The CDs: orginals & remasters

Started by rjl, April 04, 2007, 01:39:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: Oso Blanco on May 22, 2007, 15:52:27

If you think THAT's clipping distortion, take a listen to Join The Dots!

Might have been a victim of the loudness war.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Er... scratch that.
We were all "victims" of the loudness war  :evil:

It's about time that these folks gave us the option of a hi-res version so we can decide for ourselves if we like to listen to distortion or not.
B@stards.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

nausearockpig

Quote from: Bloodflower on May 25, 2007, 05:49:39
There's a small cut out in M on Seventeen Seconds (both on the remaster and original CDs) that annoys me endlessly.... is this present on the vinyl as well?

That flaw in M is on both the old and new CDs.. I used to think I had some special, rare version till I heard the remaster... and there I was thinking I was soooo special...

lostflower4

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2007, 08:24:02Might have been a victim of the loudness war.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Er... scratch that.
We were all "victims" of the loudness war  :evil:

It's about time that these folks gave us the option of a hi-res version so we can decide for ourselves if we like to listen to distortion or not.
B@stards.

Yep, the loudness war is bullshit. I've been watching this problem get worse and worse over the years. Fortunately, the last batch of remasters weren't so crushed volume-wise. But sometimes stuff like this isn't treated so harshly as it isn't meant for hardcore competition with other albums.

But rest assured, The Cure's next new album will be crushed, just like the last one. :cry:

japanesebaby

Quote from: Bloodflower on May 25, 2007, 05:49:39
There's a small cut out in M on Seventeen Seconds (both on the remaster and original CDs) that annoys me endlessly.... is this present on the vinyl as well?

i suppose you mean the one around 2:22. it's not on the vinyl.
i just checked both vinyl versions that i have (1st german pressing by metronome musik and the US pressing by A&M records included on the 'happily ever after' 2-LP set) and neither of those seem to have any kind of flaw there.  :!:
i admit i never paid attention to this before :oops:
but it does make you wonder now, how come the flaw ended up on the remaster...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

A little bit off topic, but I was wondering if someone could check their CD copy of the Boys Don't Cry album.

On my version, the U.S. Elektra release, there's a really obvious flaw at the beginning of Accuracy. However, there's no problem on my original German Three Imaginary Boys CD (Fiction).

I've also downloaded Accuracy from a P2P network (for comparison purposes only, haha), and it also had a problem. Seems it was from the Boys Don't Cry CD.

So I'm curious if other people's copies of this title also have this problem. :?

nausearockpig

re Accuracy, is the flaw you speak of a little "click" or "thuck" or "tick" immediately after the first bass note? really quiet, kind of like the sound of a CD skipping?

ps I have what I think is the US Elektra release. the catalogue number is 9 60786-2..