What's On Your Mind Atm??

Started by PearlThompsonsBloodflower, January 03, 2018, 22:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

President Trump, the First Lady, and the people they last met with. That wasn't exactly a small number. 😕

Get well soon everyone!
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 03, 2020, 10:00:12President Trump

Is that the same guy who complained to Biden that he wore a mask almost all the time?  :?

With this guy you never know what's real or fake news, it could as well be a ploy so people will talk about how he's doing instead of his political moves (e.g. failing to disassociate himself from racists).  :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

OK, I know this is weird, but...

We have these slugs in the garden which are pretty much the only garden pest around here. (We don't actually have European snails on our site, which is something, as they spread through the major Australian settlements a long time ago.)  Anyway, nothing around here wants to eat them, and you can see why.  (Ducks allegedly eat these things, but they also destroy your garden, so not an option.)  We were contemplating what to do with the slugs, and whether we could do some so-called "value-adding" - you know how increasingly, people eat crickets?  Besides slugs, we have an abundance of slaters and earwigs, and we were thinking of perhaps making some protein bars out of them... it could be a major agricultural export off our farm.  :winking_tongue

As we were ruminating our options, it occurred to us how strange it is that people eat snails, but not slugs.  And this in turn led to the term escargot popping up.  I started thinking about the word.

I think it would make an excellent name for a model of car.  For example, the Mitsubishi Escargot.  Has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? :angel  "Drive a Mitsubishi Escargot, and move all your cargo."

Brett thinks it would be better concealed, so that some of us could laugh at others not noticing - the Mitsubishi S-Cargo.  "Drive a Mitsubishi S-Cargo, and move all your cargo."

And why not?  We already have Mitsubishi Pajero, and I'm sure most of us know what that means, and get amused to see people driving it.  :beaming-face

Speaking of, there used to be a racehorse running around Western Australia by the name of "Pogue Mahone" - which really made me laugh, because I was taking Irish Gaelic lessons at around that time.  They'd never have gotten away with it in English, but it's so amusing when it's so simple to slip something like this into the works...  :rofl
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on October 13, 2020, 15:00:27Speaking of, there used to be a racehorse running around Western Australia by the name of "Pogue Mahone" - which really made me laugh, because I was taking Irish Gaelic lessons at around that time.

I never had Gaelic lessons, but I listened to The Pogues sometimes, who had an album with that title (and apparently that was the original band name), so I know what it means...
Yeah, you better careful what you post here!  :winking_tongue

SueC

:lol:  Gaelic punk?

It's supposed to be written póg mo thóin, but the phonetic rendering made it possible for casual readers to pronounce it...

It's funny how the curses always seem to make their way around even outside language lessons.  :lol:  When I was in middle school, classmates were constantly beleaguering me to teach them rude things in German, which made me raise my eyebrows at them.  Or they'd try to say something rude in German they'd picked up somewhere, but they'd completely butcher the pronunciation... ah, cultural exchange.

So be careful if you ever come to Australia, @Ulrich - you'll have the rednecks asking you how to say all sorts of unpalatable phrases, and making "Ish liebe Dish" sounds... :rofl

Ch.  Just breathe out softly through your throat.  Chhhhh.  Quit clenching your teeth, there's no shhh about any of this.

(Brett thinks we should oblige them when they ask, "How do you say you're an a$$hole?" and teach them to say, "Ich bin ein Vollidiot!" or "Wo ist der Bahnhof?" or "Bitte schütten Sie mir einen Eimer Wasser über meinen Kopf.")

Tá áthas brón orm.  :angel  Ar mhaith leat tae?

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on October 14, 2020, 00:20:16Tá áthas brón orm.  :angel  Ar mhaith leat tae?

Should I translate that? Or should I just trust you not to post rude language?

SueC

I can mostly be trusted not to post rude language, and if I do ever do it, it won't be "hidden"!  :)

Also I like using fun substitutes like shiitake (that's a favourite), barnacle etc.  If I want to insult someone, the Shakespeare Insult Kit is a handy tool.  :cool

The Irish was simply two relatively random phrases:  There is a sorrow upon me (can also be read as I'm sorry). :angel  Would you like some tea?
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Miss Graticolato Romano 2017: 7, 8, 11
Miss Graticolato Romano 2019: 5, 6, 16
Miss Torrebelvicino 2017: 21, 23, 29

MeltingMan

Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh 5 Nov 1864 - 10 Jan 1933

MeltingMan

My home studio, which has been sleeping for years because a certain instrument was not built (Oberheim SO4V). Actually everything is there: masterkeyboard, cables, amplifier, tone control, voice extension, etc. At that time there was even a waiting list. You can calculate that VIP customers are right at the top. There are alternatives. But I already know that I have to invest up to 5000 EUR over the years and in the end I may not be satisfied. So I have to wait ... and wait ... and I'm still waiting. 😔

SueC

For a while now, Jupiter and Saturn have been very visible in our southern skies, low down and close together.  Today I read that they are visually going to converge closer on 21/12/20 that they will until we're all dead in 2080!

If you have a telescope, you should also be able to see various moons at the moment, like this:

SueC is time travelling

SueC

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

White Christmas (ok pic is not of today, but it looks the same!!):

MeltingMan

Harriet Bosse, a Norwegian actress (1878-1961).

SueC

Tell me the world isn't amazing...

Blue dragons, which are actually a species of nudibranch (sea slug) - currently making an appearance on East Coast beaches:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-02-13/bizarre-blue-fleet-blows-onto-australias-east-coast/13139456

We've not seen this particular species here in WA, but we frequently see the bluebottles, by-the-wind sailors and violet snails shown in the article when we walk on the local beaches.  Here's the violet snail:

SueC is time travelling