WISH VS THE HEAD ON THE DOOR

Started by carnagevisors, May 23, 2006, 04:18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these 2 albuns you consider to be most pop?

WISH
11 (39.3%)
THE HEAD ON THE DOOR
17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

carnagevisors

gioez

I voted Wish, one of my foavourites albums.

Of course it's difficult to choice an album, because "Head" it's great too...
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

lostflower4

To me, The Head is mostly a pop album, and Wish is mostly a rock album with a few pop songs. Of course genre is never absolute with The Cure, but I think The Head easily wins here since overall it is much more "poppy".

This has nothing to do with which is the better album...

lostflower4

Speaking of embarrassing moments, how about every single time a certain Roger O'Donnell decided to play a tambourine on stage? I mean, how on earth did Robert think that was a good idea?

The first time I ever saw this was during Mint Car on Saturday Night Live, and I was just completely shocked. To think of the millions of people whose first exposure to the band might have been that... Now THAT is embarrassing! :oops:

splitmilk34

You can NEVER feel like a serious rock band when you're playing a tambourine on stage (unless you're the Rapture)... I wonder how Robert convinced Roger to do that?  Maybe that's why Robert sacked him, too... Roger just refused to play the tambourine and Robert wasn't having it!!! How's that for some speculation!  It's okay though, because I hear Porl is going to play a ripping kazoo solo on the lead-single for the new album.
"... sleeping less every night"

lostflower4

Hmmm... I seriously doubt this was Robert's idea. I blame it completely on Roger, and believe that he somehow convinced the rest of the band that it was a "good idea". I mean, he sure looked HAPPY when he was banging away on it. :-D

Maybe some of you saw the hidden interview on the Trilogy DVD, where Roger was talking about how he wanted to play a strap-on keyboard on stage, but Robert wouldn't allow it. Thank goodness for that. I don't even like to hearing the word "strap-on" and Roger in the same sentence! :lol:

Curetastraphy

He also looked stupid when he played a tambourine on Siamese Twins. I mean Siouxsie could pull it off.

japanesebaby

i can't believe it was robert's idea either. so i'd rather like to think that roger got kicked out because he didn't want to stop swinging that thing...
but it's really unwatchable at times. he is grinning like a three-year-old.
i remember seeing some occasions where he even moves around a bit on stage and even tries to be funny with that stupid thing - bad idea.... :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  
(so maybe some kind of "strap-on" would have been a good idea anyway? i mean, just to keep him out of the stage altogether if necessary  8) )

i agree, siouxsie could handle it somehow without looking like a retard. although i don't think it was such a necessary item there either - i cannot see how tambourine swinging would make anyone look better on stage and the musical contribution is pretty much zero anyway - so why not just leave it back home, please?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

splitmilk34

Yea... but it is funny to think about these two guys having rock star hissy fits over the tambourine.  I think it's absolutely brilliant that Roger either convinced Robert to let him play it or vice versa.  Why not bring a cowbell into the mix?  It's just great stuff... especially since playing the tambourine and looking like a jackass adds absolutely nothing of musical value to a song!  Good times.
"... sleeping less every night"

japanesebaby

yes i actually agree that it's all about the musical values and not about how it might looks like. but that's just where the whole problem actually lies: because i don't think that the tambourine playing adds anything to the musical values of those songs in which they've used it. and so it doesn't matter who it was that was swinging it there - be it jason or simon or robert himself, it would have been just as useless and just as  embarrassing as it was now.
so that's why really like to imagine the situation (my imagination/impressions only of course, i don't know what really happened) like the whole thing occured because roger was saying something silly like "hey guys, give me something to do too, i don't have any keyboard parts in this song, come on, i want to play toooo..." = so it just looks like he needed something to swiggle there. but really, why? why not just admit that "ok, i don't play anything in this (or that) song"?

yes i really do think the musical output of his tambourine swinging is pretty much a zero: those songs just don't absolutely need that element. it doesn't sound like it's connected to the actual music-making. it doesn't sound like it was a decision made in an arrangemental or compositional  sense. it doesn't sound innovative. it doesn't really enhance anything soundwise or introduce anything new and interesting. it's just something that seems to be there simply  because someone needed some pastime. and so the only output to the whole performance is that there's someone on stage looking like a moron - so...

(and cowbell? - well THAT's something completely different...   8) )
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

tigermilk

The Head On The Door is the more 'pop' album for sure.

It starts off with 'inbetween days' for god's sake! A pure pop single!

As far as albums are concerned, I prefer Wish. :smth020