Roger Waters live in Budapest.
CLT Perfect Sense  8)

nod to m  ;) :smth023
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

rjl

Lately it's been a steady mix of My Bloody Valentine, Guns N' Roses and the Bee Gees...

:shock:

Steve

That's a "steady" mix??  :shock:

CLT Ahréyeph's cover version of Summer (by The Sisters of Mercy).

So heavy, you can't lift it off the turntable  8)
Cheers
Steve

rjl

Fine - a "near constant rotation of" ...

:smth023

Steve

CLT Porcupine Tree.    Arriving Somewhere.

V nice 8)
Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

everytime i put this record on and i know exactly why new order is so utterly full of crap.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Steve

:smth043

Oh Marika. Please just say what you mean  ;)
I was listening to Warsaw in the car earlier.
New Order had their moments thought.
Movement is brilliant, Power Corruption & Lies wasn't bad & Low Life has some stunning stuff on it.
Since then, however, you are right. Utter bollox.

Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

yes i know i know... i must be on a warpath again.  :twisted:
but let me explain myself:
i decided to try and listen to 'low life' again the other day, like "let's give these guys another chance".
but 'love vigilantes': now that's got to be one of the most stupid songs EVER written - everything in it is plain awful. it's musically annoying, the lyrics are horrible (and b. sumner whining those particular lyrics just adds to the pain...) - it's so cheesy that it makes you want to shoot yourself to the foot, just to feel something else. i just couldn't stand it, i could never even finish that one song and so never got into perfect kiss & the rest, sorry! 
;)

currently listening:

Steve

Good point, well made.
I like you, you make me smile  :D
But, can't you just skip straight to Sunrise or Elegia?
CLT

I love this band 8)
Cheers
Steve

Janko

LOW

I LOVE LOW

:D

I'M STUNNED WITH ALL THIS NEW ORDER BASHING...

YOU DONT HAVE TO GO FURTHER FROM THEIR LAST TWO ALBUMS TO ADMIT HOW GREAT THEY ARE!

AND THE FACT IS, THEY ARE STILL RELEVANT BAND WHICH STILL DICTATES HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE IN ALTERNATIVE MUSIC SCENE...

I CANT SAY THE SAME FOR MANY, MANY OLD ALTERNATIVE BANDS. THE CURE INCLUDED...

PS

ALSO:
JOY DIVISION ARE THE ONE THING
NEW ORDER ARE THE SECOND THING

YOU CAN'T JUST COMPARE THE TWO!!!

:smth011

THEY ARE BOTH GREAT IN THEIR OWN FEILD...
THIS IS SIMILAR TO THE FACT THAT MANY BANDS HAVE TWO OR THREE SEPARATE AND TOTALLY DIFFERENT STAGES IN THEIR CAREER AND YOU CANT JUST COMPARE THEM AND BE REALLY FAIR... (FOR EXAMPLE COMPARE PUBLIC IMAGE LTD FROM 1978, FROM 1983 AND FROM 1992 - THREE DIFFERENT BUT EVENLY GREAT BANDS!)

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on April 28, 2007, 13:13:25
LOW
ALSO:
JOY DIVISION ARE THE ONE THING
NEW ORDER ARE THE SECOND THING

YOU CAN'T JUST COMPARE THE TWO!!!

:smth011

yes i agree. and actually i don't aim at comparing the two, although it might seem so.
i just don't find anything much interesting in new order (apart from a few individual tracks).
and thus it often makes me really disappointed, to see they utter musical regression after joy division was over. and i do not mean they became bad because they became different than joy division - it's actually a good thing that they didn't try to continue something exactly similar to joy division. that would have been the worst choice, probably. yet i just find they never find anything much to say afterwards. what little there is is destroyed by mr. sumner. he's really one of the most amazingly poor vocalists ever, i stand with this conviction. but that's just my opinion of course. so in any case i don't think it has to be anything dramatic here. if someone here likes them, that's fine. of course i'm not aiming at bashing people who like them, that's just all right with me of course.
i guess i just like to bash them because for me they seem to be totally irrelevant.
:)

honestly, i've tried to like them, or at least tried to follow their career. the last new order album i ever bought was 'get ready' which was a really  huuge disappointment for me, once again.

Steve

Fair point Janko (STILL SHOUTING  ;))
& my point was that there are some awesome NO songs around.
However, if you consider State Of The Nation & Shellshocked, you can't help but (well, I can't)reach for the remote to skip them or turn them off completely.
Yep, they are not & never will be JD & no-one else will be either (despite a few p!ss poor efforts to copy them), but you also have to ask yourself, how is it that 3 members of one of the best bands ever went on to produce the audio abomination that is Confusion?
Can't be that Curtis was the only person in JD with some sort of dignity surely!
That said, the Cure are also guilty of churning out crap (six different ways, close to me,the whole of wild mood swings) & they also desrve a good bashing from people who know just how good the cure can be if they tried.
NO should take note.
My motto is if you don't like it, don't listen to it, so I don't.
On a more relevant (thread related) note, CLT

The live version of New Dawn Fades  8)
Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on April 28, 2007, 14:21:22
but you also have to ask yourself, how is it that 3 members of one of the best bands ever went on to produce the audio abomination that is Confusion?
surely, bashing someone on and on accomplishes nothing and is no good food for conversation, i admit that.
anyway, that's pretty much what annoys me so much about NO: how come those guys ever managed it?

and so, i just gave 'low life' another chance (naturally skipping 'love vigilantes' altogether ;)).
'sunrise' isn't too bad as a song -- i'm sure i could like it if someone made a decent cover version of it. i guess with me it pretty much focuses on mr. sumner: that track is just an amazing example, i think. honestly, when i listen to 'sunrise' i can't help it but to imagine i'm listening to some funny gag-reel from last week's local 'idols' show, where some poor wanna-be-a-singer-no-matter-what kind of dude is trying to cover a song although he can't sing shit. that's honestly as bad as it sounds to me, mr. sumner's singing. and so i can never understand how it is possible that musicians like that didn't manage (or even want to try to manage) to find someone else to sing for them! to me it's almost like a bad joke that just keeps going on and on, year after year.
so actually, as long as they stay instrumental ('elegia') i can start to imagine what it all could have been -- yet as i proceed with the album and 'sooner than you think' hits in with its "hello, everyone, it's nice to be here..." and the illusion is smashed to pieces...
and then, the semi-disco-hell of 'sub-culture' follows with it's classic opening lines of "i like walking in the park...." -- no.... :(

ok ok sorry guys, i know i should go home and feel ashamed. but i'm not just writing all this in order to mindlessly bash-bash-bash some band. it honestly never ceases to puzzle me, how come they turned out like that. and although comparing JD and NO is pointless i do think there are fair reasons to ask those questions and maybe also discuss them a bit.

but in case a change of subject is preferred, currently:

even if one disliked his style musically and didn't care about his kind of guitar tricks either, one cannot but admire the natural plasticism of his vocals.

rjl

"Oh Father", by Madonna. Yeah, I know. Madonna.

I heard a fragment of this song (well, and the video) many years (17, 18!?) ago, and actually liked it a lot. However, I never got the name of it. All I could remember was a little melody from it, and that there was snow in the video. And that it was an insanely sad song. Over the years I must have hummed that one line a zillion times over, hoping someone could tell me what it is. Nope.

I stayed in last night, cleaning and goofing around when the thought occurred to me - if there was a video, YouTube has it. And it did. And now the hunt is over. It was a single off of Like A Prayer, but I guess it was pretty obscure. It wasn't even on that Immaculate Hits collection.

The video, as it turns out, was directed by David Fincher (!!!). And is still more than a bit creepy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tU2Fv5eA1_g

Finally. A nearly 18-year mystery solved!!

Alright, I'm done talking about Madonna.

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 28, 2007, 15:48:26and so, i just gave 'low life' another chance (naturally skipping 'love vigilantes' altogether ;)).
'sunrise' isn't too bad as a song -- i'm sure i could like it if someone made a decent cover version of it. i guess with me it pretty much focuses on mr. sumner: that track is just an amazing example, i think. honestly, when i listen to 'sunrise' i can't help it but to imagine i'm listening to some funny gag-reel from last week's local 'idols' show, where some poor wanna-be-a-singer-no-matter-what kind of dude is trying to cover a song although he can't sing shit. that's honestly as bad as it sounds to me, mr. sumner's singing. and so i can never understand how it is possible that musicians like that didn't manage (or even want to try to manage) to find someone else to sing for them! to me it's almost like a bad joke that just keeps going on and on, year after year.

That's my problem with New Order too. The guy's voice just doesn't do it for me. It sounds really generic and uninspired to me. I actually like some of their music quite a bit, but then the voice just ruins in. I also think some of their lyrics are pretty dumb.

I would like a place I could call my own
Have a conversation on the telephone

This is the guy's life ambition? And he's having trouble achieving it? :oops: