2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

jbud1980

statements like that and situations like this always make me say i wish i were ten years older. seriously, i turned 28 a few months ago and i could not be more appalled at the current state of music. yes, i grew up with great bands like the smashing pumpkins, alice in chains and rage against the machine, yet by the time i was old enough to see these bands live, they had already disbanded. most new music seems to lack passion and sounds extremely repetitive, with an ultimate goal of selling out, and selling out quickly. i envy those who could say they saw the cure at dodger stadium in 1989 or irvine meadows back in 1985, i really do. however, i have been fortunate enough to see the cure a total of five times in the past five years, and we all know that all good things come to an end. it just sucks to be this age and to have absolutely no musical outlet except for the bands of a generation i can't empathize with.  :?

fiction

Quote from: jbud1980 on December 27, 2008, 00:33:54
statements like that and situations like this always make me say i wish i were ten years older. seriously, i turned 28 a few months ago and i could not be more appalled at the current state of music.

it just sucks to be this age and to have absolutely no musical outlet except for the bands of a generation i can't empathize with.  :?

Well I think these thoughts of Yours are common thoughts, atleast not unusuall. I have heard lots of people who are 20 years older than You said the same thing and wishing they could have seen Stones, Cream, Beatles, Dylan or Paul Koosof in the 60´s and 70´s. Before their heroes got old, disbanded, died or just because they wanted to see them in their cradle year, their prime time.

So hang in there and enjoy Your part of the musical cykle. It can´t e that bad, huh?
again and again and again and again and again and...

lostflower4

Quote from: jbud1980 on December 27, 2008, 00:33:54statements like that and situations like this always make me say i wish i were ten years older. seriously, i turned 28 a few months ago and i could not be more appalled at the current state of music. yes, i grew up with great bands like the smashing pumpkins, alice in chains and rage against the machine, yet by the time i was old enough to see these bands live, they had already disbanded. most new music seems to lack passion and sounds extremely repetitive, with an ultimate goal of selling out, and selling out quickly. i envy those who could say they saw the cure at dodger stadium in 1989 or irvine meadows back in 1985, i really do. however, i have been fortunate enough to see the cure a total of five times in the past five years, and we all know that all good things come to an end. it just sucks to be this age and to have absolutely no musical outlet except for the bands of a generation i can't empathize with.  :?

Well, I'm only 29 and I feel fortunate to have discovered them in 1992 when they were still at their peak, in my opinion. It was cool to see them get recognition they really deserved

However, I do find it sad that things changed so quickly after that — with the departure of Porl and Boris, etc., along with a general shift in music trends.

While I came to accept the lineups after this, they've never had the same power since Mr. Williams left the band. And while I know saying this kind of thing might offend some people, I'm sure that's just one of the many reasons that people look at the '80s Cure so fondly, whether they may realize it or not).

As for this recent "end of the band" talk, I can't take it too seriously one way or the other. I suspect that it's nearly impossible for Robert to completely stop doing The Cure, and there's obviously a ton of evidence supporting this view.

However... While few will argue that the band is still at its peak, they are still very respectable performers and I would honestly hope they stop before that changes.

Unfortunately, I think that Robert is having some serious issues with his voice. Just take what happened in the middle of the last North American tour, the Rome MTV special in October, and the recent KROQ show. It's amazing he managed to recover in between that time, but it suggests that something just isn't quite right there.

And frankly, it's pretty embarrassing when you see "classic" band and the lead singer can't sing anymore. I'm not saying it's embarrassing for The Cure yet since it's an on and off thing, but I'm starting to wonder how much longer he can hold it all together.

In the end, I won't have too many complaints when the band completely comes to an end. They've already had more meaningful output than just about any other band in history, so I think we should just be thankful for that.

Also, Robert once said that more unreleased stuff is likely to come out when The Cure is officially done — so I'm sure we'll still get our fill from time to time.  :D

nadia-domingos

it is kinda sad :'( but at the same time it's true what he says.. but the'll never end, not for me. they'll always be alive in my heart and in my life, till i die :)

We all look so perfect as we all fall down...

boo

:( ... i believe the "dark album" will be their last. maybe another big concert ("to close the circle") and a few shows around the world but that's it. sad but we have to face it. and if you look closely Roberts hair is going. I was quite amazed/shocked how "bald" he looked during the wembley gig at the end of the show...

jbud1980

Quote from: jbud1980 on December 27, 2008, 00:33:54
So hang in there and enjoy Your part of the musical cykle. It can´t e that bad, huh?

No, I guess it isn't that bad, probably because I do not listen to the radio anymore. If I do, it is a classic rock station. The Mars Volta and Muse are two newer bands I am quite fond of, and have seen live a few times.   8)

I keep picturing myself telling my kids about the multiple Cure concerts I attended just like my dad tells me about the multiple Zeppelin concerts he went  to.  :smth023

boo

i did listen to the interview and it doesnt sound that bad... i mean robert is realistic by what he is saying. why should he drag himself on stage when he doesnt feel like doing it anymore? he certainly doesnt need the money.
i give them another 5 years... robert is going to be nearly 55 by then (its the early retirement age for men here in the uk....lol)

M

Don't he dare quitting..I wish I hadn't heard that stupid interview :smth022

boo

quite a few bands made the mistake to carry on after they past their sell-by date and lost their dignity.... Robert won't make the same mistake and i admire him for that... as hard as it's going to be ....

DJscribbles

THINK OF THE CHILDREN, THINK OF THE CHILDREN DAMN IT!!

oh god, please no. they still have so many years left!! they still have so much to do - like play south america, etc. etc. play the places they never did! HE'S NOT QUITE 50 YET!! others much older than them continued to play with dignity still intact! aretha franklin for example, many others!! and what is he going to do for the rest of his life? they are going too early - the fans still want more.
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true

lostflower4

Quote from: DJscribbles on December 29, 2008, 21:34:45
THINK OF THE CHILDREN, THINK OF THE CHILDREN DAMN IT!!

But there will always be some youngsters who like The Cure, even if Robert lives to be 100. When does it stop?  :lol:

Anyway, I have to say I'm really on the fence about how they should plot their future. I was just watching the Charlotte 2008 TV broadcast last night, and I was really blown away by how tight they sounded, as well as how good Robert's voice sounded. Especially when they play songs that really work with this lineup, like Underneath the Stars, Want, and Wrong Number.

But unfortunately, it's not June anymore and Robert's singing has been really inconsistent ever since. I just hope it's not a sign of some serious health problems, or something like that.

boo

Quote from: DJscribbles on December 29, 2008, 21:34:45
the fans still want more.

of course the fans want more...but if the fans (and a few do)go to concerts with their adult kids or even grand children that makes one (Robert) feel quite old...
and for somebody who said since his 30's he can't see the cure going on for much longer is losing his credibility. and how many more interviews does he still need to suffer through when you can clearly see he doesn't enjoy them at all. being asked for 30 years about your hair,eyeliner and changes in the band... i would have shoot quite a few of the interviewers but no he sits there and answers ridicules questions friendly and very intelligent.

Lady

It's not that "tragic" I think. He said "I don't have these dreams of continuing on for another, like, ten years.  I would be actually quite horrified if we were sitting in this room in ten years' time". So there's nothing that makes us believe the next album will be the last one...
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]