a new message from Perry

Started by monghi, August 16, 2005, 21:46:14

Previous topic - Next topic

monghi

www.perrybamonte.de

Since I left the band and Robert got Porl back I've heard that some people are saying bad things about Porl. I would like it to be known that I have the greatest respect for Porl, I have been friends with him since we met over 20 years ago, and we remained in contact after he left the Cure, I'm friends with his wife and his children -whom I love dearly, and I think he is one of Englands most talented guitarists. If Robert needs another person in the group then Porl is the obvious choice. I still don't know Robert's reason for putting me out of the band but that is his decision and I respect that. If I have no resentment against Porl, then I really don't see how anyone else should! He's a brilliant musician and also a lovely man whom I'm happy to count as one of my friends. It was Porl's wife who taught me (with great patience!) the rudiments of the keyboard, and it was Porl who suggested me as a replacement for Roger when he left the band, - you could say I owe him a lot! So please, dear Cure fans - have some respect for this lovely man.

Thank you, Perry
i never said i would stay to the end

dsanchez

I always liked Perry. Really sad to hear that he don't know why Bob kicked him :(

David.

Quote from: monghiwww.perrybamonte.de

Since I left the band and Robert got Porl back I've heard that some people are saying bad things about Porl. I would like it to be known that I have the greatest respect for Porl, I have been friends with him since we met over 20 years ago, and we remained in contact after he left the Cure, I'm friends with his wife and his children -whom I love dearly, and I think he is one of Englands most talented guitarists. If Robert needs another person in the group then Porl is the obvious choice. I still don't know Robert's reason for putting me out of the band but that is his decision and I respect that. If I have no resentment against Porl, then I really don't see how anyone else should! He's a brilliant musician and also a lovely man whom I'm happy to count as one of my friends. It was Porl's wife who taught me (with great patience!) the rudiments of the keyboard, and it was Porl who suggested me as a replacement for Roger when he left the band, - you could say I owe him a lot! So please, dear Cure fans - have some respect for this lovely man.

Thank you, Perry
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Tristan Berlin

I LOVE  PORL!!!!!! And I'm also sad about Perry's departure. Very nice statement.
(Wondering that he still doesn't know why he was kicked out off the band  :? )

lostflower4

Ok, this is probably going to make some people mad at me, but here goes...

As a guitar player myself, I never thought Perry was very good. If you listen to all the live stuff from when he replaced Porl, he just hit way too many bad notes, and his solos and improvisations were mediocre at times, to say the least.

Porl is a wilder player than Robert, but they both have a certain feel and energy in their playing that Perry could not come close to.

Maybe Robert decided that after all these years Perry just wasn't going to reach the level of the other band members in performance. And if he wanted to bring Porl back, I doubt Perry would be very happy about playing second fiddle to him again. I think Perry was more suited as a rhythm player, and that's why the Wish lineup was so great.

I've read an interview where Perry admits he's not at the level of Porl, so I think that's part of the reason in saying why he doesn't know why he was kicked out. I don't think anyone would want to outright say, "I'm just not that good".

Very interesting to read that Porl's wife taught Perry how to play the keys. Of course that's Robert's sister. What a big happy family!  :D

rodrigodechile

CREO QUE DIJISTE QUE PERRY NO ERA MUY BUENO. ESTAS EN LO CORRECTO PERRY ES MUY PLANO AL TOCAR LA GUITARRA. LE FALTA SENTIMIENTO

lostflower4

Quote from: rodrigodechileCREO QUE DIJISTE QUE PERRY NO ERA MUY BUENO. ESTAS EN LO CORRECTO PERRY ES MUY PLANO AL TOCAR LA GUITARRA. LE FALTA SENTIMIENTO

Comprendiste correctamente y convengo contigo! :wink:

cult_hero

Quote from: monghiI still don't know Robert's reason for putting me out of the band but that is his decision and I respect that.

that's a very mean behaviour by sir robert!

i was always satisfied with his playing and i think cure don't need "perfect" musicians...

i found this in another forum:

DontMoove

I am agree with Caley, Perry is not a great guitar player... he always "make is job" and i think he had reach a limit... but i really think that the man is a great guy...

entiendo el espanol tambien...que sorpresa, hay tanto ano que no le he leado !!! :D
JP

dsanchez

Quote from: cult_hero on August 17, 2005, 09:20:12
Quote from: monghiI still don't know Robert's reason for putting me out of the band but that is his decision and I respect that.

that's a very mean behaviour by sir robert!

i was always satisfied with his playing and i think cure don't need "perfect" musicians...

i found this in another forum:

Sounds crazy but this would be the right time for Perry to come back. He could play keyboards like in the beginning of 90's. Was so great...

