What made you feel sad today?

Started by scatcat, November 16, 2007, 15:08:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on May 12, 2019, 19:14:00The death of Peggy Lipton made me feel sad today.  :1f62a:

so sad...and you remind me now that I need to finish Twin Peaks (the first season)!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on May 12, 2019, 19:23:45
Quote from: Ulrich on May 12, 2019, 19:14:00The death of Peggy Lipton made me feel sad today.  :1f62a:

so sad...and you remind me now that I need to finish Twin Peaks (the first season)!

Well I'm a little bit ahead of you. Finished the first one (season 1+2) back in 1992! (And many more times since then, last time was only a few weeks ago.)
Makes me sad too, because it tells me I'm old.  :persevere:

dsanchez

f*cking cold, although is getting better, still nasal congestion... :pouting-face
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Peru lost the Copa America final to Brazil 3 to 1. I think we could have done more :(

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

dsanchez

Singer of a local band passed away yesterday, aged 46 due pancreatic cancer. We were not close friends, but had the chance to see The Cure in St. Polten (Austria) with him and other friends. Always sad to hear such news, specially when is someone so young.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

A friend passed away. Was battling cancer. She had my age. A woman full of energy, a very smart software engineer, who loved to dance and who listened to very good music. She was in treatment in Argentina (for her disease we didn't have the right hospital in Peru) and just got the news some hours ago.

She is the second from the left:

One mail she sent me when I was arranging moving to Europe back in 2008...

QuoteHi David, I was traveling last week and then I got sick so I just saw the email where they tell us that you leave the PUCP and go away? :) Well, nothing, just wish you do well and that everything you are planning comes out as you expect. Your music news is going to be missed in these parts so I hope you keep in touch J. Sorry I don't go to your farewell today, apart from the fact that I just saw the mail I'm still not so good and I can't have dinner on the street...

Rather, until what day do you come to the PUCP? Somewhere I have the Airiel stuff and some things that I told you to spend and for a change I did not have time to put them together, they may not be of very good quality but if you do not have them out there they serve as a souvenir for when you get the nostalgia for Lima;) hehe ... let me know.

Regards,

Zkenia

RIP :(
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Dear @dsanchez, I am so sorry this happened.  :1f62a:  There's never the right words for this.

This song is especially helpful for me when awful things happen.

The last person we lost was 80 - one of our two wedding witnesses and just the sweetest man.  When a person is old it's more expected, but still really hard.  Rob and Alice used to farm, and had retired to town when we became friends with them many years ago, due to a heart virus that randomly destroyed significant amounts of Rob's heart muscle in his 50s. But it didn't destroy his real heart... and the way he lived gave all of us lessons on how to live.  He never looked at what he could no longer do, only at what new things he could learn to do, and spent many hours in his workshop below his house making candelabras and metal sculptures of cute animals, and all sorts of decorative objects - and even a wrought-iron gate.  I always enjoyed popping in and spending time in the workshop to see his latest project, and Rob was so cheerful and had so many great stories that I always felt lifted after spending time with him.

When we bought our small farm in 2010, he gave us an adze which he'd used for decades to split timber into fenceposts when he was farming, and we used it to plant over 4,000 trees and bushes (and counting) at our place.  When we started, Rob was still around, and he came to see the first 2,000 trees when they were as tall as us.  I still remember him walking amongst the young trees and the smile on his face.  "They'll grow quickly, you just wait!" he said, and he was right.

The other thing he gave us was an old breadmaker of his, when his grandkids got him a new fancy model - just before we were married.  He said, "Now there's two of you, don't you want to bake your own bread? This is a great breadmaker, totally trouble-free, but I have to use the new one now because of my grandkids."

When Rob died, it was hard on all of us, but especially Alice.

But every time I bake a loaf of bread, I automatically remember him, and there is this continuity between him making bread, and me making bread.  And when we look at all the shelter belts around us growing tall, we think of Rob, and whenever we use the adze for digging or for planting, there is this continuity between the many years he spent farming, and our own efforts at farming, and it kind of feels like a blessing.

Rob made us a better person because of who he was, and we are conscious of that as we live our lives, and as we now walk through the world for him, as well as for us, and see things also with his perspective, when we look at the world.

You can't bring her back, David, and that's really tough.  :1f62a:  But you can remember your friend, and walk through the world for her, and dance for her, and laugh for her, and cry for her, and live a little bit more than you did before, and look through her eyes a little, in honour of her... so that her life is still a part of yours, and so that she still matters. ♥

Take good care of yourself.  ♥
SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

This year (counting since Easter 2019) I've lost THREE colleagues at work.

One because of a heart attack, another one because of (we suspect) an ictus in the bathroom, the third one (two days ago), because of lung cancer.
The second one hurt me quite a bit (not that the others didn't, but we were not as close and had not been together for so long).

Wherever you other forum inmates are, don't die.

piggymirror

Today I'm feeling sad, or more likely bittersweet (but in a quite gloomy way), because I feel I'm treated like a small child by many people.
And I also feel quite guilty because of many mistakes I've made.
Perhaps I'm not very mentally stable, lately.

But at the same time, I feel quite serene. Come what may.

SueC

I'm sad because a much-loved Aussie icon died last month, way too young, after a long battle with blood cancer.  Tom Long was legendary in our country for creating the wonderful character Angus in the late 1990s comedy/drama Seachange - a real centrepiece of the show.  It was so funny how he used to put that little quaver in his voice whenever he got emotional.

Here he is as clerk of the court, and for some reason it won't work embedded, so I've linked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK4bQrsC6eE&feature=youtu.be&t=717

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on February 21, 2020, 03:17:30Today I'm feeling sad, or more likely bittersweet (but in a quite gloomy way), because I feel I'm treated like a small child by many people.

Want a candy bar, kid?  :winking_tongue  :beaming-face