This Twilight Garden (Greenhouse FX mix)

Started by zielwolf, December 30, 2021, 12:01:03

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

zielwolf

For fans of "This Twilight Garden", this is a little known but officially commissioned 12" mix of the song, that only came put on a limited release compilation CD. Enjoy.


Ulrich

Thank you, indeed I am a fan of this b-side (one of their best)!

Info on yt says:
Quote from: undefinedExtended mix. Track 1 off "Ultra Hot Razor Series Disc 3" published 1992 by Art of Mix, cat. UHCD03. Remixed by John Pillin & Steve Smith.

With the help of that info, I found more about this disc:
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/2546244-Various-Ultra-Hot-Razor-Disc-3
And the way the rain comes down hard
that's how I feel inside...

Matti

Hi there -
Quote from: zielwolf on December 30, 2021, 12:01:03this is a little known but officially commissioned 12" mix of the song
are you sure about this? Though I don't know much about those Art of Mix guys, I think I've only ever seen their work on unofficial releases of any band.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, and I love that song, but to me the remix sounds more like someone looped a lot of sections from it just to make it longer, without any other editing to make it more interesting.
I've been waiting for the lies to end

Pongo

Quote from: Matti on January 04, 2022, 20:08:32to me the remix sounds more like someone looped a lot of sections from it just to make it longer, without any other editing to make it more interesting.

I have to agree. It would be more appropriately named just 'Extended version'. I have come across this kind of 'remix' many times and always left me disappointed.

Must say this result is more interesting:

Ulrich

Quote from: Matti on January 04, 2022, 20:08:32I don't know much about those Art of Mix guys, I think I've only ever seen their work on unofficial releases of any band.

Well the entry on "discogs" talks about an "unofficial" release too.

Quote from: Matti on January 04, 2022, 20:08:32...to me the remix sounds more like someone looped a lot of sections from it just to make it longer, without any other editing to make it more interesting.

That's what I liked about it (I also like the "higher mix" of "High", btw). I'm not very fond of remixes in general (hence me never buying "Mixed up") and most of those I heard made the track "different" or more "dancefloor-compatible", but not necessarily more "interesting" to me (sorry).
And the way the rain comes down hard
that's how I feel inside...

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on January 05, 2022, 12:07:35That's what I liked about it (I also like the "higher mix" of "High", btw). I'm not very fond of remixes in general (hence me never buying "Mixed up") and most of those I heard made the track "different" or more "dancefloor-compatible", but not necessarily more "interesting" to me (sorry).

I used to enjoy the dance remixes when I was DJ-ing a bit in the late 80's - early 90's. Nowadays I don't care much for remixes at all. They can sometimes be a bit interesting to hear, but then maybe only once.

Given that, there are a few Cure mixes that I still enjoy, "High" being one of them. The version of "Lullaby" on "Mixed up" is another one.

What I think I would enjoy more are instrumental versions of some of the songs.

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on January 05, 2022, 14:23:02I used to enjoy the dance remixes when I was DJ-ing a bit in the late 80's - early 90's.

That I can understand! Being DJ, you listen more with "dancefloor" ears, of course. :)
And the way the rain comes down hard
that's how I feel inside...

Matti

@Ulrich : No need to apologize for anything you don't like ;-)

Discogs btw describes Art of Mix as a "DJ subscription remix service", so the commissioning mentioned in the original post might relate to DJs demanding longer versions of songs to keep their audiences on the floor - "People seem to like dancing to The Walk, can we have a 6+ minutes version pls?"

I have an ambivalent relationship with remixes - the old school I like a lot (Higher Mix is a perfect example), but the modern age style is not for me. There's a lengthy bit about remixes in general and Torn Down in particular sitting somewhere on my HDD, maybe someday...
I've been waiting for the lies to end

Ulrich

Quote from: Matti on January 06, 2022, 13:47:04No need to apologize for anything you don't like ;-)

Well, I just wish I'd find most "remixes" more interesting!
(Because I know many people do, incl. Robert Smith.)

Quote from: Matti on January 06, 2022, 13:47:04... might relate to DJs demanding longer versions of songs to keep their audiences on the floor - "People seem to like dancing to The Walk, can we have a 6+ minutes version pls?"

I'm guessing that was how it all started with 12" mixes back in the day!
And the way the rain comes down hard
that's how I feel inside...