2009.04.17 Las Vegas, NV - Pearl Concert Theater at The Palms (USA)

Started by crowbi_wan, February 24, 2009, 02:29:48

Previous topic - Next topic

j

Just listened to the end of A Forest, and Robert says "Q" and that is it.  Nothing like the usual show ending, though.

I just uploaded some pics to the gallery.  Also, it was nice meeting up with you again, crowbi_wan, and it was extremely nice to finally meet jb !   :smth023  :smth039

sullen

Trust...

Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Trust...

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

sullen

Quote from: Trust... on April 20, 2009, 13:09:23
Quote from: sullen on April 20, 2009, 12:26:13
i just slept for 24hrs  :shock:

:shock: 24h?

about 18 or so.
think i went to sleep at like noon yesterday and woke up at 6AMish!
was a long weekend!!!

i was up on the rail, and the sound was terrible.
was it good back by the board?

Trust...

Quote from: sullen on April 20, 2009, 13:50:35
i was up on the rail, and the sound was terrible.

Yeah that's what you have when you'r up on the rail  :D But still MY favorite place for a Cure-gig !

sullen

i agree, it is the best, no other place id rather be

but of all the times on the rail and the few ive had front row seated
this was the absolute worst sound ive heard up there

j

I know what you're saying, Sullen.  I slept for 12 hours Saturday night into Sunday, then another 10 last night.  I usually get about 6 hours if I'm lucky!

I had high hopes for the sound, but wasn't impressed.  I started out centered directly on Roberts microphone stand, about 10 feet in front of the board.  By the end of the show (out of necessity because I am 5'10" and I swear everyone else was 6'7"!) i was about DFC on the floor. 

Their regular board op was not with them and they had guys on the board that I did not recognize. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

sullen

yeah, damn i thought it might have just been where i was.

great weekend, but such a disappointment that show was.

Plainsong

I'm not sure if this has even made COF yet, but it was confirmed by a couple of fans who ran into the band after the Palms show that Robert hurt his hand when his guitar string snapped during The Kiss. It was very swollen after the show that night and was still visibly puffy last night at Coachella and two of his fingers were bandaged. He was rubbing his arm when the band left the stage after the main set. No word on what exactly the injury was (a cut? a broken finger? who knows?) but he definitely was in some pain...but he kept playing through it like a pro!! Obviously on Friday if he'd just hurt it he couldn't keep going so maybe it's on the mend by now. Anyway, that's why the show stopped a little early in Vegas and there wasn't any big drama, just one of those fluky injuries.
It was still a fantastic show and it was so good to see the Curefans there--especially to meet Japanesebaby who came from so far away!! I'm still so surprised we saw you! :)

erikd37

Quote from: j on April 18, 2009, 10:09:46
WTF?  Apparently Simon got pissed off that he fucked up playing on A Forest and they never came back out for the last 2 encores.  They were supposed to play the old school encore, then Faith.  Thanks Simon!

Yes, he threw his bass down and then chucked his pick over his should liek he didn't care.  He was very chilled throughout the whole show. Porl was a bit of a tiger though. He did look a little creepy with his eye make-up, tatoos, and goth jewlery.

All in all it was a great show and Robert's voice sounded amazing.(he nailed ..deep green sea) :smth023

THANK YOU ROBERT FOR HITTING THAT NOTE IN PRAYERS FOR RAIN!!!! Happy Birthday!!!

japanesebaby

hi j it was nice meeting you too  :smth006

Quote from: sullen on April 20, 2009, 12:26:13
i just slept for 24hrs  :shock:
thank you las vegas  8)

just got home after about 25 hours flying/waiting around on various airports. i had a morning flight out of vegas and i slept roughly two hours the night before. and perhaps something like 5(?) hours the night before that. i slept a little bit on the flight from washington to frankfurt but i'm totally disoriented.
but hey i guess i can "sleep when i'm dead"... 8)

but what a trip! i don't care if coachella got a better gig, i couldn't have been there anyway.
so thank you vegas indeed!  :-D

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

about the concert, more details later but i was going to say that i still think it was still better than the 4tour european shows which i saw last year, even in this truncated form. although it was a bit of a rollercoaster, some songs were really really good: 'pictures of you', 'from the edge...', 'the kiss'. not untypical songs so once again they'll look dull in the setlist, but the versions were just really fine ones, great performances. that's what matters most (at least to me). the european shows were certainly of more constant quality but also pretty much lacked such highlights (at least to me).
just some of the audience were really dumb there at the pearl. i suppose some people think that GA means the same as hanging out in a bar: there were some people who kept just talking to their friends literally all through the show, not even paying attention to what was happening on the stage at all. wt...?  :smth011
but never mind that, don't want to dwell in the negative.  :D
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

ghanisbuli

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 21, 2009, 20:21:39
about the concert, more details later but i was going to say that i still think it was still better than the 4tour european shows which i saw last year, even in this truncated form. although it was a bit of a rollercoaster, some songs were really really good: 'pictures of you', 'from the edge...', 'the kiss'. not untypical songs so once again they'll look dull in the setlist, but the versions were just really fine ones, great performances. that's what matters most (at least to me). the european shows were certainly of more constant quality but also pretty much lacked such highlights (at least to me).
just some of the audience were really dumb there at the pearl. i suppose some people think that GA means the same as hanging out in a bar: there were some people who kept just talking to their friends literally all through the show, not even paying attention to what was happening on the stage at all. wt...?  :smth011
but never mind that, don't want to dwell in the negative.  :D

Seriously!  People kept on going in and out for drinks where I was--did you come to drink, or did you come to see The Cure?

The show for me was definitely VERY bittersweet.  They started out SO GOOD (Just like the f*cking record, nearly!), and it was wonderful to see them.  The sound was great where I was (203).  But it does hurt my heart a little, seeing what could have been, because of course I always want more anyway!  I've been trying not to hurt, trying not to stress out about the "reasons why"...  I don't want these things to discount from the wonderful experiences I had!  I had a lot of stuff go wrong this weekend (our plane was delayed 8 HOURS, and we just barely got there in time for the show!).  I basically missed out on a whole day of my short vacation because of this delay, and I didn't get to go to any of the meet ups.  I am thankful that I got to go at all!  But I do transition from feeling sorry for myself because of all that I ended up missing, and for the enormous amount of money that didn't get it's full value because of these mishaps, back to being SO f*cking EXCITED and tingly inside because of what I did get to experience.
I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once.