Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

dsanchez

Will miss these series... :1f62d:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

A friend sent me this - quite educational!  :lol:

SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

I spoke about wings
You just flew
I wondered, I guessed and I tried
You just knew
I sighed
But you swooned, I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon
The whole of the moon

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on March 31, 2020, 15:46:47I spoke about wings
You just flew
I wondered, I guessed and I tried
You just knew

Instantly recognised those lyrics before I even saw the title. Written by Mike Scott, originally released by The Waterboys in 1985:

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

BiscuityBoyle

My quar soundtrack is about 80 percent Bela Bartok, twice as much as in simpler times.

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

dsanchez

The version from The Killers

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Well, I think this is a style of music few people here would be habitually listening to, but since I'm giving everything here a go, even extremely synthy music which I generally dislike (although a miracle happened and I actually genuinely liked a Depeche Mode song the other day), I'm going to post what I'm listening to anyway...

I probably wouldn't have become drawn to this if I'd stayed in Europe, but if you live in a land of wide-open spaces it changes your sensibilities etc.  Therefore, a lot of John Mellencamp's work appealed to me from within a few years of coming to this country.  Yes, Mellencamp is American, but from a similar agricultural landscape to the one I was experiencing in Australia, and when I was driving through or working in areas with broadacre agriculture, the music, and the sentiments behind it too (usually), really fitted, similarly to how Neil Young's acoustic stuff fitted into the same sort of situations.

It's interesting to have an American leftie from farm / rural roots - this guy isn't a hippie, he's quite conventional in some ways. This was the first song of his that really blew me away, as a teenager, not only because of its searing critique of America, but because his metaphor referenced the link between what happens in the microcosm of a family, and the macrocosm of wider society.

As I was re-listening to this album today, a song came up that really fits our current situation with COVID-19 as well...

If you think the backing vocalist on that track sounds vaguely familiar, it's Rickie Lee Jones.
SueC is time travelling

BiscuityBoyle

There's something going on that's not quite right

SueC

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

How on earth...?  :1f62e:  I thought of "The Ladder" yesterday!!

Quote from: SueC on April 02, 2020, 11:08:12Well, I think this is a style of music few people here would be habitually listening to, but since I'm giving everything here a go, even extremely synthy music which I generally dislike (although a miracle happened and I actually genuinely liked a Depeche Mode song the other day), I'm going to post what I'm listening to anyway...

That's what this topic is here for!!  :smth023

Quote from: SueC on April 02, 2020, 11:08:12I probably wouldn't have become drawn to this if I'd stayed in Europe

Maybe you would, he sold lots of records here in the 1980s.
I only know some of his best-known songs.

In this style - maybe "American (folk) rock music" - I prefer others, e.g. Springsteen (but I don't own many of his albums).
(There's Silvio from "the Sopranos" on stage!!)  ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on April 03, 2020, 10:36:27How on earth...?  :1f62e:  I thought of "The Ladder" yesterday!!

Bwahahahaha!  (cue mysterious music)  :yum:

The simple explanation is that it's an excellent song... and that therefore one simply has to think of it... ;)

Or perhaps were you doing some painting? :angel

Quote from: Ulrich on April 03, 2020, 10:36:27
Quote from: SueC on April 02, 2020, 11:08:12Well, I think this is a style of music few people here would be habitually listening to, but since I'm giving everything here a go, even extremely synthy music which I generally dislike (although a miracle happened and I actually genuinely liked a Depeche Mode song the other day), I'm going to post what I'm listening to anyway...

That's what this topic is here for!!  :smth023

Yeah, I know, but I like a lot of weird stuff that's weird in different ways to the weird stuff that a lot of people like here.  :)  And I'd hate to cause panic buying of EpiPens! :1f631:

I'll remind you of this next time I'm listening to Appalachian folk music!   :angel

Quote from: Ulrich on April 03, 2020, 10:36:27
Quote from: SueC on April 02, 2020, 11:08:12I probably wouldn't have become drawn to this if I'd stayed in Europe

Maybe you would, he sold lots of records here in the 1980s.

Yeah, hard to say exactly, but the thing that's weird for me is that I generally associate music with landscapes, and that's part of how it works for me.  To like Mellencamp as a European, I'd have had to like his music purely mechanically, and/or because I like the texts he writes.  But here, and especially when I was working with a farming community as a new graduate, the music is really cinematic... and it really fits.  :)  So then it was a foregone conclusion that I was going to like it...

Quote from: Ulrich on April 03, 2020, 10:36:27In this style - maybe "American (folk) rock music" - I prefer others, e.g. Springsteen (but I don't own many of his albums).

I liked maybe a couple of his songs, but generally not a fan, and wrote a parody piece on Springsteen for my Year 12 English as a high schooler.  I wish I could scan it and post it, but alas, it's not in this house.  We had to design covers for hypothetical albums by existing artists and then discuss these albums (cover and music) in some way, shape or form.  I made a spoof cover depicting the front of his jeans at crotch level, explaining (pretending to be Springsteen and writing from his point of view) that the fans had already seen his posterior on Born In The USA and that this had been such a success for boosting album sales that it made perfect sense to now give them the front view as well, which everybody knew housed his wedding tackle, and that this was expected to be an even greater success.  :beaming-face

Also I made much of the fact that he had millions in the bank but the fans knew he was really so, so working class...  :evil:

It was very thoughtful of our teacher to set us such a fine exercise!   :smth023

Quote from: Ulrich on April 03, 2020, 10:36:27(There's Silvio from "the Sopranos" on stage!!)  ;)

You're such an art groupie!   :winking_tongue  :kissing_closed_eyes:

Here's some more weird stuff.

SueC is time travelling