RIP Florian Schneider (Kraftwerk)

Started by piggymirror, May 09, 2020, 05:04:46

Previous topic - Next topic

piggymirror

For those who didn't know them...

Basically every electronic band (including The Cure, particularly circa 1983 but not only - Mixed Up-), owes them A LOT.

But what most people do not know, is that before going fully electronic, Kraftwerk used to be a (kraut) rock band.
Out of the early Kraftwerk, Neu! would be born later.
Here's Florian on flute:

piggymirror

piggymirror

I am glad (and lucky) to having watched them in concert.

Danke, meister.

piggymirror

SueC

I'm sorry to hear that, @piggymirror.  :(

Brett was just saying he wonders how old Jean-Michel Jarre is now.  I looked it up - nearly 72 - but if you look at his Wikipedia page, the current shot is from his late 60s and he was looking quite amazing for his age.  Not that this necessarily means anything for predicting longevity - it didn't with Bowie... he looked amazing in midlife and then into his 60s...
SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

Quote from: SueC on May 09, 2020, 06:12:51I'm sorry to hear that, @piggymirror.  :(

Brett was just saying he wonders how old Jean-Michel Jarre is now.  I looked it up - nearly 72 - but if you look at his Wikipedia page, the current shot is from his late 60s and he was looking quite amazing for his age.  Not that this necessarily means anything for predicting longevity - it didn't with Bowie... he looked amazing in midlife and then into his 60s...

As long as the inside of the walnut is in working order, no problem (most of the times).

But we are not eternal, things have a beginning and an end.

And when it's someone who's so hugely talented as Florian, then it feels worse.

Probably because you'd want more of his existence.

Not only this has broken me quite a bit, Florian died on March 21 (it was made public only a couple of days ago), as an electronic music lover it's been a bad month, as Gabi Delgado-López, the singer of DAF, died on March 22. Only one day after Florian.

SueC

Quote from: piggymirror on May 09, 2020, 06:36:09As long as the inside of the walnut is in working order, no problem (most of the times).

This is a great saying!  :heart-eyes  We've never heard it put like that before.  :cool

I started collecting sayings like that after age 30.  I particularly like, "Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean the fire has gone out."  :angel

Quote from: undefinedBut we are not eternal, things have a beginning and an end.

Very true.  And I think it helps us to live more consciously, not to live forever.  Can you imagine the procrastination if you had eternal life?   :1f635:

QuoteAnd when it's someone who's so hugely talented as Florian, then it feels worse.

Yes, and it's a funny thing.  I used to believe in the theoretical equal intrinsic worth of all people.  That's because I was a teenager when I believed that, and I really wanted to believe that, wanted it to be true.  And maybe it's true for babies.  But it's certainly not true for adults.  Some people make conscious choices that have such horrible consequences for others and the world, and don't care.  I mean, this is on top of, it's pretty hard to live in the modern age and not damage things just by your very Western existence, even if you do start consciously going the other way, away from this endless consumption of materials.

Anyway, once people get to adult stage, I definitely value some of them more than others - such as, I value people who write great books or make decent music infinitely more than people who, for whatever reason, turn into yobbos and abuse people in the street because of their ethnicity or sexual orientation or whatever the difference(s) they are picking on, and who throw rubbish everywhere they go, and care about nothing and noone - and people like that do exist.  Or the CEOs who decide they "deserve" a salary that could employ 20 teachers or nurses, and million-dollar bonuses, and feel entitled to skim the cream off the top of the milk when they don't even have an udder.  I actually don't care about people like that anymore at all - not while they go on being like this - I prefer to reserve my caring for people with actual hearts.  (And that thumping sound is the teenage me kicking my midlife ass.  :beaming-face)

QuoteProbably because you'd want more of his existence.

I think when people are contributing positively, we always want more of their existence.   :)

QuoteNot only this has broken me quite a bit, Florian died on March 21 (it was made public only a couple of days ago), as an electronic music lover it's been a bad month, as Gabi Delgado-López, the singer of DAF, died on March 22. Only one day after Florian.

I wonder what it is about the Northern Spring Equinox... and do you know, your Florian died on the same day - March 21 - as a lady we knew who lived to be 100 was born.  She was an interesting character...

A nice thing actually is that since the invention of the printing press etc, and CDs etc, the writing and music can survive even when the people who conceived them have died.  I still read, and still love, books by Charles Dickens, John Wyndham, Emily Brontë etc etc etc, and so the work they did when they were alive helps me to live my life better even in 2020, and that's a wonderful thing...  :cool

You know, standing on the shoulders of giants, just like Newton.  Otherwise, many of us couldn't see past our own noses...

And it may sound corny, but you can carry someone in your heart, even after they have died.
SueC is time travelling