No more mp3 shows from tomorrow

Started by dsanchez, October 31, 2006, 15:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the decision taken by Curefans.com?

Great, we don't need the mp3 garbage anymore
13 (14.3%)
Great, there are enough mp3 shows in this forum (thousands)
6 (6.6%)
Cool, it will stop some people from just using the forum just to grab shows
1 (1.1%)
Great, FLAC or other lossless format will keep the quality of our Cure shows
18 (19.8%)
Bad, cause there are still some people who like mp3
47 (51.6%)
I don't care. FLAC or MP3, it's the same stuff to me
6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 90

blue

i went 2 the site, tried 2 register & saw some questions i have 2 answer..
what's that?
& can i only share bootlegs vis dc++ ??
[/quote]

Just read rules on the site. Generally the rules contain answers for questions during registration.
One of the main rule is sharing min. 5 GB lossless music. But of course you can download as well as share, due to P2P work  :smth020
and follow me to where the real fun is

Cure

yeah but i don't have 1gb non-mp2 stuff..
u c, i only have mp3's & videos..
so i'm unable 2 get access 2 the site?
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

Cure

oh, & btw, what about the poll??
as u can c, the majority still likes mp3..

so, it's meaningless 2 say our opinion, right?
i mean that the whole thing of the poll was useless..
underneath the stars
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

blue

Quote from: Cure on November 01, 2006, 14:05:36

for the beggining you have to share only 1 GB lossless music, just after some time you have to up your share to min 5 GB, but it is easy if you are downloading and next sharing same music.
Read rules : http://www.bootlegarchive.com/faq.asp

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure on November 01, 2006, 14:07:09
oh, & btw, what about the poll??
as u can c, the majority still likes mp3..

so, it's meaningless 2 say our opinion, right?
i mean that the whole thing of the poll was useless..

first of all, nobody's opinion is meaningless, everyone can speak up their opinion here.  :!:
but please note that the poll says "What do you think about the decision taken by Curefans.com?" - so the poll was mainly up because the staff is interested to hear what members think about this new decision, just like there was the other thread (mentioned before) open for discussions and comments already much earlier.

maybe we could also note that these issues connected to "lossless sharing vs. lossy sharing" have never really been discussed in public on the forums before (at least that i know about it). i suppose that mp3s/other lossy & compressed formats just somehow have been considered as an "ideal" sharing format on the web without ever really questioning the consequences of it. so lossy formats simply have been taken for granted (amazingly), although they clearly have caused a lot of decreasing of overall quality over the years. :!:  well, the favoring of compressed formats was somehow understandable in the old times when most everyone had only slow modem conncetions, but since the overall speed has increased hugely there's really no such excuse anymore - that is if it even ever was any kind of reasonable excuse at all...
anyway, personally i'd think it's about time to try and do something about it.

about sharing in general, i think blue had good points about it: the likes of megaupload are simply nowhere near any kind of ideal way of mass-sharing, systems like torrents are much better for that - and those work on a lossless basis, not on mp3s. so, if one wants to join torrents, mp3s are not getting anyone anywhere anyway. and let's also remember that good ol' trading is a good way of exchanging shows too. we could also think that the flac shows that get uploaded here can help many members starting to build a collection with tradeable lossless shows, therefore providing them an opportunity to get more such shows in the future, either via torrents or trading. so the purpose of all this surely isn't to prevent people from sharing, but trying to take the level of quality of the shared shows higher - which i'd like to think would benefit everyone in the community in the end.
so, putting up a collection of lossless shows: it can take a little time and effort to get oneself started but if one wants to do it, here are some possibilities/opportunities.

and i do understand that the change might feel harsh for some members, but i personally wouldn't see it as a fully tragic situation after all: because as mentioned here many times before, we should remember that the forum was never supposed to be primarily a hub and a sharing facility anyway, but a place for discussion and meeting other people, making contacts - well, also exchanging a few shows every now and then.
but i suppose we could afford it to share less but then maybe discuss more? exchange thoughts and not just files sets...?  ;)
or would that be "wishing for impossible things"? i'd like to believe no....

m
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

temptation-cure

hehe who can see into the poll who has winn?
i see more point for the mp3 in this poll
Oh that boy is a slag the best u ever had , the best u ever had is just a memory and those dreams but weren't daft as they seem , not as daft as they seem..oh my love when u dreamed them up..oh flo where did u go .. oww ohh(F.A)
-----------------------------------

http://temptation-cure.galeon.com

Joelad3

I stopped downloading mp3 quite a while ago, so I'm fine with this new rule. Yet, concerning FLAC files, you already have tons of torrent trackers and DC++ hubs providing them. I guess that curefans will face hard competition... with a serious disadvantage: with torrent trackers people don't need to spend half a day uploading their files on megaupload.com before others start to get them. Also, with the torrent system you can download only the files you want or a sample first to check sound quality. Here it is often not possible. Should I also mention that megaupload links expire and so on...

This is a very friendly site but unless you really think about how you want to deal with your new rules in the future many people may leave the boat and curefans look more like an empty shell than anything else. I'm sure some people will keep sharing their comments but it may not be the same.

So, why not compromising ? Let say when no lossless FLAC are available then mp3 should be fine. When 320 mp3 are available then replace 160mp3, etc... It's a way to keep the best available quality and keep the Curefans spirit.

All the best anyway. I guess it has been a hard decision to take !!

Joelad
Joelad

blue

Quote from: Joelad3 on November 01, 2006, 16:36:34
[...] Yet, concerning FLAC files, you already have tons of torrent trackers and DC++ hubs providing them. I guess that curefans will face hard competition... with a serious disadvantage: with torrent trackers people don't need to spend half a day uploading their files on megaupload.com before others start to get them. Also, with the torrent system you can download only the files you want or a sample first to check sound quality. Here it is often not possible. Should I also mention that megaupload links expire and so on... [...]

bingo, I agree in 100 %  :smth023

japanesebaby

Quote from: Joelad3 on November 01, 2006, 16:36:34
I stopped downloading mp3 quite a while ago, so I'm fine with this new rule. Yet, concerning FLAC files, you already have tons of torrent trackers and DC++ hubs providing them. I guess that curefans will face hard competition... with a serious disadvantage: with torrent trackers people don't need to spend half a day uploading their files on megaupload.com before others start to get them. Also, with the torrent system you can download only the files you want or a sample first to check sound quality. Here it is often not possible. Should I also mention that megaupload links expire and so on...

This is a very friendly site but unless you really think about how you want to deal with your new rules in the future many people may leave the boat and curefans look more like an empty shell than anything else. I'm sure some people will keep sharing their comments but it may not be the same.

So, why not compromising ? Let say when no lossless FLAC are available then mp3 should be fine. When 320 mp3 are available then replace 160mp3, etc... It's a way to keep the best available quality and keep the Curefans spirit.

All the best anyway. I guess it has been a hard decision to take !!

Joelad

what comes to 'hard competition', i don't think curefans never wanted to be a hub - maybe it became that way lately and that's why certain decisions were made recently. good or bad? well, at least i don't think anyone imagined it to be a simple decision. will it make some members less active and even leave? maybe, even probably so, unfortunately. but maybe it will also activate some members who haven't been interested in participating so far(?). maybe. we'll see, i guess. but at least, no-one here is being told to leave - like has happened on some other forums...
but yes, i do see your points there. and what comes to the use of megaupload, i do agree: it's not very practical. but that's why it has been suggested several times that members of the staff with extra ftp space can host the shows too. i've uploaded a few to a "local" ftp here and they've been shared that way - worked fine. ok, i still had to spend time uploading it all but at least those links don't expire. and maybe the upload speed was even faster too. and of course, it doesn't beat the torrent system where you can just start sharing straight from your HD. but again, be it good or bad: were we ever really able compete with trackers anyway? were we even supposed to?

what comes to the worry of not being able to check the quality of the downloads: i think it's pretty easy to solve and it also has been suggested several times here that people uploading would also upload a separate sample - it really doesn't take long to do that. so i'd suggest it would definitely be a good guideline for all future uploads.
(besides, the same idea of sample uploading was already suggested in related to mp3s too: it wouldn't have hurt there either - quite on the contrary, considering the poor quality of most mp3s. at least i stopped downloading mp3s completely at some point, often even passing shows that i didn't have, just because of all the repeated disappointments. :?)

what comes to mp3s and compromising: i'd like to think the reasons for saying 'no' to them in general were discussed quite thoroughly and several issues/problems with sticking to mp3s were raised before this decision was made. and even if we'd take a more moderate attitude towards it i think it simply would be pretty impossible to control, to judge which mp3s are "good enough" and which aren't. i do see the points behind your suggestion, how versions could be upgraded: but it's also quite problematic since i cannot see how it would work without some kind of effective seeder's forum where people compared their versions first before anyone uploaded. and i think that would be pretty restrictive too, and in some ways i think it's still closer to "the curefans spirit" if we maintain the atmosphere where people can still share without consulting some kind of board first and ask for a "permission" for upping something.(?)

m
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Tof

I recently stop to download torrent because I have a problem to download the shows, I read somewhere that my provider block the P2P files !!!

So I'm very happy that CUREFANS share FLAC shows !!! :-D

If someone have a solution ???

My provider is "FREE"...

Tof

Cure

yeah, but doesn't dling from torrent sites need registration? cuz there's a q there.. am i wrong?
underneath the stars
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

monghi

it´s a strange... you don´t think about fans who has low speed connection to internet... flac files are so big
i never said i would stay to the end

Massimo

Well,first of all i agree with this new decision pointing on flac or other lossless formats for several reasons (most of them hugely and well explained by Marika some posts before).
Just i wanted to focus on a particular:
when we talk about shows quality of lossless formats,we should better talk of "integrity".
I mean we can have a wonderful sounding mp3 show and an awful sounding flac one..so we must intend,IMO,a flac concert as the closest possible to the original recording(that can be excellent or terrible).
My idea is that there're people still considering flac=wonderful sound and that's not  true (i wish it was .. :roll: )..but it's the only way to preserve the original recording as best as possible.  ;)
Have a nice day :-D

dsanchez

Quote from: monghi on November 02, 2006, 07:11:45
it´s a strange... you don´t think about fans who has low speed connection to internet... flac files are so big

People with slow connections have actually 6200 mp3 bootlegs to download. If any of them wants one who is not there and have problems with the internet connection, they always can reach us to curefans@gmail.com or post their wish in the "Request" section. We will help them!

Cheers,

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Hello Cure,

Do not worry. We will post FLAC shows here on a regular basis, and you won't need torrent access or something else for downloading (also I want to point that not everyone can access to torrent because of permissions in certain networks).

Cheers

David.

Quote from: Cure on November 01, 2006, 14:05:36
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo