FOREVER

Started by Purple Orchid, July 12, 2006, 22:43:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Orchid

Apparently there is a topic on this below, but I'd like to hear which are your favorite versions of this one, and maybe a little comment on them.
I was assembling a CD with all my versions (a tedious task towards the end) and have found some great ones!
I also found that in 1982, they didn't always play All Mine, but sometines Forever as well (I though it was only All Mine in '82)
Like for example the version from 05 June 1982 Palais D'Hiver  Lyon, France. They start with Forever and after a quiet section they go to All Mine.
Another strange one is August 05 1983, New York, the chords are not Forever nor All Mine! unfortunately, it is cut in the middle.
The Mansfield '89 version with Shellyan Orphan is good because of the singer and because of the violin, but the structure isn't really too interesting.
The one from September 29 1985 Queens Hall, Leeds (England) is really great! The entrance of the drums is a quite unusual and the sax is crazy here!
And I hadn't listened in a long time to the one from 08 August 1996 Salt Lake City, Utah. The transition from a Forest is great! And Jason does a few unusual things.
And I?m very fond of the version from Toronto 2004, the quiet section is great!
I'd like to hear your comments on this!
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...

chucky30

Hi,

I'm also collecting all great versions of ''Forever'' and ''All mine''. Did you the one the played at Hamburg 2002?? It has incredible power, especially when Robert sings ''Turn around!!!, Turn around!!!''. I have been looking for ages to  get the complete ''Forever'' from Lille 1981, which was one of the best versions too. Unfortunatly, I still have the cut version (about 7 min. only).

Purple Orchid

Yeah! Hamburg 2002 is great! And one of the few with great sound quality!
but only you see me...

chucky30

I still believe the 1982 versions of ''Forever'' or ''All mine'' were the best you can find.

lostflower4

Quote from: chucky30I still believe the 1982 versions of ''Forever'' or ''All mine'' were the best you can find.

I think '82 is great, but it wasn't really Forever. If you compare it musically, there's a big difference, besides the few exceptions that Purple Orchid pointed out.

I don't think I can give a fair answer to this. There's so much stuff I still haven't heard...

chucky30

Quote from: Purple Orchid
I also found that in 1982, they didn't always play All Mine, but sometines Forever as well (I though it was only All Mine in '82)
Like for example the version from 05 June 1982 Palais D'Hiver  Lyon, France. They start with Forever and after a quiet section they go to All Mine.

You are wrong Lost. In 1982, they have played at different occasions an improvisation that resembles a lot to ''Forever'' (like on June 5, at Palais d'hiver de Lyon). During this show, it was the first time that we could hear chords sequences that became the famous ''All mine''. So ''Forever'' has been played a few times during this tour.

Curetastraphy

They also Played Forever on May 27 82 in Strasbourg. Who knows if they went into All mine though

lostflower4

Quote from: chucky30
You are wrong Lost. In 1982, they have played at different occasions an improvisation that resembles a lot to ''Forever'' (like on June 5, at Palais d'hiver de Lyon). During this show, it was the first time that we could hear chords sequences that became the famous ''All mine''. So ''Forever'' has been played a few times during this tour.

Which is exactly why I said:

If you compare it musically, there's a big difference, besides the few exceptions that Purple Orchid pointed out.

8)

gioez

About "All mine" and "Forever" he's Robert Smith that said "I don't know how these songs had growed, I was so drunk all nights..." or something like that.

The version performed in Paris in 1982 is so different of many others... but I think that all versions have an unique history. It's possible write a book of thousands of pages about this "song"...  :D
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

Yves28

Oh speaking about All Mine from Paris 1982 (what a great version !), did anyone noticed that a part of the bass line played, rather at the end of the song, at about 8 or 9 min sounds like the bass line of Icing Sugar ?

... or maybe I'm wrong ...

Purple Orchid

OK, from my 23 shows from '82 I found Forever  also on:
April 18 1982 Top Rank Skating Bowl Plymouth England
April 23 Phonix Hall, Sheffield (England) (incomplete unfortunately)
and
May 27 1982 Tivoli Hall, Strasbourg, France (also incomplete)
I have to check 5 more shows only.

The version from May 06 1982 Theatre Carr?, Amsterdam (Netherlands) is rare, because along with The Cure Are Dead, it's not Forever nor All Mine!
(I'll check All Mine from Paris)
but only you see me...

Purple Orchid

So, as I was saying , I am assembling this audio CD of my favorite versions of Forever, but the wonderful version of August 8th Delta Center Salt Lake City 1996 I have it at 112kbps and doesn't sound well transferred to audio. Does anyone have this one at a higher bitrate and share it? Many thanks beforehand!
but only you see me...

lostflower4

Descent

They also played Forever in Bourges 1982.  :wink:

Lots of versions of the song are great.
Den Bosch 1984 is one of my favorite ones. It sounds tense.  :-D

Inshiver

Quote from: Descent
Den Bosch 1984 is one of my favorite ones. It sounds tense.  :-D

I didn't hear all the forever versions... but from all that I've heard is this one the best!!! It's very --> :twisted:
#Cheers - Patrick#