No more mp3 shows from tomorrow

Started by dsanchez, October 31, 2006, 15:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the decision taken by Curefans.com?

Great, we don't need the mp3 garbage anymore
13 (14.3%)
Great, there are enough mp3 shows in this forum (thousands)
6 (6.6%)
Cool, it will stop some people from just using the forum just to grab shows
1 (1.1%)
Great, FLAC or other lossless format will keep the quality of our Cure shows
18 (19.8%)
Bad, cause there are still some people who like mp3
47 (51.6%)
I don't care. FLAC or MP3, it's the same stuff to me
6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Oso Blanco

Quote from: crowbi_wan on November 02, 2006, 23:36:03
Fans that like to properly eq shows care.

I still don't think that it matters when it comes to audience recordings, but anyway ...

Traders who are tired of getting lossy shows in trades when they were assured of getting lossless ones care.

Now you'll get even more tired traders. If mp3 is prohibited around here, some people will probably convert their mp3 shows to flac and post them here anyway. This will add even more confusion to "the people who care" as well as to normal people.

Quote from: crowbi_wan on November 02, 2006, 23:36:03And some shows not being available in flac? :smth017  If a show was recorded it's available in flac.

I can't give you an example, but I'm sure that there are recordings out there that exist in mp3 only. Maybe someone somewhere has lossless version, but he doesn't even know this place or he is simply unwilling to share his version. What then?

Shouldn't we move forward as well?

Of course we should. But we should also let people decide for themselves what they want to download.
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

Oso Blanco

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2006, 23:52:54
since everyone's free to choose what to download anyway, so what's the fuzz? if somebody isn't interested in audience recordings, then it's not a problem - he/she may choose to pass those.

But you have to know if it is an audience recording BEFORE you download the show. That's why I'd like the downloads labelled correctly.

And if everyone is free to choose what to download anyway, why not allow mp3 AND flac and let people decide for themselves?

to hear people coming across a bit like "i think these shows are complete sh*t so you don't need to have it in any better format either".

I might put it in different words, but that's how I see it! Why using a lossless format on something that has very little to loose in the first place? But, to each his own. I only think that mp3 should still be allowed as an alternative for people who are a little less fanatic.

but i also might see what you are referring to here too, which is that all shows uploaded here would need much more detailed descriptions of the contents/sources/generation than has been put up so far - and on this i surely do agree. :!:

:smth023

lostflower4

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 03, 2006, 21:11:07
Shouldn't we move forward as well?

Of course we should. But we should also let people decide for themselves what they want to download.

We have to remember that mp3 was invented over 10 years ago. Back then, internet connections crawled compared to now. Even then, people still managed to get stuff. So it's all relative, no?

For me, I just see more of the same â€" that "more more more" is better. Well, I disagree.

japanesebaby

But we should also let people decide for themselves what they want to download.

exactly. and the only way to let people decide anything at all is to upload in original  uncompressed format - because if one decides to convert it to lossy format before sharing then any possiblity for deciding anything at all is permanently lost: you cannot undo the lossy compression once it's there = there's no decisions left to make, even if one wanted to.

so if you happen to choose to download what you think is a crappy sounding audience recording and then want to convert to mp3s just to save your HD space, then fine. but the sharing should originally take place in the original format so that people have some kind of possibility to choose anything at all. that's why it can be said that it should be a moral responsibility to try and keep the quality level of internet sharing as high as possible. please think of it as just like you don't like to be forced to download audience recordings you don't enjoy, there are also people who don't like someone out there making decision for others that some sad 128 kb/s horror is supposed to be just good enough for everyone.

and yes, i also think that times have changed. mp3s are a temporary format for your portable player, they are personal disposable copies, not source files for sharing.
(by the way, that's why it always amazes me that people are actually paying for mp3s in some internet download stores. surely you should pay for the real thing, regardless of whether you go and buy a cd or buy a download - but paying for lossy files? hmm.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

gioez

Quote from: lostflower4 on November 03, 2006, 22:05:53
We have to remember that mp3 was invented over 10 years ago. Back then, internet connections crawled compared to now. Even then, people still managed to get stuff. So it's all relative, no?

