the blueprint for a a great deal of Erasure's songs, another band I like.

MeltingMan

Andreas Dorau - Fred vom Jupiter

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Pongo

I love Neue Deutsche Welle!

SueC

Quote from: Pongo on September 06, 2021, 08:31:39I love Neue Deutsche Welle!

Why does this sound like something my hairdresser could do to me?  :winking_tongue

Speaking of hair and the 80s...

Not that this sound was at all typical of the 80s, which is why I liked it then, and like it now! :angel
SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: SueC on September 06, 2021, 13:04:20Not that this sound was at all typical of the 80s, which is why I liked it then, and like it now! :angel

one of the world's finest bands. need to see them live asap! 'Destination' and 'Hotel Womb' bring back so many memories...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo