The Cure Pilgrim Route

Started by dsanchez, August 10, 2018, 21:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

chemicaloverload

Quote from: dsanchez on April 17, 2020, 22:53:31
Quote from: sandgrounder on April 17, 2020, 22:24:12And then all climb inside a wardrobe and throw ourselves over the cliff edge.
Was this trip ever organised?

No, but let's plan it for 2021 perhaps? @chemicaloverload what time of the year do you think is the best?

Summer :)
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

dsanchez

Please find here the proposal for doing The Pilgrim Route. The plan is June/July 2021. Four nights to see several Cure landmarks.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Candystripedlegs

Hello everyone, I just signed up here Today. I hope join you all on this wonderful  pilgrimage. I love The Cure and I think this is a great idea. I'd love to help out in the planning or researching.  Thanks.

dsanchez

Quote from: Candystripedlegs on October 20, 2020, 22:47:32Hello everyone, I just signed up here Today. I hope join you all on this wonderful  pilgrimage. I love The Cure and I think this is a great idea. I'd love to help out in the planning or researching.  Thanks.

Hi, welcome to curefans.com and thanks for your interest! you will hear more as the time approaches and hopefully we can work this out. Take cure!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

With the encouraging news of several vaccines that seem to offer good protection from covid-19, we will be resuming this project and are planning the pilgrimage sometime in the week of 5th July 2021, probably starting 7th and ending 11th July. If you are REALLY interested please write a comment or send me a private message. Thanks!

Proposal for The Cure's Pilgrim Route
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

"The Apple Tree" added to the Pilgrim route:

QuoteWe first played the Rocket pub in Crawley, by the railway station. We used to hang out at The Apple Tree on Sunday lunch times too. Occasionally the blues guys would let us play a song or two

https://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/retro/can-you-help-crawley-museum-celebrate-cure-2052742
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: dsanchez on October 20, 2020, 19:20:13Please find here the proposal for doing The Pilgrim Route. The plan is June/July 2021. Four nights to see several Cure landmarks.

Due the current situation the trip is postponed to 2022...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ms_Mephistopheles

Brighton Electric is ten minutes walk from my house. Pure coincidence and certainly not why I moved here, but it makes me chuckle to consider that I might see Cure members milling about while I'm on the way to Sainsburys one day. It's a  large Victorian tram depot that has been renovated. Not an unpleasant building but probably not worth going out of your way for. Beachy Head looks very scenic though.

Like you, I view going near RS's house as incredibly inconsiderate and the idea that folk do makes me cringe, but I have to say that it is an oddly comforting thought at night that RS is a little further down the coast star-gazing.

I've got the South Downs way on my list but nothing Cure-related. I am kind of morbidly intrigued as to how awful Crawley might be given RS's bleak descriptions. An adolescence in suburbia is outside of my frame of reference given my rural upbringing. I wouldn't go out of my way though to look in on it - I'll take RS's word for it!

SueC

Quote from: Ms_Mephistopheles on June 28, 2021, 00:44:48...while I'm on the way to Sainsburys one day.

...in the late 90s I visited the UK for four months and put on 5kg eating three unnecessary but delicious food items: 1) Sainsburys Strawberry Trifle - do they still make that and is it still as good? 2) McVitie's Chocolate Digestive Biscuits (I can get those here but they've lost a bit of their shine now that I'm no longer freezing cold all the time) 3) those delicious doughnuts sold hot in the street with real jam actually containing fruit in the centre (this does not happen in the US or Australia unless you make your own)

Quote from: Ms_Mephistopheles on June 28, 2021, 00:44:48Like you, I view going near RS's house as incredibly inconsiderate and the idea that folk do makes me cringe, but I have to say that it is an oddly comforting thought at night that RS is a little further down the coast star-gazing.

I'm so glad to see this decency re privacy - some fans remind me of Dementors - including the apparent inner emptiness that necessitates the behaviour. Of course, that ties back into community mental health and each of us having a role in helping other people not feel so isolated and alone.

And I can relate to the second part of your sentence - that's a normal and healthy phenomenon IMO, to be happy to be sharing the world with certain other people - including people who can spell and write whole paragraphs!   :winking_tongue  :cool

It's particularly nice when you discover that there's rather more people whose feelings and ideas you can relate to than you initially thought, or than you might glean from your immediate environment or the news cycle. Usually we first make that discovery as teenagers, but it's still exciting at potential granny/granddad age! Even when you're now married to a relatable person, which is a big big thing, it's still super cool to make these discoveries and it still makes me happy.  :)

Quote from: Ms_Mephistopheles on June 28, 2021, 00:44:48I am kind of morbidly intrigued as to how awful Crawley might be given RS's bleak descriptions.

I always imagine our local equivalent in Western Australia is Rockingham, at least how that used to be when I was a teenager. Full of rednecks, homophobes, xenophobes, hostile drunkenness, hoon driving, gang aggression and bullying, and there because of industry. I didn't live there but knew people who did. It was like the polar opposite to living in progressive, cultural and multi-cultural Fremantle...

I've been to Sussex (as a child for a week in 1982) and remember the rolling hills and the hedges between fields - was staying in Dallington/Healthfield and went on a trip to Hastings, where I bought my first-ever book in the English language (Richard Adams's Favourite Animal Stories, gorgeous hardback, still have it, contains Kipling's The Cat That Walked By Himself). Sheepdog trials on the TV which is where I first saw Border Collies!
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: Ms_Mephistopheles on June 28, 2021, 00:44:48I have to say that it is an oddly comforting thought at night that RS is a little further down the coast star-gazing.

That is cool, I'd probably be the same if I lived there!

(I was in Brighton twice, back in '99 and again in 2012, I liked it there. As for Crawley, it's probably okay if you just "visit", avtually living there as a teenager is probably worse.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

spiralcure

Are there still plans to do this in 2022? Hopefully the world will be safe for travel then... How about The Bray Hotel in Ireland? supposedly where most of the lyrics for Disintegration were written. Obscure runner-up: Uyea Sound from Lost Wishes.

dsanchez

Thanks for reaching! The short answer is: we don't know. I believe Covid will be over by next year and thus I see 2023 as more likely. Having said that, this is something we curefans must do, else we will regret all our life. Keep an eye on this topic as we post updates.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

It just came to my attention that The Cureheads is giving a concert on 31st March 2023 in Brighton. It's a Friday and Brighton is in the Pilgrim's route. We might just need to get a few days off work from 29.03 to 31.03, so we would do four nights (Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat) and would return home on Sunday. It's now or never?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo