The Only One + Ny Trip officially confirmed.

Started by [labyrinth], April 25, 2008, 12:35:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Tims

Quote from: Janko on April 26, 2008, 20:05:31
STILL, FOUR SINGLES IN FOR MONTHS IS A BIT IMPOSSIBLE...
THE CHARTS WOULD HAVE TWO OR THREE CURE SINGLES ON THEM.

What makes you think they will be in the charts at all?

[labyrinth]

Quote from: Janko on April 26, 2008, 20:05:31
STILL, FOUR SINGLES IN FOR MONTHS IS A BIT IMPOSSIBLE...
THE CHARTS WOULD HAVE TWO OR THREE CURE SINGLES ON THEM.

this is probably the last of their problem,
i see this thing like a tentative to say sorry to the fans.
i mean, it's clear, probably only the first and the last single could be in the chart, but we need to check if these singles will have a videoclip,
that's the key for the market.

anyway, we'll see

it's a kind of "new" marketing strategy, and i have to say i like when they're not too traditional and then as i said, even though this kind of stuff is obviously to be sold (not only to the fans) there's that key of "sorry guys, now let's have fun"

billee

well I'm very pleased with this news.
Actually I'm damned excited about it.
Yeah lets hope us lot down under aren't waiting too long after everyone else. Digital downloads. Nah. I want to be able to hold these in my hands. :D
The other one feeds on my hesitation
Grows inside of my trepidaton
Buries his claws in my dislocation
I whisper your name to lose control

Brother Tims

Quote from: nevyn on April 27, 2008, 00:24:29
MAYBE I will come to London, to get this single because I really don't know if Poland will have it also on 13.05....
And also if it comes with this box for 4 singles...

Have you ever heard of Amazon?

nevyn

Quote from: Brother Tims on April 27, 2008, 14:45:21
Quote from: nevyn on April 27, 2008, 00:24:29
MAYBE I will come to London, to get this single because I really don't know if Poland will have it also on 13.05....
And also if it comes with this box for 4 singles...

Have you ever heard of Amazon?

yup! it's a river in South America...

Janko

Quote from: nevyn on April 27, 2008, 15:25:03
yup! it's a river in South America...

NO, YOU SEE, WHAT HE MENT WAS THAT THERE IS THIS INTERNET SHOP THING THAT CATERS TO YOUR EVERY NEED (BESIDE THOSE DEVIANT ONES) AND THAT EVEN YOU (WHERE EVER THAT IS WHERE YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE IS)CAN GO THERE, BY THE POWERS OF INTERNETS, AND BUY STUFF THAT WILL (IN COUPLE OF MONTHS) COME TO YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE, BY MAIL.

:D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Lady

Good news!!! :smth023 
Finally we have something FOR SURE...I hope so!!! :-D

Just one thing: we must modify the bootlegs covers where we wrote "please project" in the setlist!!!!! :shock: :-D

[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

doublec

But why the official website is still mute on this fantastic news?
I will be very happy that The Cure can adopt such a non-commercial strategy (4 singles in 4 months) but I have doubt since they work for a major...
Anyway the cover is pretty good and also the choice... Please Project (or The Only One) has the right mood for a single

nevyn

Quote from: Janko on April 27, 2008, 17:20:52

NO, YOU SEE, WHAT HE MENT WAS THAT THERE IS THIS INTERNET SHOP THING THAT CATERS TO YOUR EVERY NEED (BESIDE THOSE DEVIANT ONES) AND THAT EVEN YOU (WHERE EVER THAT IS WHERE YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE IS)CAN GO THERE, BY THE POWERS OF INTERNETS, AND BUY STUFF THAT WILL (IN COUPLE OF MONTHS) COME TO YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE, BY MAIL.

:D

no way! is it really possible?

/sarcasm

Steve

Quote from: [labyrinth
this is probably the last of their problem,
i see this thing like a tentative to say sorry to the fans.
i mean, it's clear, probably only the first and the last single could be in the chart, but we need to check if these singles will have a videoclip,
that's the key for the market.

anyway, we'll see

it's a kind of "new" marketing strategy, and i have to say i like when they're not too traditional and then as i said, even though this kind of stuff is obviously to be sold (not only to the fans) there's that key of "sorry guys, now let's have fun"

I'm sorry Labyrinth, but I think that is utter bollox.
A "tentative sorry to the fans" for what?
They put on a tour, a good one at that. What's to say sorry for?
& Why is a videoclip so important? Chart positions were never a problem for Killing An Arab, or Primary were they?
Why should they be now?

&I think this sort of marketing has been tried before.
So now The Cure have to "market" themselves? Odd that.
Methinks it's more the dollar grabbing publishers who insisted on it.

Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

[labyrinth]

Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2008, 21:34:49
A "tentative sorry to the fans" for what?
They put on a tour, a good one at that. What's to say sorry for?
hey,
did you forget what happened last year with the American leg? did you forget RS promised a "peace stone" that actually never happened?  ?
do you think they don't know people (their fan) were getting bored from all this delaying stuff? the tour-the album and so on?
they're not "out of this world" and Smith knows the mood of the people.
they make music for themselves and this is right, because it's their music...but Robert knows some people is still disappointed by some of his late choices.

& Why is a videoclip so important? Chart positions were never a problem for Killing An Arab, or Primary were they?
Why should they be now?
hey,
are we talking about the same era??? we're in the MTV-era, if you're not having any videoclip it's hard to put a single in the charts.
we can discuss if it's fair or unfair (and to me it's unfair, but here we are)

&I think this sort of marketing has been tried before.
So now The Cure have to "market" themselves? Odd that.
Methinks it's more the dollar grabbing publishers who insisted on it.
who said they have to "market" themselves? please, you quoted me but actually you didn't get my point, instead i was saying that it's not for the market that kind of strategy, it's impossible to put 4 singles in 4 months in the charts, and it could be easier to put them in charts if they would be released every 4/5 months: I think it's not only a mere money-making question.

and... find me another "big" band who used this kind of launching for an album ! 4 singles in the 4 months before the album.
i'm sorry but as far as i remember i can't find any other band.

disintegration

wow, Icome back after four days and read these good news!
I'm so excited!!! :smth020
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

dsanchez

Quote from: [labyrinth] on April 27, 2008, 22:09:34
are we talking about the same era??? we're in the MTV-era, if you're not having any videoclip it's hard to put a single in the charts.

I think I have to disagree here. Maybe MTV was a good way to promote your stuff in the past, but in the recent years, MTV have been losing some popularity, and you can see this by the poor reception of the last MTV music awards.

The era we're living now is the Internet era. And like Radio Head and Nine Inch Nails, The Cure should take in consideration some marketing strategies on the Web, I think.

By the way, MTV is just sh*t. And I can't agree more with this comment I've found in a Blog:

"MTV today is just reality programming for kids.  And the music "stars" they get to drop by are tools of corporations, slaves to the grind, the ANTITHESIS of rock and roll.  With no one believing in the channel, it’s got no soul."
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Janko

Quote from: dsanchez on April 27, 2008, 23:00:49

The era we're living now is the Internet era. And such Radio Head and Nine Inch Nails, 

PLEASE NO!
RADIO AIRPLAY IS ONE AND ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS!

PS

I THINK PLEASE PROJECT  SHOULD HAVE MORE SUCCESS THAN TEOTW
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

rodney

Completely untrue.  Bands are made by the internet.  Blogs and YouTube are huge sources for promotion, and are in many ways much more important to bands now than radio play.  Vampire Weekend is doing very well based almost completely on word of mouth and internet promotion.  Same with Tapes & Tapes.