The Perfect Boy (4th single)

Started by [labyrinth], July 22, 2008, 21:40:48

Previous topic - Next topic

nausearockpig

they're growing on me... we'll see....

tigermilk

The single is good, but not their best.

The B-side is bad, easily the worst B-side of the lot so far. I don't enjoy listening to it (in my opinion of course).

Robert's voice strains too much, he tries to sing too many high notes lately.

Skip the emo EP. We want the album, and mix it properly!!!

sues777

I actually love The Perfect Boy AND Without You...it's probably my favourite of the 4 singles, and I seem to be one of the minority who's loved them all...

The Perfect Boy gets stuck in my head every time I hear it and I adore Without You - musically I think it's beautiful (LOVE the guitar)and my first impression of it was that it reminded me of Bloodflowers, with an edge(?) - that doesn't mean it necessarily sounds like anything from Bloodflowers, it's just a feel about it that just reminds me of it...(completely irrational on my part, I know).  And I love the vocals - yes, I'm also one of the ones who thinks Robert sounds better know than he did 20 years ago....

And as for the EP - I hate emo and am as surprised as everyone else about the choice of remixers but, I'm reserving judgement until I hear it.  I can't see how anyone can judge it before they've heard it....

All in all, I guess there's no pleasing everyone....
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

japanesebaby

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on August 18, 2008, 14:23:52
The 5/4 rhythm of "Without you" works much better as one might expect.

not sure what you mean by 5/4 rhythm(?). it's based on 3-beat rhythm, more detailedly it's 9/4 with a subdivision to 3+6.
alternatively you can think of it as 3+3+3 beats, with a special accent in the middle, like: one-two-three, ONE-two-three, one-two-three.
i don't hear any 5/4 rhythm anywhere, it's all based on 3.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

hmm, one annoying thing about the production is the damn awful echo added on everything.  just listening to 'the perfect boy' here and the vocals are just totally drowned in the echo - it reminds me a line from 'pulp fiction', about mayonnaise: "they fuckin' drown them in that shit!" . :-D

and listening to 'without you' now... the same thing: why must there be that awful echo all over everything?
it's not just the vocals, pretty much everything's bathed/drowned in the same sort of "echo-ish mayonnaise". i get a feeling like it was used in order to give the sound some grandeuse feeling, a feeling of space and vastness. the problem just is that it works totally opposite: it doesn't sound vast and grand, everything just becomes messy. it's like listening to a massive symphony orchestra in a cathedral that has something like a 15 seconds echo: you cannot really hear anything because the sound gets all muffled, however fine and detailed the playing was.

i really don't understand the choice of this echo effect used on everything. it's just sounds like a pretty cheap-ish choice, like someone in the studio just decided to run everything through the same cheap-o effect machine. and you just find yourself wondering "why?"

because i could actually really like both songs - if i could only have it without all the mayonnaise... ah too bad! :S
(i almost find myself wishing for someone making cover versions of these, with "clean" arrangement... and i find it weird because i never hoped that before, for a cure song!)

(and some people will see red again, i know... anyway i really hope that jason would leave the cymbals alone... i think 'without you' is such a prime example of how he always must bash the cymbals when the chorus comes up - just listen to it!
and now, there's another "why?")

splitmilk34

I agree wholeheartedly, jb.  I actually like the songs themselves but find the decision to wash all of the vocals (and quite a few backing instruments) in plate reverb and delay quite curious.  I really hope this is just a "feature" of the Mix13 singles.  Then again, all of the songs sound kind of messy (except Sleep When I'm Dead, which is as close to f*cking spot on as any of these singles has gotten - mix wise - and even THAT is slightly off)... I think Robert is using too many words in the songs and that, couple with the echo/delay, is not helping the claustrophobic messiness of it all.
"... sleeping less every night"

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 29, 2008, 13:01:28
it reminds me a line from 'pulp fiction', about mayonnaise: "they fuckin' drown them in that shit!" . :-D

Holland isn't the only place you'll find your fries doused with excess mayonnaise, eh JB?  :smth081

