dvd - mpeg

Started by crowbi_wan, March 03, 2006, 07:43:57

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

okay, first of all i know i should get a dvd burner.  soon, i will.  for now though, i have downloaded a few cure dvds.  is there a way to transfer the dvd files into mpeg?  maybe i'll try TMPGEnc 3.0 as it worked for avi and seems to be a pretty vesitile program for transfering video to mpeg.  i'm really new to doing video and am just unsure if i need a dvd burner to access the dvd files.  

-brian

lostflower4

Do you actually mean going backwards from DVD format back to MPEG-2? If so, it's easy. DVD files are virtually MPEG files in a different structure. Look in the DVD directory, and many of the files will have a .vob extension. Simply change this extension to .mpg and that's it. No conversion required (which is a good thing). The only thing is that VOB files are split into 1 GB sections, so you might have to patch them together for a long video. But it works like a charm. The same thing works on VCD's. You can change the DAT exensions to MPG.

For some easy ways to change extensions, take a look here:

http://www.imaginary-lemurs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=361

Did I understand your question correctly? :?

crowbi_wan

thanks caley.  yes, i'm trying to change dvd files that i downloaded from dimeadozen to mpeg as i don't have a dvd burner.  my HD is getting filled up quickly and i need to free up some space.  plus, i want to watch me some cure shows :D   i also found a g'n'r show i went back in '91!  

-brian

japanesebaby

if you have vob files you can actually just change the .vob extension to .mpg since vob files are already in mpg format.

but why exactly would you want to go back to mpg? in order to re-author the stuff, make new menus or something like that?
if you have downloaded something that is already a video_ts folder and just want to burn that on a ordinary dvd you only need a dvd burner and a program that does the burning for you (without a program you can just burn a data copy that will works only on computers but not on standalone dvd players). but you don't have to do any additional conversions (sorry, maybe i didn't quite understand what you meant).

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

(oops, looks like it took me too much time to write that and it was already being taken care of  :wink: )
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

thanks marika.  i don't have a dvd burner though and want to watch my vids.  it seems i can do this so i'll give it a go.  my hard drive will be so happy!

-brian

cult_hero

vob and mpeg are not exactly the same cos a vob can contain a part of a video and it can also contain more than one video.

the easiest and best way to get an mpeg is to use "tmpenc xpress 3.0" or "tmpenc mpeg editor". it's not necessary to re-encode the files.

start a new project - select "source wizard" - select "add a source from a DVD-Video" - open the dvd-folder you need - select the needed titles - save it to your hdd - close the program and go to the folder where you saved the titles.

i think sometimes it's necessary to re-author a dvd cos the menu looks so bad or maybe you have some stuff that fits also on this dvd and you want to add it.

the easiest way to do something like this is to use "tmpgenc dvd author 1.6" or (better) "tsunami dvd author pro".

cult_hero

Quote from: lostflower4The only thing is that VOB files are split into 1 GB sections, so you might have to patch them together for a long video. But it works like a charm.

once i've tried it but the result wasn't perfect. the end of an mpeg and the beginning of the next mpeg was viewable. which program did you use?

lostflower4

He's right. TMPGEnc will basically change the VOB to MPG for you with a more specific breaking of sections, and with no re-encoding. :wink:

I've only had to do this a few times, so it wasn't too fresh in my mind... :oops:

lostflower4

Quote from: cult_hero
Quote from: lostflower4The only thing is that VOB files are split into 1 GB sections, so you might have to patch them together for a long video. But it works like a charm.

once i've tried it but the result wasn't perfect. the end of an mpeg and the beginning of the next mpeg was viewable. which program did you use?

I never actually did anything like this. I just figured it could be accomplished with enough patience. :smt102

All I meant by "works like a charm" is that a VOB can become an MPEG-2 with a couple keystrokes.

I know the all-VOB method I described is pretty crude, but I'm sure it will work sometimes if you happen to get lucky and the video you want is in the right section. 8)

crowbi_wan

thanks for the help to you all.  i know i should just get a dvd burner.   soon, i will.   i'm finding TMPGEnc 3.0 to be a very useful program and shall give it a try with my task.

-brian

lostflower4

Quote from: cult_hero on March 04, 2006, 10:26:56

If you take the VOB files, change the extension to .mpg, and import them into TMPGEnc MPEG Editor â€" the output will be perfect and with no gaps (assuming the files are sequential, of course).

I've tried this. It works, I'm sure. :D

bluewater

I don't know if this answers your question but just a note: there's no need to transfer video_ts folders into mpeg to watch them, at least Power dvd plays video_ts folders as such. Just open the video_ts.ifo file in Power dvd, it plays it like from a dvd disk.

bluewater
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

rjl

Here's a related question... well, the same one, in reverse: how does one (easily) go from high-quality mpg and avi to DVD? I'm in the process of cleaning up my PC (ditching Windows) and came across some videos that I had been dragging my heels on, not knowing what to do with them.

(I'm a moron when it comes to video, but I know that the filesizes are much larger than the typical, VCD-quality 10mb/minute, or whatever it is, so the quality has to be a bit better. The videos are remarkably clear.)

Thanks!

lostflower4

Many MPEG files can be put to DVD without any re-encoding. You just have to be careful.

As for AVI files that you want to put to DVD, that might be more troubling. Unless you made these AVI files yourself, they're already lossy. So to make a DVD, it would involve re-encoding them. For the files I have like this, I just stick to keeping them on the computer. I used to encode some of my lossy files to MPEG, but anymore I just try to find a better copy of a video if I really want it on DVD.

There are way too many DVDs going around with low quality internet files and shit encoding. Just have a look at some of the stuff that appears on torrent. :oops:

I guess I'm on the extreme side of being against overly lossy video formats, but I've just had too many frustrations with them. :twisted: