"Cured: Tale of Two Imaginary Boys" by Lol Tolhurst

Started by Ulrich, January 18, 2016, 18:24:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Looks like Lol Tolhurst has written a book about his time with Robert & The Cure. Supposed to be released later this year (October), tentatively titled "Cured: Memoir of Two Imaginary Boys":

QuoteMemoir by founding member of legendary British post-punk/goth band The Cure, childhood best friend of their iconic lead singer Robert Smith.
http://www.amazon.de/Cured-Memoir-Two-Imaginary-Boys/dp/0306824280

See also:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.it/2016/01/lol-writing-new-cure-book.html
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Liza80

This sounds like it will be a great read. Lol has an active Twitter account (which I follow) and he seems to be doing really well, living in LA with 25 years sobriety, a vegan diet and an active yoga practice. Doesn't even smoke anymore. Very different from the Lol of old and I would be curious to hear his side of things, as all Cure fans, including me, tend to side with Robert.

Liza

Ulrich

Well, judging from his post about "Disintegration" a while ago, he seems to (partly) blame himself. And mentioned how his life in LA was/is much better. :)

http://curefans.com/curenews/lol's-thoughts-on-the-25th-anniversary-of-disintegration/
Somehow I eventually resurfaced in California ,and found a liberation from my personal demons and learnt to live again. I feel that, in a way, Los Angeles saved my life. I will always be grateful.

So as the years passed communications and friendship returned. Eventually all the nonsense and sadness and pain I had caused myself and the others dissolved .

Ulrich

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/quercus-acquires-memoir-co-founder-cure-331281
Quercus has acquired the memoir of Lol Tolhurst, one of the founding members of The Cure.

Richard Milner, publishing director for non-fiction, bought the book at a "hard-fought" auction from Caspian Dennis, acting on behalf of Peter McGuigan at Foundry. North American rights were bought by Ben Shafer at Da Capo Press, and translation rights are being handled by Kirsten Neuhaus at Foundry.

Milner said: "I count myself as one of the old Cure fans Lol refers to, and we're all really excited to be publishing his book. Cured is both an affecting friendship memoir and a transportative account of what happens to a suburban 70s dreamer when he becomes a global pop star."

Tolhurst, also the former drummer and keyboardist for the band, said: "For many of my generation the Cure has been a huge part of their lives, but for me it's been my whole life. Robert and I have known each other since we were five-years-old. I'm really looking forward to sharing the ups and downs, and in-between days, of my life in the Cure with fans old and new. Writing Cured has been a totally cathartic experience for me. I feel like I have waited my whole life to tell this story."

Cured will publish on 22nd September 2016 in hardback, priced £20.00.

Ulrich

dsanchez

Book can be pre-ordered now in Amazon UK, release date 22 Sep 2016. Check here

A tiny amount from sales through the link above will be used to cover curefans.com hosting fees so if you plan to buy this book, try to do it this way :smth020

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Interview with Lol about the book:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/boys-dont-cry-a-story-of-rock-n-roll-and-surviving-the-cure

Just a few quotes:
QuoteI know Cure fans that could write a better biography than me, because they're so obsessed with the facts and figures that they have them all in their head and they could write it perfectly. But that wasn't what I wanted to write. I wanted to explain how things started, because nobody knows that. They don't know how we started and how it was to grow up where we grew up and why that made us do what we did. And so I wanted to explain that to myself first and just move on from there.

Yes, it's a book about the band, and in the end that's going to be the same story, but ultimately I wanted it to dig further than that, because it's the story of the time that I grew up in and what happened to the people of that time and where they are now and how life is now and how it affects everybody.

Ulrich

Should be interesting!

http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2016/08/some-fun-cured-stuff-coming-soon.html

QuoteIn Cured Lol threads the genesis of The Cure through his schoolboy years with Smith, the iconic leader of the group, and the bands most successful era in the 1980s. He takes us up to the present day, a riveting forty years since the band's inception.

The band's journey to worldwide success is woven into a story not only of great highs and lows but also of love, friendship, pain, forgiveness and, ultimately, redemption on a beach in Hawaii.

Cured highlights those parts of the creative journey that are not normally revealed to fans, incorporating many first-hand recollections around Lol's personal odyssey. From suburban London to the Mojave Desert, Cured brings an acute eye for the times to bear on a lifelong friendship, with tales of addiction and despair along the way.

Join us for exclusives

Chain of Flowers is working with Quercus and Lol to bring you, the real fans, exclusive material. Starting on 29 August we'll be offering an exclusive each week on the site including unseen photos of The Cure from Lol's personal album.

Quote from: dsanchez on July 17, 2016, 16:24:56
A tiny amount from sales through the link above will be used to cover curefans.com hosting fees so if you plan to buy this book, try to do it this way

Erm, what about Amazon.de? As I buy some stuff there (from time to time) anyway, I'd actually prefer this.  :roll:

Ulrich

http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2016/07/lols-cured-book-tour.html

QuoteUK dates have been confirmed! Here's the complete schedule:

Wednesday 21st September - Waterstones, Camden

Thursday 22nd September - Waterstones, Manchester - Deansgate

Saturday 24th September - Rough Trade, London

Monday 26th September - Toppings, Bath

Wednesday 28th September – Off the Shelf Festival, Sheffield

More dates incl. USA & Europe are promised for this/next year.

Ulrich

cheyler

Well at least ONE member of The Cure is coming to Seattle.  It'll be nice to say hello to him and have him sign the book.  Pearl will be making appearances in select cities, hope one of them is Seattle.  I mentioned Vancouver to Lol and he immediately remembered the Commodore Ballroom and the date of the gig; he recalls the gig with enthusiasm, that's for sure.  Those four West Coast dates in July 1981 were pretty spectacular.

cheyler

Bought a signed copy of the book and a front row seat for the Seattle stop on the book tour, very reasonably priced, and my wife will get the opportunity to meet Lol as well.  Should be fun!

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on September 12, 2016, 21:08:58
Well at least ONE member of The Cure is coming to Seattle.

Now you're kidding! I'm almost certain this will be cancelled at the very last minute.  ;)

Ulrich

Here are the U.S. book tour dates by the way:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2016/09/cured-us-book-tour-dates.html

Thu 13-Oct – Bookends (Ridgewood, NJ)
Fri 14-Oct – Book Revue (Long Island, NY)
Sat 15-Oct – Morrison Gallery (NYC, NY)
Wed 19-Oct – Grammy Museum (Los Angeles, CA)
Thu 20-Oct – Fingerprints (Long Beach, CA)
Fri 21-Oct – Book Soup (West Hollywood, CA)
Sat 22-Oct – The Casbah (San Diego, CA)
Tues 25-Oct – Powell's (Portland, OR)
Fri 28-Oct – KEXP Studio (Seattle, WA)

Wed 2-Nov – MeowMeowz (Pasadena, CA)
Fri 4-Nov - Zia Records (Las Vegas, NV)
Sun 6-Nov – Zia Records (Phoenix, AZ)
Mon 7-Nov – Bookworks (Albuquerque, NM)
The 10-Nov – The Music District (Ft. Collins, CO)
Fri 11-Nov – Tattered Cover/Twist & Shout (Denver, CO)
Sat 12-Nov – Boulder Book Store (Boulder, CO)
Mon 14-Nov – Book People (Austin, TX)
Thu 17-Nov – Record Ranch/Cactus Music (Houston, TX)

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on September 13, 2016, 11:04:21
Quote from: cheyler on September 12, 2016, 21:08:58
Well at least ONE member of The Cure is coming to Seattle.

Now you're kidding! I'm almost certain this will be cancelled at the very last minute.  ;)

Exactly!  Hadn't even considered that, that would suck.  Should work out all right though.  Absolute minimum, I'll get a signed copy of the book.