(Nor a shortage of The Scorpions blaring in the streets during the wee hours of the morning)  :P

Lostflowerboy

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 29, 2008, 12:50:10
not sure what you mean by 5/4 rhythm(?). it's based on 3-beat rhythm, more detailedly it's 9/4 with a subdivision to 3+6.
alternatively you can think of it as 3+3+3 beats, with a special accent in the middle, like: one-two-three, ONE-two-three, one-two-three.
Thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure about 5/4 but at least I figured out it's neither 4/4 nor (standard) 3/4.  8)

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on August 30, 2008, 06:35:47
Holland isn't the only place you'll find your fries doused with excess mayonnaise, eh JB?  :smth081

yeah, i think it's been proved that whatever they tell you about the magnificence & superiority of the french cuisine, don't believe it:
it's still all based only on mayonnaise. lots of it. ;)
(and having the scorpions blaring on the background just enhances that sudden revelation...)

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on August 30, 2008, 10:54:20
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 29, 2008, 12:50:10
Thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure about 5/4 but at least I figured out it's neither 4/4 nor (standard) 3/4.  8)

you're welcome. and ok i see now what you were after. having the accent on the second beat (1, 2, 3) can certainly create a bit of a uneven rhythmic landscape.
having an accent on the second beat in triple meter goes back to sarabande. not sure if that was what bob was after though...

but perhaps they could make a video for the song in baroque style, complete with wigs and everything(?). to add some color to their world again, those recent black&white videos were so gloomy... 
perhaps it would also solve bob's hair problems?:

i think he'd look cool.  :P

~*CherryRed*~

Well I'm really unimpressed by this single. In my opinion, Freakshow is the most exciting of them all. I hate to think what the rest of the new LP will be made up of. Where has the weirdness gone? I love The early stuff for that reason, and nowadays it seems to have gone very same-ish... sigh. I think I'll end up being one of those (yep, you know it's coming!) "I like their old stuff better than their new stuff" people - as mentioned before by someone... sorry, forget who said it at this moment in time!!! Maybe age is getting to them. Or a lack of stimulating chemical inspiration!? Nevermind, I'll still buy the album and still go to see them if they ever come back to Oz. I doubt the new album will put me off. And let's face it, after Wild Mood Swings, I can survive anything!!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

nausearockpig

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 30, 2008, 13:23:00
"I like their old stuff better than their new stuff" people - as mentioned before by someone... sorry, forget who said it at this moment in time!!!

That was me.. it's a Regurgitator song...

Where has the weirdness gone? And let's face it, after Wild Mood Swings, I can survive anything!!

WMS had weird in it. The 13th, Strange Attraction and the song type varied from pop to rock to breezy acoustic guitar songs.

Ah well that's my opinion anyway..

PS that red font is terrible on my old eyes :-)

japanesebaby

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 31, 2008, 05:04:28
Where has the weirdness gone? And let's face it, after Wild Mood Swings, I can survive anything!!

WMS had weird in it. The 13th, Strange Attraction and the song type varied from pop to rock to breezy acoustic guitar songs.

Ah well that's my opinion anyway..

i was just thinking about the same. and so isn't it somehow ironic how everyone was bashing WMS back then, saying it was not the cure etc. etc. - and now, when compared to the new stuff it's actually starting to sound like some more or less good ol' vintage cure?
how times change, and people and their minds with it...

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 31, 2008, 05:04:28
PS that red font is terrible on my old eyes :-)

it's a bit hard to read, to be honest. i actually need to highlight a post in my browser every time, to read it any of it.
some of us are just so
;)

nausearockpig

as time goes by, new stuff becomes old stuff..

nausearockpig

those new singles sound pretty bad when played live -  i listened to the MTV Spain thing and The Only One sounded weak as. in about 5 years it will sound fine.. maybe with the addition of another player, either Geetar or KBs to fill the sound out and take away what sounds to me like Robert's lack of vocal confidence in the song

~*CherryRed*~

Ah sorry there you ol' farts... but red is my fav. colour!!!
"prone to flights of whimsy"