Catch (song & video)

Started by Ulrich, May 02, 2017, 17:03:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

I tried "search", but couldn't find a topic on this song or the video.

Didn't know Tim Pope posted this short "making of" on his website:
http://www.timpope.tv/portfolio/shooting-the-cures-1987-catch-video
QuoteThe whole location in Nice, France, stank of dog shit. Tortoises were everywhere, cooking in the sun like boil-in-a-bag crustaceans, and we found another room that was just like something Miss Faversham would have lived in. It was filled with rotting ballerinas' dresses and rag dolls with maggots in. The elderly lady who owned the joint came down the spiral staircase, like Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard". It was a surreal day, mainly for seeing The Cure in daylight.
:lol:

The video itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPnYXldfY8
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

-:- Elle Lie -:-

Thanks for sharing, this is the first time I see this video.
Strangely, they chose very well the place for the shooting of the clip. Even the lady who lends her house (or manor) is in keeping with the Cure spirit, it's fun ! Besides, I'm sure she didn't even know them when they came in her home... Oh, another group of young people  :lol:

Ulrich

Quote from: -:- Elle Lie -:- on May 14, 2017, 01:05:10
Strangely, they chose very well the place for the shooting of the clip.

I've always liked this video, because: it fits the song, it helped bring across the "image" of the band (incl. Robert's typical shoes at the time!), the sea looks so blue and the house looks nice, as if they were on a holiday. It's quite a "romantic" song...

-:- Elle Lie -:-

Yes, it's really beautiful ! If I refer to Wikipedia, this video was shot at the Villa Beau Site in Nice. Apparently, the lady we see in the "making of" was called Gisèle Tissier, owner since 1948. This villa is now classified as a historical monument.

This video is also one that I appreciate very much. It's one of the clips I saw over and over again on TV when I was pfff ... young, when we saw The Cure everywhere and all the time on French television. So very good memories !

Ulrich

I already linked this article elsewhere in this forum, but here is the part that deals with "Catch":

Quote...following 'The Kiss' with 'Catch' is almost the perfect definition of a 180 turn, and again, if the idea was to project confidence in the band doing whatever the heck it wanted to, the group nailed it. Unsurprisingly a single, one of the album's four, and less than half as short as 'The Kiss' was, 'Catch' seemingly exists as a perfect fillip, light and breezy sounding, Smith in regret and reflection mode rather than rage. Williams's drumming, his skilled and just-so intros now a firm part of what the band could do, kicks it off and sets a gentle tone, and from there it's also sweet sorrow in the gentle sway of the singing, the bursts of acoustic guitar here and there, the violin keyboard part. Tim Pope's video for the song so excellently captures the feeling of the song, the idea of something delicate and sun-kissed playing while wandering the Mediterranean coast of France.
http://thequietus.com/articles/22262-the-cure-kiss-me-kiss-me-kiss-me-review-anniversary

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Intresting!!

My fav Cure song of all time ❤️❤️❤️❤️