Porl leaving after summer festivals?

Started by lostflower4, July 28, 2005, 14:37:07

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

I heard through a friend of a friend that a recent issue of Rolling Stone magazine stated that Porl will leave the band following the summer festivals.

I haven't been able to find this info anywhere else, and I'm not so sure I trust this guy (he once tried to tell my friend that Robert died).

But I still can't help but wonder. Has anyone else heard this? Let's hope it's not true!!!   :x

Tristan Berlin

No, I hear it for the first time. Oh nooooooo!!!!! Lord help me, but Porl must stay. I was so happy to see him back and now this news...but I think we have to wait for more news. I will pray for some good.... :roll:

heixiao

QuoteTHE LAST DATES OF SUMMER...
6/23/2005 7:35:37 PM - by CURE:ROBERT

WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT: SICILY AND ATHENS...

WE ARE ABOUT TO START RECORDING DEMOS (AS WELL AS PLAYING IN OLD SONGS!) - AND AFTER THESE 9 SUMMER FESTIVALS (WE DON'T REALLY COUNT LIVE 8!) WE WILL BE GOING INTO THE STUDIO TO START WORK ON THE NEXT THING...

AFTER THAT IS DONE (!)... WE WILL PLAY SOME REAL SHOWS: AROUND THE WORLD...

ONWARDS... - RS

PS
PLEEEEEEEEASE!
JASON DRUMS LIKE A DREAM IN THE CURE - AND BORIS WILL NOT BE TAKING HIS PLACE!

That's what Robert posted on the Official Web site last June... He might change his view but i really hope your friend is wrong!  :D  :D
Movement, no movement, just a falling bird

rdruiz8

I also hope that's not true.  :(
I'm hoping to see The Cure again and this time with Mr. Thompson with his guitar.
i'm running out of time i'm out of step and
closing down

CureWhispers

:(  Oh My I really hope it's not true, I was enjoying seeing Porl back!  :(

boneheadhaggar

only time will tell, but hopefully Porl will enjoy the shows so much that he will decide to stay :)
its nice to be nice

agusramirez

No way this can happens. Porl mut return to America to Play live shows with Robert and Co.

Hope like every body else this is just another rumor...

Regards...

AR

lostflower4

Well, it's been a while and none of this has come out as news anywhere else. I don't know the guy who said this personally, but something tells me he isn't the most reliable source of information...

j

6/18/2005 10:12:36 AM - by CURE:ROBERT

WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF GUITARIST PORL THOMPSON FOR THE CURE SHOWS THIS SUMMER!

THIS WILL BE PORL'S THIRD TIME IN THE BAND - HE FIRST PLAYED FROM 1976 TO 1978, AND THEN AGAIN FROM 1983 TO 1993...

...AND IT'S A REAL PLEASURE TO HAVE HIM BACK ONCE MORE!

Maybe your friend interpreted the part that says "FOR THE CURE SHOWS THIS SUMMER" as meaning  that Porl is only a temporary fill in.  Just a thought!

lostflower4

Welcome to the site, Jeff!  :D

This guy claimed he read it in Rolling Stone, but that was several weeks ago. You'd think someone else would have confirmed it by now. I don't know this guy personally, and he kinda seems like a clown, so I'm not taking it too seriously anymore.

You make a good point about what Robert said on the official site. It's very vaguely worded. You could take it a couple different ways. When the news first came out, I took it as only a temporary thing. But now I'm thinking he might stick around longer. Wishful thinking? Maybe... We really just don't know!  :roll:

monghi

in yesterday?s interview for ARTE he said, that they?ll go to the studio with actual line-up... and they?re really great! I like their new sound... a new version of Plainsong is excelent:)
i never said i would stay to the end

lostflower4

Quote from: monghiin yesterday?s interview for ARTE he said, that they?ll go to the studio with actual line-up... and they?re really great! I like their new sound... a new version of Plainsong is excelent:)

Yep, I couldn't believe it when I saw Plainsong on the setlist. But when I heard it, I was quite impressed. It's so different. That's what I like about this new lineup. It's different. Very refreshing. The Cure was the same for almost 10 years. It was getting too predictable.

Maybe they shouldn't carry on like this forever, but for now I love the raw energy!  :P

cult_hero

that was the worst version of plain song ever. i think i'm the only one here who would be happy if he leaves the band. kicking out perry and roger and replacing them with porl was a bad decision. i just heard benicassim and the 8 songs from route du rock and that was in my opinion not really good!

DontMoove

I hope that the future album will "use" correctly Porl's talent...with Page and Plant he was a master piece of the show and I think he can't only play rythm for 90% of a show(he will be "misused")...may be he will play saxo again (give me it)...
JP

wish

music is the best