For me, I just see more of the same â€" that "more more more" is better. Well, I disagree.

I don't mind if mp3 format is 10 yo... Mp3 is still "compact", "flexible", etc.
Actually we have a lot of "Mp3 players", not "FLAC players", for example.
I'm not fanatic of "pure sound" or of "original recordings". And, like me, other people want still mp3 format.
But these are just opinions.
I don't understand only why the users of this nice forum cannot "CHOOSE". The succes of curefans.com (just my opinion) is the "freedom in choice" and wide variety of the fans that are registered here.

Finally, I'm just a fan who likes stay in this nice place and who accepts the staff's decisions, although different from my opinion.
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

lostflower4

Let me just make another point here. There have been way to many 128 kbps (and lower!) mp3 shows shared on here recently. And depending on what encoder/encoding method was used, some of these sound FAR inferior to their lossless counterparts. And yes, these were AUDIENCE recordings.

So what are we to do? Make some rule that that only 192 kbps and up is allowed? Well, then I know what would happen. People would be recompressing their mp3's to a higher bitrate. :smth011

As for lossless formats, there are usually ways to tell if something sourced from lossy files. Conversely, there is no way to compare the quality of mp3 encoding other than comparing everything against other files and the original, which is just time consuming and senseless.

slit-the-cats-like-cheese

Quote from: gioez on November 04, 2006, 00:46:37
I don't mind if mp3 format is 10 yo... Mp3 is still "compact", "flexible", etc.

but what is "flexible" in mp3? it is completely NON-flexible because one cannot make it back to original wav audio!
lossless wav is flexible because you can make it mp3 for your ipod if you need.
there is nothing flexible in mp3 in this way.
so if you really want to CHOOSE like you are wishing, you need original wav audio - you cannot CHOOSE anything if only thing to have is mp3/other lossy file. what can you choose then?
so sorry, but i don't undestand this point.

and why people talk of "fanatics for original recordings"? i see the prefering of lossless as possibility to try serve also those people who not like mp3. i have watched it and i notice that many people have original silver bootlegs for many shows and they want to share them (which is great because fans not should be paying for boot!) but they immediately convert to mp3 - even if they have the original CD in their possession? what the point? i don't undestand.
(and many people complain "i not have any lossless shows" - but i think many people have some of these silver boots at least, if nothing more. i think i know this to be true.) 

so you not have to be some kind of fanatic to prefer lossless shows. and it is not elitist to try to offer lossless files only.
elitist thing: elitist is to sit on your collection and say "i have this and i have that but i not share with you" - this is to be elitist.
or to go out and tape and tell everyone "i tape this how" and then never let anyone else hear it.

and im very sorry to notice it but i feel like so many people here who prefer mp3 and to forget the point that mp3 is forever mp3 and it never becomes anything else! so it never help people who not like mp3 - but people who like mp3 can download flac file and make it mp3. it not work both ways!
so when saying this new rule is bad because it hurt people who like mp3, you maybe not thinking that to prefer mp3 hurt people who like lossless. and because mp3 is forever mp3 it never any possibility for people who prefer lossless music. but people who prefer mp3 always benefit from lossless.

and this:
MP3 IS BETTER THAN FLAC

REASONS?!

