the cure guitar effects

Started by vgar, May 29, 2006, 07:54:09

Previous topic - Next topic

vgar

Hello every one..
I'm kind of new to guitar playing.. I'm starting now on more difficult stuff.. and what better than the cures guitar playing.. do any one knows were I can get guitar gear info.. and most important what effects are use on the cure's best songs.

thak you all people who share info whit others...

crowbi_wan

here's robert's set-up from '96.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/149/

his pedals, at least to my knowledge, have remained basically the same through the years.  i believe he has a boss bd-1 blues driver in there now.  as far as his amps go, where to start?  robert's used anything from vox, orange, marshall, peavy, line 6, ampeg, and of course roland in various combinations and by themselves.   getting a roland jazz chorus (120 or 90) will help capture that "classic" cure sound.   really an amp isn't as important as the boss effects when trying to capture the cure's sound.  just make sure the amp sounds good on clean.  i'm a marshall and vox fan myself.   with modeling amps/effect (i recommend a line-6 pod if you plan on doing any recording) you can produce the sound of pretty much amp.  the effects on these modulators aren't very good, but the amps are nice.   hope this helps.  

-brian

splitmilk34

In my opinion here is what you need to get that "Cure" sound:  A Boss Flanger (or any decent flanger), Wah pedal (I like the Dunlop Cry Baby Classic), a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal, a really good Chorus effect (whether built in on the amp, or Boss/Digitech pedal), and a Boss DD-6 Delay pedal.  Amps are up to you, but I prefer Roland JC-120's.  Guitars also make quite a bit of difference.  I find it easier to get a Cure feel out of Strats, Gretsch and any "plugged-in" acoustic rather than Gibson SG's or Les Pauls (or any Ibanez guitar)... Just my personal feeling.  The backbone of it all, though, is the Fender Bass VI (6-string bass) which you aren't getting without spending more than $2000.  Just make sure you have chorus, delay and flange (with a little distortion of toughness) and you'll be all set.
"... sleeping less every night"

carnagevisors

I have a Line6, flextone II. Any of you is familiar with it? Any of you has a perfect setup for it?

vgar

I got a Boss ME-50 think, dont have that much stuff,. a traynor valve amp and a strat.. think i can get the sound whit that?

strange_day

i also have the boss ME-50, both chorus and flanger effects are good but the only down side is you cant have both at the same time, but its got a good delay feature and the phaser sound is exactly like porl uses in songs like 'from the edge' and 'end'......and even more songs at the RAH gig this year eg. 'fascination street'  :smt035

crowbi_wan

So, I went looking at multi-effects pedals this weekend.  Zoom's G2.1U impressed me so much I bought one after 5 minutes of testing it.  It takes some getting used to, but after reading the manual and playing around with it for a half hour I was able to get some great Cure tones.  For amp models you get a Roland Jazz Chorus, Vox AC30, 2 Marshalls, and a few others.  9 effects can be used at the same time.  Many of the multi-effects pedals only allow you to use one modulation effect (chorus, flanger).  How can you capture The Cure's sound this way?  You can't.  That's why this pedal is great.  Another nice thing is it has knobs for tweaking tones and levels just like stomp boxes.  Best of all, the expresion pedal.  It can control whatever effect you assign to it (wah, volume, modulation, delay, drive, and reverb).   Some reviews of this pedal said the distortion was "muddy".  A few of them are.  However, there are several to choose from.  You just need to find what works with your gear.  I am playing an Epiphone Alleykat to this pedal through a 50w Marshall and am able to get great Cure tones.   I highly recommend this pedal.