Another middling review for The Cure from The Guardian

Started by dsanchez, January 05, 2015, 09:38:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

From five stars in 2006, to three stars in March 2014 to another three stars for one of the best The Cure shows in history:

QuoteQuantity, though, is not the same thing as quality. In showbiz, there is a stubborn adage about how you should always leave 'em wanting more
:roll:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/dec/28/the-cure-review-frequent-highs-meandering-lows
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

mooki

"In showbiz, there is a stubborn adage about how you should always leave 'em wanting more."

A quote by someone not in showbiz and has no idea how to play music.

I want to see the Cure play forever if I go see them. If they played 3 songs I wouldn't be wanting more; I'd feel ripped off.

MeltingMan

QuoteQuantity, though, is not the same thing as quality.
Quantity is important.I remember some murmuring English fans in 2008.It is better in any case
to offer two or three dates with a reduced program altogether instead of 90 minutes without
any B-Sides or the much-admired eighties stuff.I think it is a common sign when you're focussed
on a long awaited event that you're loosing track of time for a while,but something is wrong
when you have to look at your wrist-watch a dozen times or more! This is weird.
On the other hand it should be clear that the so-called fan perspective is more
than the "just can't get enough" thing.Otherwise The Top wouldn't have been played
in its entirety,a fact which I can't appreciate enough,but some journalists can...
Robert is smart enough to be informed about the trends and wishes we have to make
a varied setlist.Perfect job five stars!
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

Another review from someone who is ill-informed.  Just like last year.  Still, if she were very knowledgeable and a big fan, she probably wouldn't be in her present job or have the opportunity to write an article about the band.  I wouldn't want to read an article by someone who just gushes all over the place about how wonderful everything was anyway.  Articles by ill-informed morons are actually great fun; I can always do with a laugh.  She thinks the band should play 'fast and loud with menace' more often?  Maybe.  Was she aware that in 2008 the band was a well-oiled machine, capable of mowing down everything in its path if it chose to do so?  She mentions Reeves being in the band 'tonight'.  Is she aware he's been in the band since 2012?  That he was with the band in the studio during the recording of 'Wrong Number' all those years ago?  You kind of understand exactly where she's coming from when she describes 'Lovecats' and 'Why Can't I Be You?' as 'glorious'.  Not a word I would use.  The thing that bugged me the most about the review of last year's RAH show is that the 'reviewer' had no clue who the bass player was!  She completely dismisses Simon with the words 'a rockabilly bassist' and then moves on.  No idea he'd been in the band for more than 30 years at that point??  Not consecutive, but cumulative...30+ years.  She was probably wondering 'who's the blonde kid behind the drum kit?'.  The shows were good.  Did I hear all the songs I wanted to hear?  No.  Did I hear a few songs I could have done without?  Sure.  Did I hear a whole lot of songs I really like?  Hell yes.  Value for money?  Absolutely.  The Cure are pretty priceless in (nearly) all of their incarnations including this one.  The music world is a better place when they choose to take part in it.  There will come a time when there will be no more gigs.  Ever.  See them and enjoy them at every opportunity.  I'm not saying that their best days are behind them and this is all we've got so catch 'em while you can.  They are fully capable of writing new material that could rightfully sit with the best of their other stuff.  They are fully capable of turning that last corner as a live unit and kicking our butts once again.  There is one little intangible/indescribable piece of the puzzle missing preventing that from happening, in my opinion.  I've been wrong before though...just ask Ulrich!  :)

lawrence

As far as i'm concerned, i really love these Cure's "marathon" shows... and we are lucky because we can enjoy our favourite music for hours... for a cheap price... go to see any other band, you will not have such a long show, go to see a famous band like U2 for example, you would pay a fortune for less than 2hours show...
Then, thanks to Cure, and i hope they will continue as long as possible... my dream would be full discography show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
i'm lost in a forest