Cure and depression

Started by Virpi, January 25, 2009, 21:06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

In my sphere two persons were once seriously affected by depression
and both of whom were not Cure fans."We" are seemingly less endangered.
Nevertheless, depression is a very serious disease. Gone! from WMS described
the state perfectly.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Hm, this is an interesting topic.

Somehow I don't agree with everything you said though: in my opinion, serious "depression" is a disease, which basically can hit anybody, no matter what their musical taste is!

But I can imagine The Cure's music pulling persons who are maybe a bit more "melancholy" as others. Many teenagers and especially the more "gothic" types got into the band, because in many songs they described feelings of "teenage angst", estrangement, sadness etc.

"Gone" I always did see as a description of someone who gives himself a bit of a "kick": don't just stay in bed, the world keeps turning, get out and get gone! (That someone might have been depressed, but in the song seems to overcome it and motivate himself...)

Another songs which might talk about something like depression is "Untitled":
Hopelessly fighting the devil futility
Feeling the monster climb deeper inside of me
Feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily
I'll never lose this pain
Never dream of you again
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on February 07, 2015, 12:59:59serious "depression" is a disease, which basically can hit anybody, no matter what their musical taste is!
Yes indeed. I think that Cure fans are more aware of the "dark shadow on the horizon" if you will.
Music can help when you're in (personal) trouble. I'm not sure if music can prevent a proper
depression. Maybe, but when you're suffering it you need in any case medical help.This is
what I have learned in the past fifteen years.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on February 08, 2015, 12:04:35
Music can help when you're in (personal) trouble.

Yep, I agree. Music can have "healing" effects. Absolutely.

"Music therapy" is also an important thing in my opinion. Apparently it only works with "real" music, not with the digital stuff (i.e. no cd's, mp3's and stuff)...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: MeltingMan on February 08, 2015, 12:04:35
Music can help when you're in (personal) trouble.
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum said Nietzsche, and how true is this! And yes, music can help you to relax, to escape but because of its power I can imagine it can sink you and make you more depressed if you already are (e.g. I don't think is a good idea to play "All Cats Are Grey" or "Faith" in a very bad moment).

Quote from: Ulrich on February 08, 2015, 18:58:16
Yep, I agree. Music can have "healing" effects. Absolutely.
Yes, indeed. Here's an interesting article on this subject music and healing.

I really can't imagine my life without music - specially music of The Cure, of course ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

-:- Elle Lie -:-

It's interesting what I just read.

I also think that people who have some life experience (rather complicated or testing) are very receptive to their music, without being really depressed.
We really have a higher sensitivity and we ask ourselves the "real" things "really" important. This is no longer the case now ...
Sometimes, I feel a little different from the others and completely shifted (Is that the word ?). I can't understand certain aspects of life and attitude of people, things that seem completely aberrant and abnormal.

I feel like I have taken another route but the others have stayed on the straight.
And when I listen to Cure, I feel like I'm on the right track and I feel in my place.

I'm very receptive to Robert's voice and his vibrations (yes, yes, I'm normal  :D), it's both strange and reassuring.
I always have a feeling of benevolence and love, I don't know where it comes from but it's like that... And I don't drink, don't smoke et don't take drugs ! (thanks to my daughter, she allows me to keep my feet on the ground  :smth060)