FLAC Decoding Problems

Started by B.DEE, October 12, 2007, 22:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

B.DEE

I've put all the files into Xact and they're being dumped into the Encode page and then I'm getting an error message saying ...

"Can't make class ID 14 of class ID 13 of class ID 12 into type reference. (-1700)"

This is why I HATE FLAC.
I've NEVER had a download go through and decoded without some sort of error.
F*CK.
Constantly talking is not necessarily communicating.

j

Are you sure it isn't a problem with xact?  Can you upload the smallest Flac file you are having trouble with and I'll see if I get the error with other programs on my pc?  Have you tried any other FLAC decoders?

japanesebaby

i might be completely worng here but are you sure your downloaded files are 100% complete?
i'm using xATC too and never had that sort of error message. yet i know (-1700) reference often occurs with incomplete/partially downloaded files.

j's suggestion is good: can you upload one of your files and we'll see if we can make it work.
and if you can tell what file you have there (a file from some gig downloaded from here?) and maybe we can compare the filesizes and see if it's really complete.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

just to make sure:

Quote from: B.DEE on October 12, 2007, 22:32:45
I've put all the files into Xact and they're being dumped into the Encode page and then I'm getting an error message saying ...

are you really dragging/dropping these to 'encode'? if you're trying to decode flac files to .wav, you should put them to 'decode' instead, right? now i'm not entirely sure which one are you trying to do there, encoding .wav to flac or  decoding flac to .wav? your topic line says decode though(?)

xATC should really be very easy and userfriendly application so i'm a bit puzzled by this. i've used it for years and i can't remember ever having decoding errors unless i was tried to decode incomplete files, that's why i suggested checking that too first.
(which version of the program do you have btw?)

B.DEE

Let me clairfy ...

Yes, I downloaded files from this website (the Download Festival FLACs) and then individually dragged and dropped each file into the "DECODE" section of Xact - but then it flips them over to the "ENCODE" page of Xact, leaving the "DECODE" field empty (along with the error message popping up over top of the program).

Every single file I have for that show did this.

japanesebaby

ok now i see what you mean.  and sorry that i misunderstood you in the first time.

what version of xATC do you have? 1.59 or older?
are you sure your files are complete? (if you downloaded the download festival files via j's link, you can compare the file sizes of your downloaded files to those on j's server)

japanesebaby

ok forget my last post, i think i know what your problem is:

i think you have forgot to remove the .txt extension at the end of the flac files.
the last extension should be .flac, but when you download some flac files they might show up on your HD with .flac.txt extension. you can't decode these because xACT don't read .txt and cannot understand what kind of audio files you're trying to offer it.
i just tried this out by downloading one flac file from the download festival show and it does inded come with .flac.txt extension. and i also tried putting this this .txt file into 'decode' window and xACT indeed does give  that specific error message which you described.

so, this should be easy to solve: just remove the .txt extensions from all files, then try decoding and it should work just fine.  :smth023

B.DEE

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 14, 2007, 17:16:47
ok forget my last post, i think i know what your problem is:

i think you have forgot to remove the .txt extension at the end of the flac files.
the last extension should be .flac, but when you download some flac files they might show up on your HD with .flac.txt extension. you can't decode these because xACT don't read .txt and cannot understand what kind of audio files you're trying to offer it.
i just tried this out by downloading one flac file from the download festival show and it does inded come with .flac.txt extension. and i also tried putting this this .txt file into 'decode' window and xACT indeed does give  that specific error message which you described.

so, this should be easy to solve: just remove the .txt extensions from all files, then try decoding and it should work just fine.  :smth023

I can't believe I didn't see that all this time.
Thanks.

japanesebaby

hey  i'm just glad it got solved.  :smth023

happy FLAC-ing - no reason to hate it now i guess.  :-D

j

Thanks M.  Now I look like a genius.  I told B.Dee that you would probably be able to solve his problem!  +Karma for you!

lostflower4

What's up with .flac files suddenly become .txt files?  :smth017

j

Yeah, is it something from my site?

scatcat

okay.. can anyone help me here.. I can successfully download flac files to my recently acquired winamp.. but mediaplayer does not recognise them and won't play them.. is there anything i can do to copy the files to media player in music library there??

i have not a clue what to do?
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Cure Freak

Quote from: scatcat on November 03, 2007, 20:34:43
okay.. can anyone help me here.. I can successfully download flac files to my recently acquired winamp.. but mediaplayer does not recognise them and won't play them.. is there anything i can do to copy the files to media player in music library there??

i have not a clue what to do?
Sara, you will need to convert the flac files to WAV or mp3 format.
I had no luck with the frontend program.
I used dBpoweramp Music Converter  and it worked great.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

you will also need to download the flac codec
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

hope it helps. :smth001

j

You can also download traders little helper.  Google it and you can get a free download.