1) MP3 IS FASTER FOR DOWNLOADING
2) MP3 IS EASIER FOR COLLECTING  (UP TO TEN BOOTS PER CD)
3) MP3 IS AFTER ALL - A FAIR QUALITY SOUNDING (FOR BOOT... , REMEMBER TAPES?!?!?!)

hey what kind of guideline is this something like "because this is nice and quick and easy it mean it is BEST??"
sorry i don't understand at all. because it is the same as you say all shit quality replica products are better than the original  product they try to imitating and hey this cheap crap watch i just buy is better than the original quality watch it try to imitate, it is better because it was so cheap and easy to get and i don't care if it's shit and break apart very soon so i have to buy new one  because it's simply great because it was cheap and easy! and hey i also love fast food best because it is quick and easy and so  all gourmet food is complete shit because it take time to prepare it and it take some effort and i hate all kind of effort i only want everything very fast for me and so it is so much easier to go and eat shit quality hamburgers all the time and i think it's even great for my health!

sorry but this FAST AND EASY IS THE BEST is just crap way to think if you think about it even second!

AND THEY ALL NEED MP3 FILES TO GET STUFF QUICKLY!

they all need? i don't undestand: please tell me any reason why it must be quickly?

i ask: what is the value of thinking everything must be "fast fast fast more more more faster faster faster"??
i can see no value in this. if there some value here, then value is in the quality of the show/music. not in how fast or slow you get it.
sorry, this make no sense to me.

SO, f*ck FLAC!
f*ck ALL LOSLESS FORMATS UR THEIR STUPID ASSES!

hey sorry very much  but this is like craziest thing i ever hear in this board.
because f*ck LOSLESS?: hey excuse me but i think you should then say: f*ck LOSSLESS SO f*ck MP3 BECAUSE MP3 BECOMES FROM f*cking AWFUL FLAC FILES! because mp3 is not born out of nowhere, so if you say I HATE FLAC I HATE LOSSLESS FILES then you are saying f*ck THIS MUSIC! 
well ok for me if you hate music then but why you listen to it?
i not looking for argument but this is my opinion. so sorry for my words but i think this is just completely crazy talk.

thanks.

lostflower4

Quote from: slit-the-cats-like-cheese on November 04, 2006, 01:48:34
hey what kind of guideline is this something like "because this is nice and quick and easy it mean it is BEST??"
sorry i don't understand at all. because it is the same as you say all shit quality replica products are better than the original  product they try to imitating and hey this cheap crap watch i just buy is better than the original quality watch it try to imitate, it is better because it was so cheap and easy to get and i don't care if it's shit and break apart very soon so i have to buy new one  because it's simply great because it was cheap and easy! and hey i also love fast food best because it is quick and easy and so  all gourmet food is complete shit because it take time to prepare it and it take some effort and i hate all kind of effort i only want everything very fast for me and so it is so much easier to go and eat shit quality hamburgers all the time and i think it's even great for my health!

sorry but this FAST AND EASY IS THE BEST is just crap way to think if you think about it even second!

:smth005

There's actually a lot of truth in these words...

dsanchez

It's nice to see discussions in the forum, altought with different opiniones, I think it's nice to read what others thinks and make our own opinion.

Personally speaking I didn't agree with the Curefans Staff about the idea of switching to losseless audio section in the forum and letting out the mp3 files, cause I knew some people wouldn't like that. But in the end they convinced me and I think there are good reasons for this:

1) first, it's evident that it's best to share shows in the best quality as possible, keeping the quality of the original bootleg. That's only possible now with formats like FLAC or SHN, they allow us to compress the file more than WAV without losing the quality.-

2) second, I don't see what's the problem about stoping sharing mp3. First, there are already THOUSANDS mp3 bootlegs in this forum. Second, there are a dozen of sites who actually are sharing this format. That means, all the people who likes MP3 can find them very easy and quickly everywhere. So why not make the difference and focus on quality?. Why not make Curefans.com a forum where you can discuss about your great band but also where you can share bootlegs with good sound, high quality, loseless format?.

3) finally, people can download flac shows here and convert them to mp3 for their own, personal use. So no problem in playing the files in their favourite Ipod, altought I hear the new ones are supporting already FLAC files.

Cheers,

David.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Oso Blanco

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 04, 2006, 00:42:08
But we should also let people decide for themselves what they want to download.

exactly. and the only way to let people decide anything at all is to upload in original  uncompressed format

No, you're wrong. If you have it this way, people don't have a choice what they'd rather download because YOU are making that choice for them. Oh, let me guess ... it's for their own good, right? Because they are not mentally capable of making the "right" choice. If they don't know what's good for them, they must not be given a choice! Sorry, but this kind of thinking is causing me a heavy allergic reaction.

you cannot undo the lossy compression once it's there = there's no decisions left to make, even if one wanted to.

You still don't understand, do you? This is not about flac OR mp3! One must not exclude the other! Why can't both formats exist here? No one will force you to download any mp3's. But it might make life a lot easier for people with slow connections, or people who think that flac would be a waste on audience recordings. Maybe I would even download certain audience recordings, but not if they are huge flac files.

If the downloads are properly labelled, everyone can download whatever he wants!

by the way, that's why it always amazes me that people are actually paying for mp3s in some internet download stores. surely you should pay for the real thing, regardless of whether you go and buy a cd or buy a download - but paying for lossy files? hmm.

On this one, I'll have to agree with you. Unless the official download is considerably cheaper than the cd, it's absolutely crazy to pay for it. If it's roughly the same price, I'd rather buy the cd. Or download it somewhere else.

Oso Blanco

Quote from: lostflower4 on November 04, 2006, 00:56:12
So what are we to do? Make some rule that that only 192 kbps and up is allowed? Well, then I know what would happen. People would be recompressing their mp3's to a higher bitrate.

And now people are converting their mp3's to flac.

As for lossless formats, there are usually ways to tell if something sourced from lossy files.

Of course, there are ways. But first you have to download the files ... sometimes even the entire show, if it's packed in an archive. Wouldn't you be pissed if you downloaded some 700 MB just to find out that it's actually just a converted mp3?

So, why not let people upload their mp3 shows and label them as such? No one will force you to download any of them!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 04, 2006, 02:50:22
So what are we to do? Make some rule that that only 192 kbps and up is allowed? Well, then I know what would happen. People would be recompressing their mp3's to a higher bitrate.

And now people are converting their mp3's to flac.

it has been suggested already that this will be monitored. of course it must be.

As for lossless formats, there are usually ways to tell if something sourced from lossy files.

Of course, there are ways. But first you have to download the files ... sometimes even the entire show, if it's packed in an archive. Wouldn't you be pissed if you downloaded some 700 MB just to find out that it's actually just a converted mp3?

So, why not let people upload their mp3 shows and label them as such? No one will force you to download any of them!

?
of course there's no point of downloading 700 MBs of crap - but the solution to avoid this would be to bring mp3s back?
hasn't it also been suggested that people need to post samples, and better make it a wav-sample so both the quality (whatever it is that people think this word means) and the lossless-ness can be checked from this at the same time.
this is a really easy method.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Maybe I'm sick and tired of shit like the following happening...

For those with a Dime account, go here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=115472

For those without, here's a mirror on my site:

http://www.imaginary-lemurs.com/archives/Dime/torrents-details.php.htm

Some of you may recognize those initials. Yes, a Cure taper too. Many of these guys are fed up with their shows spreading as mp3 and have chosen to just sit on them instead.

Now, I'm sure many of you will be tempted to say, "Well, f*ck them."

Ok... But then we all lose, don't we?

mauriciocuree

I prefer the mp3files, but if you want only flac, is ok for me

dsanchez

"Even I don't visit this site so often (at least not for download files), this new rule is great. Because everytime I remembered the site Curefans.com It always came to my mind "download mp3" and few messages, because you only would find one post where something interesting was written, and hundreds of reply of *thank you* messages, but not a real contribution to the forum.

Back to the proposition of the staff, it seems they wish to imitate another sites with the same idea. It's good to put quality over quantity. Personally, everytime I went to bootleg sites, I did prefer find files with FLAC, SHN and others loseless formats, instead of hundreds of hundreds mp3 files, where even you would find manipulated files"

I could not agree more with this post (translated from http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3047.msg18481.html#msg18481)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo