Disintegration from the realms of disintegrated memories

Started by fiction, December 20, 2008, 21:07:52

Previous topic - Next topic

fiction

And finally it has happenend. I remember it as if it was yesterday. It was a warm day in spring. I was waiting for Disintegration to be released. The original date was set to be the first of may 1989 but was put forward to the next day wich was my birthday, the second of may. I went down to my local record dealer at Jukebox in Malmö on friday fourth of april and there it was, DISINTEGRATION! Per produced it from under the dealers desk and said something like "You wish". I begged and begged and didn´t leave Jukebox without that precious item of mine and a promise to Per of not telling Hasse, the owner of the shop, that I could buy the record that early.

I remember how dissappointed I was when first listening to the album. The sound of my vinyl copy was crappy and I knew that I have red in the newspapers that this was a recording, according to experts that you could tune your stereo to. Reading more cloesely this was a remark concidering the cd-version of the very same record. I didn´t have a cd-player at the time and I couldn´t get over my disappointment so I just made up in my mind that this was not a very good record of the Cure. Please bare in mind that I had really looked forward to this release.

And now this has heppened. I started to get my more rarely plyed records by the Cure a second (or hundreds) chance. I started out with Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me and went through Wild Mood Swings and ended up with Disintegration. And there I was. Confused with the fact that I have neglected this album for nearly 20 years I had to admit that this is a GREAT album. Sorry to have stayed away from it for nearly two decades I at the same time realise that this is something new and great for me.
again and again and again and again and again and...