2007.07.27 Naeba 'Fuji Rock Festival' (Japan)

Started by bomber2007, March 12, 2007, 02:04:19

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 28, 2007, 09:25:00
Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 28, 2007, 04:04:05
I was really hoping for some new material.  After all, aren't they touring to promote and eventually support a new album? 

no. just like someone already said in this thread (i think), they aren't touring yet and they surely have no album to promote yet - this was only a summer festival gig. i wasn't expecting any new songs songs either. i'm glad the setlist was actually a bit better than the first draft although i was hoping for some surprises (i mean some old songs). a fool's hope, of course.

So it was a festival gig.  That means they can't play new stuff?  :?  What about the 1995 Festivals and early 1996 festivals?  They played Want, Jupiter Crash, and Mint Car at every gig.  I think a festival would have been the perfect place to debut at least one new song.  Surely they have a single in mind, one that would have fit in nicely with this singles driven set.

strange_day

Setlist isnt that bad, dont forget, it wasnt a Cure event so theyve got to play to people who might not be there just for them.
Im surpised they didnt play any new songs, it wouldve been good to hear something. I guess they will when they do proper Cure shows in the next few weeks.

Its interesting reading everyones comments about the setlist being predictable, to be fair they vary it more than they used to (look at the Kissing Tour - same set nearly every night) and they vary their setlists more than any other band i can think of, just look at Depeche Mode, it must be quite disapointing knowing that they'll play the same set every night.

The thing is, theyre still here, and im just grateful for that, if nothing else.

cult_hero

and not to forget it was their first appearance in japan since 1984. they could have played "jingle bells" and the fans there were also happy i think... ;)

Druide

setlist

open, fascination, from the edge, kyoto song, hot, alt end, walk, the end of the world, love song, picture of you, lullaby, inbetween days, friday, just like heaven, if only tonight, kiss, shake, never enough, wrong number, 100 years, end.
E1 lets go to bed, close to me, wciby
E2 forest, boys don t cry

Total Time 138 min

So a show of shit !!!! sorry but i m thinking that !!! Miami 2...
Cure had played in front about 30000 or 40000 japaneses...they like very much only the pop songs, but when 100 years arrived, many people get out... many plane and money for THAT !!!!! not good....sorry im very disapointed in this time !!!

I hope the best for HongKong and Singapore....

See you childs
...Dancing in my pocket...

Druide

lostflower4

Quote from: cult_hero on July 28, 2007, 18:10:56
and not to forget it was their first appearance in japan since 1984. they could have played "jingle bells" and the fans there were also happy i think... ;)

Heck, I think I might have been happy if they played Jingle Bells. At least they'd be playing something different for once. :lol:

But this setlist has gotten better with every update. Maybe I should hold my tongue the next time around. Nice to see Kyoto Song in there â€" I wonder what it sounded like!

Sussex

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 28, 2007, 18:17:36
Maybe I should hold my tongue the next time around. Nice to see Kyoto Song in there â€" I wonder what it sounded like!

:smth023
"Thick As Shit"

Sussex

"Thick As Shit"

Matti

Nice to see Kyoto Song in there â€" I wonder what it sounded like!
I wonder what the whole thing sounded like, really curious to know - and how soon the boots are gonna leak...
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Druide

Quote from: Matti on July 28, 2007, 18:24:20
I wonder what the whole thing sounded like, really curious to know - and how soon the boots are gonna leak...

I think boots will be better than the setlist....without problem   :evil:

:smth011

japanesebaby

...for all the songs they haven't played for ages and which they could have picked... and they pick that goddamn kyoto song??? :smth011  :smth100 :evil: !!!!

:roll: ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 28, 2007, 15:13:25
Quote from: japanesebaby on July 28, 2007, 09:25:00
Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 28, 2007, 04:04:05
I was really hoping for some new material.  After all, aren't they touring to promote and eventually support a new album? 

no. just like someone already said in this thread (i think), they aren't touring yet and they surely have no album to promote yet - this was only a summer festival gig. i wasn't expecting any new songs songs either. i'm glad the setlist was actually a bit better than the first draft although i was hoping for some surprises (i mean some old songs). a fool's hope, of course.

So it was a festival gig.  That means they can't play new stuff?  :?  What about the 1995 Festivals and early 1996 festivals?  They played Want, Jupiter Crash, and Mint Car at every gig.  I think a festival would have been the perfect place to debut at least one new song.  Surely they have a single in mind, one that would have fit in nicely with this singles driven set.

sure they did, but 95/96 was over ten years ago. there's a big difference between the cure then and the cure now, to me.
and hasn't predictability been like their second nature in the last few years? (ever since the dream tour, how many times have they really really surprised us?)

@druide: sorry to hear that! i hope you enjoyed rest of "my homeland" anyway... sushi was good yes? ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

cult_hero

me too!

Dillinger

i must be the only person who would be happy seeing a pop heavy cure show. then again i'd still want a few of the "classic" cure songs

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 28, 2007, 19:10:01...for all the songs they haven't played for ages and which they could have picked... and they pick that goddamn kyoto song??? :smth011  :smth100 :evil: !!!!

:roll: ;)

But they were playing it in Japan!

I think it proves that they actually *did* put a little thought into the setlist after all. :shock: