Perry sends Birthday Wishes to Robert via FB

Started by dsanchez, April 20, 2017, 20:16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Perry just wrote this moments ago on his FB:

QuoteLet's be honest, growing old is not good -
- unless you're a Cure song.

I'm sure it's just a sign of age when I say I can't find any new music that's any good (if you know different, let me know) but Cure songs just get better and better. With each passing year I appreciate them more, I hear more meaning in the lyrics, I'm amazed at the compositional skill, I'm reminded over and over of the emotional depth and still find new meaning and resonance in them.
Tomorrow is Robert's birthday - wish him a happy one, but maybe you should also say thank you. He has given us immeasurable pleasure. His gift to the world is immense and continual. Be grateful!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

This is the text of Perry's message, extremely kind and complimentary, classy and unexpected too...        ********Let's be honest, growing old is not good - unless you're a Cure song.
I'm sure it's just a sign of age when I say I can't find any new music that's any good (if you know different, let me know) but Cure songs just get better and better. With each passing year I appreciate them more, I hear more meaning in the lyrics, I'm amazed at the compositional skill, I'm reminded over and over of the emotional depth and still find new meaning and resonance in them.
Tomorrow is Robert's birthday - wish him a happy one, but maybe you should also say thank you. He has given us immeasurable pleasure. His gift to the world is immense and continual. Be grateful!

tzare

Nice& classy  from Perry, and great to know about him too!
I really miss him , i don't know why, but he is one of the members of the band that seems to be really nice, and still don't know why he left the band.
Does he have twitter, i don't use FB at all  :smth009

Ulrich

If I had Perry in my FB list, I would "like" this!   :-D
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: tzare on April 21, 2017, 11:19:19

he does not...but we do! follow us on @curefans :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tzare

Quote from: dsanchez on April 21, 2017, 12:49:08

he does not...but we do! follow us on @curefans :)
already do  :smth023

piggymirror

I really miss him , i don't know why, but he is one of the members of the band that seems to be really nice, and still don't know why he left the band.

Not only he left. Daryl left too, not just Perry. I don't think that's a coincidence.

tzare

Quote from: piggymirror on September 28, 2017, 07:46:49

Not only he left. Daryl left too, not just Perry. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Yes , that is what i also read somewhere. I wonder what happened. Didn't Robert get angry with a famous cure internet blog because of the rumours?

Ulrich

What rumours do you mean, tzare?

Daryl left too, not just Perry.

Is that Daryl Bamonte, i.e. Perry's brother?
If so, I wouldn't wonder. Or would you stick around a group who just "sacked" your brother?  :?
(As far as I remember, Perry hasn't "left", he was informed that he was "out of the band". No surprise for me if his brother received the same message - or he just left because he would not want to work for the band without Perry present.)

tzare

Hi!
I can't remeber exactly when or where i read it, but it was about A chain of flowers blog, that posted some rumours pointing some members of The Cure being in 'trouble', can't remember exactly ,  just when the Perry thing happened, and Robert going a bit mad with the blog and internet in general (it is well known that Robert and internet don't mix very well  :D)
But nothing else.

I agree. if your brother is sacked, well, it is normal to leave too. I wonder what happened, though(also with other members like Boris or Porl)

Perry seems to be ok with Robert now so hopefully they get along well now, just like with Lol.

tanyasmith

I think there just comes a time when something that was once really good no longer works. That's why the guys left. I read that Porl left the band because he wanted to be more creative and The Cure was too democratic for his creative flare. Robert doesn't seem to want anybody to be "star players," just wants the group to work as a whole. His leadership has kept the band going for decades, so obviously his leadership instincts are excellent.

Ulrich

Quote from: tzare on September 29, 2017, 11:32:46
I can't remeber exactly when or where i read it, but it was about A chain of flowers blog, that posted some rumours pointing some members of The Cure being in 'trouble', can't remember exactly ,  just when the Perry thing happened, and Robert going a bit mad with the blog

Hm, I can imagine that. I got a bit annoyed with the blog too when they spread the rumour that Severin and some other bloke were going to join (which was completely untrue) and this was being printed in Jeff Apter's book about the Cure in 2005 (it was corrected in later editions, I think).  :smth011

Quote from: tzare on September 29, 2017, 11:32:46
I agree. if your brother is sacked, well, it is normal to leave too. I wonder what happened, though(also with other members like Boris or Porl)

What happened, in my humble opinion, is that Robert felt that it was time for a "change".

As tanya pointed out already, Porl left in '93 because he didn't want to be restricted to (mainly) Robert's ideas. No idea about Boris, maybe he missed Porl (he left a while after him)?

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on September 30, 2017, 13:04:24As tanya pointed out already, Porl left in '93 because he didn't want to be restricted to (mainly) Robert's ideas. No idea about Boris, maybe he missed Porl (he left a while after him)?

There's this youtube with an MTV interview with Robert on their way to Olympia in London in 1992.
At 30:00, the camera goes to Boris and Porl, and they hint that they'll leave the band.

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on September 28, 2017, 15:54:57
Daryl left too, not just Perry.

Is that Daryl Bamonte, i.e. Perry's brother?
If so, I wouldn't wonder. Or would you stick around a group who just "sacked" your brother?  :?
(As far as I remember, Perry hasn't "left", he was informed that he was "out of the band". No surprise for me if his brother received the same message - or he just left because he would not want to work for the band without Perry present.)

I meant Daryl Bamonte, of course.

One can only wonder about the reason behind Daryl, Perry and Roger leaving.

But Roger came back, and Perry and Daryl didn't.
Go figure, maybe the main reason was Daryl and not Perry.

Anyway, Daryl knows a great deal about The Cure and his other band, Depeche Mode.
We've heard him enough talking about Depeche Mode, but it would also be extremely interesting to hear him more about The Cure, where he was for a bit less long (1995-2005) as he was in Depeche Mode (1980-1995).

Ulrich

Thanks for the video link, will watch this in full later on!  :smth023
(Of course Porl & Boris would think about other things to do, as Robert said his usual "it will be the last tour"...)

Quote from: piggymirror on October 04, 2017, 03:09:52
One can only wonder about the reason behind Daryl, Perry and Roger leaving.

"Leaving" is putting it mildly, I had the impression that they were "fired".

Quote from: piggymirror on October 04, 2017, 03:09:52
But Roger came back, and Perry and Daryl didn't.

Roger was asked to come back and he agreed.
Back then (in 2005) he didn't seem too happy about the way he was sacked (by fax or similar "unpersonal message", as far as I recall):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4591191.stm