vote for The Cure at the European MTV Awards!

Started by japanesebaby, September 04, 2008, 08:46:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Janko

All things aside, I just don't think my favorite band's any good these days...

That's all I'm saying.
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 05, 2008, 14:29:59
Quote from: japanesebaby on September 05, 2008, 13:26:01
my point was that if one wants to make a statement then one needs to choose a subject worth it - something like human rights or war in georgia etc. - so imo MTV simply isn't worth a statement. to me MTV is so below all possible levels of quality that it doesn't even matter whether you vote or not - it's just not going to be a statement either way. to me to say sounds like giving the whole issue way much more importance than something like MTV deserves.

You say MTV is not important and yet it seems you found this MTV-voting thing important enough for you to start a new thread. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

not at all. because if you are saying that i should somehow "censor" the news and only post those ones that i see somehow personally meaningful to me, then i have to disagree. it's a piece of cure-related news and i therefore i am reporting that by starting a thread & posting a link posting a link here. it's totally irrelevant what i personally think about the nature of those news.
you can see that on my original post (which started the thread) i didn't post any personal comments about what i personally think about the nature of these news.

and if it's tokio hotel they want, so be it. it doesn't affect me either way.

Quote from: revolt on September 05, 2008, 14:29:59
Anyway, excuse my very serious tone in the last paragraph but I thought that if I am going to waste my time participating in such an unimportant thread, I might as weel use the opportunity to say something possibly relevant.  ;)

ok don't get me wrong here but i think my original point was that people can vote or not to vote, regarding whether they see participating in it (& this thread) important enough. if not, there's no of course pressure to vote/participate in any way.
regardless of my opinion, there's always someone out there who might think the news were interetsing and who would want to participate. that's all that really motivates/motivated me here: to pass on the news. if we wish to discuss about human rights etc., perhaps it should be done in some other thread.

@janko: that's fine.  :smth023
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 05, 2008, 15:49:16

not at all. because if you are saying that i should somehow "censor" the news and only post those ones that i see somehow personally meaningful to me, then i have to disagree a lot. it's a piece of cure-related news and  what simply comes to reporting news (i.e. posting a link here/elsewhere just in order to make people notice something),  it's totally irrelevant what i personally think about the nature of those news.
please do note that i didn't post any personal comments about what i personally think about the issue on my original post (which started the thread). i was simply reporting a piece of news and the discussion of what i (or anyone else should think about the nature of those news) only comes after that.

Well, I didn't interpret this thread as being you simply reporting the news because in that first report message you actually made a comment about those news. You said: "Go vote". So you were not merely being the neutral messenger here...

Anyway, when a journalist decides to publish a particular piece of news there's always implicitly a sort of value judegment there. You are at least making the value judgement that that particular piece of news might have some sort of relevance to "your" public. And don't come tell me that you will neutrally and automatically publish every single piece of Cure-related information because I simply cannot believe that. There is always the moment when you have to decide whether a particular piece of information constitutes in fact "news" and then the moment when you have to decide whether in fact you will publish those news or not. Even if you are not perfectly aware of this, you are in fact making value judgements in both these moments. Which means you are not being merely a neutral messenger.

Anyway, I hope I am not being too stuffy here. Our discussions almost always seem to lead to initially unsuspected paths - just take that as a signal that we probably really like talking to each other. I am not trying to impose my "enlightened view" on you or anything like that. I do confess however that I have what you could call a character flaw: I always try to win the conversations I take part in... I must be a stubborn guy.  ;)

boneheadhaggar

its nice to be nice

scary_aunty

i don't care if it's mtv, i just voted about 50 times.

