No more mp3 shows from tomorrow

Started by dsanchez, October 31, 2006, 15:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the decision taken by Curefans.com?

Great, we don't need the mp3 garbage anymore
13 (14.3%)
Great, there are enough mp3 shows in this forum (thousands)
6 (6.6%)
Cool, it will stop some people from just using the forum just to grab shows
1 (1.1%)
Great, FLAC or other lossless format will keep the quality of our Cure shows
18 (19.8%)
Bad, cause there are still some people who like mp3
47 (51.6%)
I don't care. FLAC or MP3, it's the same stuff to me
6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 90

dsanchez

From 1st november, posting mp3 in Curefans.com will be not allowed. There have been pros and cons, opinions expressed, but, what do you think about?. Vote! 8)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Cure

y???

many ppl can't play flac files..
for example, i can't!!

y???
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

exploding boy

i prefer the mp3 but , no way , you decide.

greetings

exploding boy
hello friens its great site

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

yrbadrenau

My question is : what is the interest to put shows on flac when this shows are from a bad  source like most of the shows we can find. I agree with the new rule if the show are from soundboard or fm broadcasts. But if they are coming from audience source, it won't change anything about the sounding quality: it will be bad quality in lossless format, so bad quality at the end... the problem is not the format but the mix. If the mix is bad, you can have all lossless format you want, it will stay a bad mix with a bad sound, no???
34 years old,father of two children(Alia-14 & Theo-12), curefan since 1985.

dsanchez

A discussion about this was started many days ago in this topic:

http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3003.0.html

Cheers,

David.

Quote from: yrbadrenau on October 31, 2006, 16:00:08
My question is : what is the interest to put shows on flac when this shows are from a bad  source like most of the shows we can find. I agree with the new rule if the show are from soundboard or fm broadcasts. But if they are coming from audience source, it won't change anything about the sounding quality: it will be bad quality in lossless format, so bad quality at the end... the problem is not the format but the mix. If the mix is bad, you can have all lossless format you want, it will stay a bad mix with a bad sound, no???
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cult_hero

you know my opinion...  :smth011

"Great, FLAC or other loseless format will keep the quality of our Cure shows"

carnagevisors

I think that there are many shows that doesn't matter if they're flac or mp3. The sound is awful anyway. So... Mp3 is still useful since it's a lot less space that it use.
Flac should be only used when you can get almost perfect sound.
I agree with yrbadrenau

Cure

Quote from: carnagevisors on October 31, 2006, 17:10:34
Mp3 is still useful since it's a lot less space that it use.

& i come 2 agree..

besides, is there any special reason 4 what we should stop sharin mp3's? i think it's the same.. everyone can convert the file if he wants, right?
so, what's the point?
i just can't understand it..
anyway

ps: many ppl don't have flac files 2 share, but mp3's, just like i do.. so, i won't b able 2 share any more shows if mp3's will stop bein shared..
but this sucks, right?
underneath the stars
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure on October 31, 2006, 17:23:06
besides, is there any special reason 4 what we should stop sharin mp3's? i think it's the same.. everyone can convert the file if he wants, right?
so, what's the point?

again, please read the topic started about this earlier:

http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3003.0.html

several different points leading to this decision were explained and discussed in there, so no need to repeat it i suppose.

but if i may add one point of view here: people keep repeating "these are bad sounding shows anyway, it's not worth it".
i suppose i can agree that one easily gets that kind of impression, that a lot of recordings suck and are hopelessly bad quality and so why bother - sure, a lot of the stuff uploaded in mp3s isn't great, a lot of it is almost impossible to listen to.
but does this mean that these are bad shows and not worth anything better? well, i think we shouldn't think that the commonly circulated mp3 versions are always some sort of faithful description of how the original version/recording sounds like(!), let alone they were the only versions of these shows that exist. so what if the shows aren't actually always that bad sounding but the versions circulating (in mp3s/other lossy files) are to blame? i think there's really a huge difference in there. there are certainly exceptions out there but it's clear that many mp3 copies were
1) simply sourced from a bad generated copy to start with
2) probably suffered too many sad mp3>wav>mp3>wav conversions over the years that made it deteriorate even more and more
3) in any case, they were of course already condemned to be partially destroyed in the beginning since somone converted them to mp3s in the first place (sorry but i never heard that lossy conversion made anything sound better than it was before... did you? ;)).

so, what i'm trying to say is that we are often dealing with some poorly encoded, ages old low bitrate mp3 version that were put into circulation in the beginning of the p2p era(!) and which are hopelessly outdated now - maybe we should remember this before saying "these are all such bad sounding shows, it's not worth it". in many cases the shows itself are just ok when you just get a chance to listen to a clean, good, uncompressed source.

and ok, of course from many shows no gorgeous recording exist. but there's nothing we can do to change it: some recordings are simply better than others: but the point is, even if it wasn't gorgeous then why not try to keep it as good as it can be?

Quote from: Cure on October 31, 2006, 17:23:06
i think it's the same.. everyone can convert the file if he wants, right?

please read the topic mentioned before. some well-knows issues of this was discussed in there too.

thanks.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

louis

I prefer the flac because I am more for quality than the quantity of concerts...........

:roll:

chivicure

I Agree FLAC is a better format but there are people (like me) That still like mp3 ...
at least 192 or 320 ... but you decide  :cry:
Greetings from México!
Silvia

Cure

yeah ok.. but if someone wants 2 share stuff &  has no flac files?

anyway, i can't change it..
i accept it!

it's cure-stuff anyway ;)
underneath the stars
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

dsanchez

hola Silvia

Hay 6200 shows publicados en formato MP3 que seguirán disponibles para que los descargues. Pero en adelante, Curefans.com incidirá más en la calidad que en la cantidad de bootlegs que se publiquen. Esperamos tu comprensión.

Saludos  8)

David.

Quote from: chivicure on October 31, 2006, 18:48:56
I Agree FLAC is a better format but there are people (like me) That still like mp3 ...
at least 192 or 320 ... but you decide  :cry:
Greetings from México!
Silvia

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Darth Blood

DAVID;

Segun entiendo esta medida no solo espara ocnservar la calidad de las grabaciones, si no tambien para que los miembros participen mas en las diversas discusiones, no se podria dejar una seccion de mp3 de buena calidad digamos 254 o 320 hacia arriba pero un poco como lo planteaba en un post anteriro, que solo los que consigan cierta cantidad de posteos a partir de entonces puedan tanto subir como bajar shows... esto puede aplicar tanto en Flac como en mp3... es solo una idea, ya que entiendo el punto de que no todos los shows estan disponibles en flac que creo que la idea es llegar a ese punto...

saludos

:rocker
Darth Blood