But definitely that best guitarr player The Cure had was/is Porl...there's no doubt on this and he is really necesary in the band.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Bloodflower

I've always liked Perry. I've always liked Roger. I was never dissatisfied by either's musical ability, and, if I remember correctly, it was Perry who wrote the music to "Trust," which has long been one of my all-time favourite Cure songs.

Technical proficiency means little to me. The three-piece band from 1981 and 1982 was not the most technically proficient line-up, but I would argue that it was the best. Lol was never much of a drummer, but it was his very lack of drumming ability that made those songs work. It fit minimalism.

I would like to see Perry come back as a keyboardist. I've always seen The Cure as a band that was about WHO is in it, not how able they are at their instruments. Personality means a lot, I think.

Of course, it is entirely Robert's decision and it matters only how he feels. But I would like some keyboards back, even if they played a much smaller role than before. Really, I'd just like to get back to a more minimalist kind of style, perhaps with a band structured like that of Seventeen Seconds.

And I think I might get that, as everything seems to be reactionary. They've got Porl back again, which means outlandish guitar-work. Unless Robert has found what he wants and doesn't want to change the formula any more (which I am absolutely fine with!), then I think we'll see a stripped down Cure in a few years.

If you recall, the album that became Wild Mood Swings, a lavish and extravagant album, was originally a piano-guitar-drums, very stripped down album called Bare. After Porl left, there was a attempt at a minimalist style. Of course, that all changed with the Wild Mood Swings sessions.

The point is, I love Perry, I love Porl, I love Roger, and I love The Cure.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

splitmilk34

I personally feel that the Bloodflowers lineup was really the best (Disintegration lineup running a very close second), and I've always admired both Perry & Roger.  After watching the "Festival 2005" DVD, I came to the conclusion that this current lineup had the chance to do something really powerful guitar-wise... if Robert let's Porl run wild (and if Robert, a criminally underrated guitarist, runs a little wild himself).  Throughout the course of the DVD Porl NEVER really gets a chance to break the chains - although this may be due to the fact that the band was still working out the 'no-keyboard' aspect.  We can all sit around and wish that so-and-so was in (or back in) the band but the fact of the matter is we've got 4 guys making a record right now for no other reason than to make music.  No one in the Cure needs to be touring or making more money at this point... It's all for themselves and us fans.  What would be nice is the reinvention of The Cure as a juggernaut of reckless sound that pummels audiences into submission through sheer force of will - something Robert & co. can EASILY accomplish with the songs he has written.  Here's to the future - and to the end of my rant.
"... sleeping less every night"

KingOfSomeIsland

I think Perry is a pretty good guitarist, on the Swing tour(Paris Omnisport 10/15/96) and Flowers tour(Roxy Theatre, Atlanta 2/23/00)  bootlegs I have hes pretty sweet. he plays mean guitar on Want, 39, Watching Me Fall, and Why Can't I Be You. He kinda sucks on Trilogy though. Trilogy sucks compared to the bootlegs though.

lostflower4

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on February 09, 2007, 03:58:47
I think Perry is a pretty good guitarist, on the Swing tour(Paris Omnisport 10/15/96) and Flowers tour(Roxy Theatre, Atlanta 2/23/00)  bootlegs I have hes pretty sweet. he plays mean guitar on Want, 39, Watching Me Fall, and Why Can't I Be You. He kinda sucks on Trilogy though. Trilogy sucks compared to the bootlegs though.

It's amazing what different impressions/opinions people can have. I think he sounds like someone who can just barely play good enough to be in a professional band, and definitely not good enough for a band like The Cure (although I didn't mind him as a third guitarist on the Wish Tour). There's no way he would have gotten in if he wasn't friends with the band for 10 years before.

Usually a horrible guitar tone also â€" It was an incredibly happy moment for me when I heard that Porl was coming back! :rocker

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on February 09, 2007, 06:46:42

Usually a horrible guitar tone also â€" It was an incredibly happy moment for me when I heard that Porl was coming back! :rocker

word  :smth023

gioez

Well, I always liked Perry as a good person... and my consideration on him grown up when I saw him at concert in Rome in 2002: he was dressing as roma shirt, the football team that I love... you can imagine how I appreciated Perry.  :smth023

About his guitar style, well... it's so clear that he isn't a proper "guitar hero", but I agree with people saying that The Cure don't need perfect musicians. Porl is Porl, of course, he's great, but I like Perry too. In fact I liked so much the band in 1992 with Porl and Perry playing guitars and keyboards.
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]