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: revolt on September 04, 2008, 10:31:26
Quote from: japanesebaby on September 04, 2008, 08:46:34

go vote.  :-D

No way. I refuse to get involved in such blatantly mainstream activities!  :twisted:

*chuckles* your pretentious too! *kisses*
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

I'll vote to support them, even though I can't watch MTV as I don't get it where I live :smth011. So I have no choice in that - not that I would prob. watch it anyway as I tend to HATE music these days. Does anyone find they listen to stuff from years ago rather than dip their toe into the new stuff? For eg. I'm listening  :smth020 to loads of Genesis at present, and for a punky type chick thats just ODD!

sues777

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on September 06, 2008, 01:40:20
I'll vote to support them, even though I can't watch MTV as I don't get it where I live :smth011. So I have no choice in that - not that I would prob. watch it anyway as I tend to HATE music these days. Does anyone find they listen to stuff from years ago rather than dip their toe into the new stuff? For eg. I'm listening  :smth020 to loads of Genesis at present, and for a punky type chick thats just ODD!

I voted and I don't and won't watch MTV either.  I'm with you CherryRed - I'm not impressed with music these days either.  I don't listen to the radio and stopped watching music shows 'cos it was just annoying me too much.  Is it just me, or is there really nothing new these days?

The only "new" music I listen to are new releases from bands I've loved for years (eg. the last "new" album I bought was The Slip by Nine Inch Nails and I've loved them since the early 90s...geez, that was a long time ago wasn't it?)  Think I'm just getting old and grumpy...
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

~*CherryRed*~

Hahaha Sues... yep Grumpy Old Woman is me, like the ABC TV Show. (btw I can get ABC where I live!). Is the NIN new one good then? I really like Perfect Drug - is that what it is called? And also Downward Spiral due to Closer. Thats the only LP of theirs that I have.

sues777

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on September 06, 2008, 09:32:39
Hahaha Sues... yep Grumpy Old Woman is me, like the ABC TV Show. (btw I can get ABC where I live!). Is the NIN new one good then? I really like Perfect Drug - is that what it is called? And also Downward Spiral due to Closer. Thats the only LP of theirs that I have.

Grumpy Old Women??!!  LOVE that show!!! Haha!!!
I LOVE the new NIN album! Put it this way, it's the only album I've bought in recent memory I've listened to on repeat (I usually reserve repeat listenings for The Cure....), but that's just me.  Compared to Downward Spiral??  Hmm...maybe just a touch mellower(?) (but only just a touch), but Trent's in fine form... 

Eve_23

mint car

I voted too !!!  :smth023

THE CURE IS BEST BAND ON THE WORLD  8)
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

silversand

revolt

Quote from: sues777 on September 06, 2008, 03:25:32
I'm not impressed with music these days either.  I don't listen to the radio and stopped watching music shows 'cos it was just annoying me too much.  Is it just me, or is there really nothing new these days?

Well, that kind of thinking was actually what made me start the "what's so good about the 2000's" thread. It's not that there is absolutely no new or "newish" things these days, it's just that - as far as I can perceive it, anyway - the few things that have emerged in the 2000's - the dubstep scene, for instance - don't sound that interesting to me... Now, I am not of the opinion that everything has already been invented and all that remains for musicians is to recicle the past. I think that's the kind of reasoning tha usually comes from either lazy people or people who have a limited perspective of music. So maybe this is just a "bad" phase and soon enough greater artists and bands will be appearing...

sues777

Quote from: revolt on September 09, 2008, 10:50:28
Well, that kind of thinking was actually what made me start the "what's so good about the 2000's" thread. It's not that there is absolutely no new or "newish" things these days, it's just that - as far as I can perceive it, anyway - the few things that have emerged in the 2000's - the dubstep scene, for instance - don't sound that interesting to me... Now, I am not of the opinion that everything has already been invented and all that remains for musicians is to recicle the past. I think that's the kind of reasoning tha usually comes from either lazy people or people who have a limited perspective of music. So maybe this is just a "bad" phase and soon enough greater artists and bands will be appearing...

I agree with you revolt - my issue is actually with the fact I'm not interested in the new stuff I'm hearing.  And the music shows I was watching were aimed at, let's just say, a different demographic to mine and didn't grab my attention.  I'm sorry, r&b/urban or whatever it's called is just NOT my thing and I doubt it ever will be.

So yes, here's hoping we are just going through a bad phase and something good's just around the corner...