"Cured: Tale of Two Imaginary Boys" by Lol Tolhurst

Started by Ulrich, January 18, 2016, 18:24:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: disintegration on September 30, 2016, 11:43:36
I have received my copy today!

Mine arrived today. Looking good. I just started reading another book, but I might put that away for a while in favour of this one!  :-D
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Liza80

Ulrich

Pic (c/o Cindy Tolhurst) of Pearl's artwork being prepared.

Lots more photos of the event can be found here:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2016/10/lol-in-long-beach-ca-oct-20th-2016.html

cheyler

Lol's book is really good, non-stop all the way through, always ready to turn the next page.  Got to meet him two nights ago on his book tour, very smart, very pleasant, very humble, looks back very fondly on his time with The Cure, especially his time on the drum stool and is very happy about the reconciliation with Robert.  In his book, he had especially fond memories of the California gigs in 1981 so I e-mailed him and he said he'd love to hear the Pasadena gig and I told him I'd bring it with me that night.  I ended up bringing Pasadena, Hollywood and San Francisco from July '81, plus Edinburgh from May, then Amsterdam 1979 and the Los Angeles show in 2000 before which he reconciled with Robert and later on Robert dedicated The Figurehead to Lol.  He was especially pleased with the Pasadena show and the 2000 show, but the people he has on the road with him were excited that they had all this great early live Cure to listen to.  If there's a tour stop near you and you haven't decided to go yet, get tickets immediately.  There's a reading, a Q&A and then a sort of signing/chatting thing, although the chat has to be kept to a minimum due to the several hundred people waiting behind you in line.  Great book, great fun, really good man is Lol, great experience to remember always.  Got a few pictures but have to get 'em on the hard drive first, will follow in the next day or two.

MeltingMan

The book is a revelation, especially chapter 19 when he
describes the recording sessions for Disintegration. Shattering
and disarming honest at the same time. I always had the view
that Lol is a multi-talented guy and keen observer. His memoirs
confirm this-once again. I'm also impressed by his voice (at yt)
and writing style, and the decision to write the book was damn
right. It's a delight to see him reunited with Boris, Pearl(Porl) and
current members of The Cure-including Robert. Great job and a
remarkable first hand account!
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

It is a very good book indeed. Just don't expect "accuracy" when it comes to telling the Cure story (pun absolutely intended). For example when he talks about the recording of "Disintegration" Roger isn't even mentioned (only later when he tells about the 2011 "reunion" shows he talks a bit about Roger).
But if you always wanted to know "what's it like being in a band?" this book will give you a reply! It tells a lot about the internal relationships within The Cure from the very start until 1989 (and beyond). Apart from that you'll find anecdotes from the tours and recording sessions.
It is becoming obvious when reading this book that Lol is a person with a good heart, it was just that his alcoholism got in the way. And he makes no excuses about that.
Right now he seems utterly happy with his life & his friendship with Robert and Co., long may it continue!

Ulrich

Ulrich

Lol (via Twitter): "Sun studios . Memphis. Where it all began."

https://twitter.com/LolTolhurst

Pearl's artwork will be on display at Lethal Amounts in Los Angeles! And on the opening night, Dec. 16th, Lol will be there for a 'Cured' book signing event starting at 8 PM.

http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2016/11/pearl-thompson-art-exhibit-in-la.html

Liza80

Just finished this book and really enjoyed it. You have to hand it to Lol. This really could have been a "He said. She said" kind of a story where he basically tells everyone where the bodies are buried-instead he takes full responsibility for what went wrong. That is admirable. I do wonder if Lol himself suffers from some form of PTSD from living with his alcoholic father and that is what led to his own addiction.

Of all the key players, Porl really touched my heart during the few times when he tried to talk some sense into his friend who was spinning out control. I dig Porl.

Anyway definitely worth getting.

Liza

Ulrich

MeltingMan

It appears to me that the French edition of his book has been published.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on January 30, 2017, 11:35:33
It appears to me that the French edition of his book has been published.

Oui, c'est vrai! (That's it with my French... wonder if Lol read the French version in Lyon? Probably not...)
http://www.loltolhurst.com/cured-french-edition

https://www.amazon.fr/Cured-imaginary-boys-Lol-Tolhurst/dp/2360542362/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
Editeur : Le mot et le reste (19 janvier 2017)

simons-sideburn

no it is the turn of Matthieu Hartley to write a book about the recording of the Seventeen Seconds and get some money as well  :-D
The name of the book could be: 37 years and Seventeen Seconds since the final sound.

tzare

Not exact the same topic but i didn't know if it was worth a new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ElXmJpLp4&t=609s

description:
This is a Q& A from April 21st, 2017, after the showing of The Cure in Orange at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Lol sweetly chews on bubble gum as he gingerly answers questions, and Pearl's eyes gleam with mischief, throwing in one liners.

It's wonderful to have met Lol Tolhurst and to see he's retained his innocence after the many dark years. And of course it's wonderful to have seen Pearl Thompson, dazzling. At the end of the Q&A, the interviewer pleads with the audience "don't bum rush us," as 3/4 of 500 attendees stood up to get in line to meet Lol and Pearl, and get Cured signed.

Before the show started, Lol introduced The Cure in Orange, pronouncing it OH-RAWnge as it's pronounced in french. He also took a video of the audience saying "Happy Birthday, Robert" and sent it to Robert Smith. We all waited patiently to see if Robert replied, but by the end of the night he had not.

Ulrich

https://www.loltolhurst.com/events
Jun 10, 2017 (11am) - San Diego, CA
Vinyl Junkies Record Swap
Casbah San Diego
2501 Ketner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101
Tickets are $3 at the door

Jun 20, 2017 (6pm) - Berkeley, CA
Mad Monks Center for Anachronistic Media
2454 Telegraph Ave,
Berkeley, CA 94704

Jun 21, 2017 (5:30pm) - San Francisco
VIP Evening with Lol Tolhurst
This event is limited to 40 people and will include a spoken word performance, question and answer session and the chance to get a photo or an autograph. Address will be provided to ticket holders 24 hours prior to the event.

Jun 21, 2017 (8:30pm) - San Francisco
VIP Evening with Lol Tolhurst (late)
This event is limited to 40 people and will include a spoken word performance, question and answer session and the chance to get a photo or an autograph. Address will be provided to ticket holders 24 hours prior to the event.