Robert on Jason Cooper

Started by dsanchez, September 28, 2011, 16:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

patitodark

Quote from: tzare on April 20, 2017, 10:46:00
I do not think it is due to the drummer, but just the music. After Wish the albums are different, not necessarily worse, but each album before WIsh had its own unique personality, that is why i find so difficult to choose one over another, because Faith has nothing to do with Kiss Me or Disintegration or The top. However from Bloodfowers and on, all albums sound kinda 'samey', not as inspired, maybe. I don't think that Jason is the cause, but more of a victim of the sound that Robert is pursuing with the last records.

Boris left more space/air/musical gaps in his drum compositions (yes, they were well-thought compositions as Modern Drummer magazine correctly identified) so the other guys could do their thing. The drums and percussions had their own presence, an ORDER and place in The Cure.
Jason's drumming is just a time-keeping kind of playing, messy most of the time. They have nothing special as i.e. the drum patterns in If only tonight we could sleep, Last Dance, Sinking, High, All cats are grey (Lol Tolhurst on drums)...

And the drummer DOES make a difference. Do you know that Just like heaven, in it's initial phase- was slow and very different? but Boris speed it up and did that simple but powerful intro and fill that made Robert to make adjustments and INSPIRED him to come up with their most popular song up to date.

So, a drummer with a solid idea of what to do, CAN make a difference and INSPIRE the other members of the band.

tzare

Quote from: patitodark on May 26, 2017, 17:17:13
Boris left more space/air/musical gaps in his drum compositions (yes, they were well-thought compositions as Modern Drummer magazine correctly identified) so the other guys could do their thing. The drums and percussions had their own presence, an ORDER and place in The Cure.
Jason's drumming is just a time-keeping kind of playing, messy most of the time. They have nothing special as i.e. the drum patterns in If only tonight we could sleep, Last Dance, Sinking, High, All cats are grey (Lol Tolhurst on drums)...

And the drummer DOES make a difference. Do you know that Just like heaven, in it's initial phase- was slow and very different? but Boris speed it up and did that simple but powerful intro and fill that made Robert to make adjustments and INSPIRED him to come up with their most popular song up to date.

So, a drummer with a solid idea of what to do, CAN make a difference and INSPIRE the other members of the band.

I found this article, which i find quite spot on:

http://oneweekoneband.tumblr.com/post/26946358500/drums-jason-cooper

As i said, my opinion, from someone that just likes the cure and not an expert (if that really exists in such a subjective matter) , is that Boris may be a better drummer,or more creative, or maybe has had the chance to influence Robert much more -or Robert allowed it , at least reading some interviews, including a recent one from Lol talking about the KMx3 era, the band had more inputs and influences from all the members,  instead of just being mainly Robert and then the rest- but that does not mean Jason is a bad drummer.
At all.

In fact after listening to the latest albums with similar attention i did with the others when those were released, i can now confirm that are very are good, and underrated. There are a lot of fantastic songs ,and also the drums are great too, the only think is kinda off is the mixing, the sound isn't as clear as in previous albums when you could 'isolate' the instruments somehow.

And while i still think KMx3 is the best album of the band, Boris era, each studio album is quite different from the others and, Robert has had different personal situations that may have inspired in one way or another so maybe he did not allow Jason (and the others) to have much influence in the latest ones.Who knows.

And live... they sound great. So no complains. As i won't complain about Gabrels despite i  think Porl was better... or maybe he wasn't and i am just biased too. I mean, the band is what they are now. And hopefully we may have a new album and a new tour, probably the last. So enjoy!