Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

20 years ago - still a great song (& great bass by Hooky)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRhIAQAiTtY
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

Ulrich

It's not only Robert's birthday, but also Iggy Pop celebrating his 70th today. Here's one of his most famous songs covered by Siouxsie & Co.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAON-MwUPY

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

tzare

Ulrich

Ulrich

New Mogwai album coming in September. I think I can hear a few Cure influences here on this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1UVzJYfao

tzare

I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes, but never enjoyed them. Will try again.

Currently listening to The Sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxK8y7XuEu8&list=PLORSFbm6v6vOOvFT72YS8ANrp8eNiJGwr&index=16

Ulrich

Quote from: tzare on May 17, 2017, 14:11:21
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes

Hey, there's no obligation for us fans to like anything Robert does like (and from what I gathered, he likes/liked a whole lot from Jimi Hendrix & Nick Drake up to The Twilight Sad)!
I know "65 Days of Static" were hand-picked by RS to support during the 2008 tour and they're not too far away from Mogwai sound-wise, but whenever I tried, they never "clicked" with me like Mogwai did. So what...

tzare

Quote from: Ulrich on May 17, 2017, 17:02:48
Quote from: tzare on May 17, 2017, 14:11:21
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes

Hey, there's no obligation for us fans to like anything Robert does like (and from what I gathered, he likes/liked a whole lot from Jimi Hendrix & Nick Drake up to The Twilight Sad)!
I know "65 Days of Static" were hand-picked by RS to support during the 2008 tour and they're not too far away from Mogwai sound-wise, but whenever I tried, they never "clicked" with me like Mogwai did. So what...
i know , but i still try...
i thought that , i like what Robert (and the rest) do, so maybe i could also enjoy what inspires them. But no luck so far  :P
I must say i am not very open to new groups and music, in fact The Cure are the exception of the rule for me, since i am a very 'pop' guy

Ulrich

Quote from: tzare on May 19, 2017, 10:56:49
I must say i am not very open to new groups and music, in fact The Cure are the exception of the rule for me, since i am a very 'pop' guy

Not being open is not good (in my humble opinion). I've listened to all kinds of stuff from rock to classic (including sitting through 4-hour-operas).

"Pop" is not a bad thing - I'm sure you'll find Robert listened to pop songs as well. For example, I remember The Cure had the singer from Republica (Saffron) doing guest vocals on "Just Say Yes".
Also I found this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-the-cures-robert-smith-on-his-musical-influences-20040708
On Your Web site, you cite En Vogue as a band you like. Can you honestly tell me when you last broke out the Funky Divas album?
A few years ago, my CD collection had grown to such insane proportions that I gave away about ninety percent of them. The ones that were left I listed on our Web site. I kept the En Vogue album because I really liked it. Some of it sounded like Janet Jackson – I like some of her stuff. But I wouldn't say I'm a fan. It's partly tongue-in-cheek.

What else did you listen to as a kid?
When punk came along, I found my generation's music. I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, 'cause that was what got played in the house. But when I first saw the Stranglers, I thought, "This is it." And I saw the Buzzcocks the following week, and I thought, "This is definitely it."

-:- Elle Lie -:-

Quote from: Ulrich on May 19, 2017, 19:04:15
On Your Web site, you cite En Vogue as a band you like. Can you honestly tell me when you last broke out the Funky Divas album?
A few years ago, my CD collection had grown to such insane proportions that I gave away about ninety percent of them. The ones that were left I listed on our Web site. I kept the En Vogue album because I really liked it. Some of it sounded like Janet Jackson – I like some of her stuff. But I wouldn't say I'm a fan. It's partly tongue-in-cheek.

"The Velvet Rope" album is excellent. I also listened a lot to "Rhythm Nation 1814" album. But afterwards, it's a matter of taste. Music is above all a feeling. Being open to other styles of music does not make us "bad people". You can be an interpreter of children's songs and be a fan of Marylin Manson !  :)

Ulrich

Quote from: -:- Elle Lie -:- on May 20, 2017, 00:22:29
You can be an interpreter of children's songs and be a fan of Marylin Manson !

Well you can, but I would not recommend it!  :lol:
Never liked Manson (and that includes Charles M. too), then I hear things like he left stage after 20 mins at a headlining show.  :smth011

I'd rather listen to:
https://duncanreidandthebigheads.bandcamp.com/album/bombs-away

tzare

Quote from: Ulrich on May 19, 2017, 19:04:15
Quote from: tzare on May 19, 2017, 10:56:49

Not being open is not good (in my humble opinion). I've listened to all kinds of stuff from rock to classic (including sitting through 4-hour-operas).

"Pop" is not a bad thing - I'm sure you'll find Robert listened to pop songs as well. For example, I remember The Cure had the singer from Republica (Saffron) doing guest vocals on "Just Say Yes".
Also I found this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-the-cures-robert-smith-on-his-musical-influences-20040708

What else did you listen to as a kid?
When punk came along, I found my generation's music. I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, 'cause that was what got played in the house. But when I first saw the Stranglers, I thought, "This is it." And I saw the Buzzcocks the following week, and I thought, "This is definitely it."
Oh, i am aware , but , unfortunately (well my wallet likes it though xD ) my tastes don't allow me to like most of the music i listen to, so at least it isn't because i don't try.

I am, however,slowly getting tired to try new music, i mean i am older, have not much time and patience anymore , i even did not give the latest cure albums the time they deserved back in the day - i am giving them now that time, and i am glad i did,i am really enjoying them!!

The only band that has grown on me lately has been The Sounds, they are pop rock, a little bit like Saffron's former band, Republica, which i liked, and was pleasantly surprised when saw her joint The Cure fur Just say Yes.
I also tried 'En Vogue', but not my cup of tea :(