(When) Will The Cure Get A Keyboardist?

Started by Bloodflower, May 31, 2007, 22:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodflower

Do you think The Cure will get another keyboardist?

Do you think this keys-less lineup is final?

If The Cure were to get another keyboardist, do you think it would be the rejoining of someone like Roger or Perry?

Do you think Porl or Robert would switch to keys?

If The Cure were to get another keyboardist, when do you think it would happen? Next album? Album after that? et cetera....

Do you WANT The Cure to get a keyboardist again?

Feeling the pulse...,

Bloodflower
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Janko

IT DEPENDS...

MAYBE THE NEW SONGS DONT HAVE KEYBOARDS AT ALL!

ANYWAY, PORL IS A GOOD KEYBOARDIST, SO...

:smth023
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Bloodflower

Quote from: Janko on May 31, 2007, 22:32:44
IT DEPENDS...

MAYBE THE NEW SONGS DONT HAVE KEYBOARDS AT ALL!

ANYWAY, PORL IS A GOOD KEYBOARDIST, SO...

Even if the new songs don't have keyboards, many old songs are quite dependent on them. Plainsong without keys is not as good, in my mind, as Plainsong with keys, and I'm hardly the only one who feels this way. I can't see how songs like All Cats Are Grey or The Funeral Party or Charlotte Sometimes or (insert any number of songs here) would work well without keys. And it is one thing to ignore one's ancient back-catalogue (such as the Dark Trilogy period), but newer songs from albums like Bloodflowers and Wish (not to mention Disintegration!) demand keys.

Heh... I guess it's obvious, then, that I'm in favour of a return to keys.

Dillinger

i want the keys back.

if the next album flops i have no doubt they'll return, if its a success i cant see them returning unless theres a shock return from someone

Janko

... AND WHAT IS WORST - PORL IS INTO THIS GUITAR GADGETRY THAT "CAN" MAKE "KEYBOARD SOUNDS" ...

:smth011

figurehead

I really don't care about kbds,i didn't missed them at all.
After all Porl can play everything (almost) with his guitar!
:)
So...
But if they are gonna have keys back then i think that they should rejoin a member from the past.
Personla opinion ,of course.
'Is It Always Like This?'

Bloodflower

I just have trouble imaging, say, Homesick without keyboards. Or Trust. Or Bare. All Cats Are Grey. The Funeral Party. Cold. Jupiter Crash.....

figurehead

Well as you might seen at last tour (summer 2005) they played some great songs without keys,let's say 'let's go to bed' or 'why can't i be you?' 'lullaby' or even 'lovesong'
They manage them with their guitars & it worked out nice!
That is my opinion,but yes there are some songs like the ones you mention ('trust' or 'all cats are grey') that can't be heard without keys for sure...
But why to worry about?I don't think that they will try them ever again...
So just enjoy The Cure as long as they will be as a liliving band.
'Is It Always Like This?'

Janko

AFTER PLAINSONG WITHOUT THE KEYBOARDS...

EVERYIHING GOES!

Bloodflower

Quote from: figurehead on June 06, 2007, 10:05:38
Well as you might seen at last tour (summer 2005) they played some great songs without keys,let's say 'let's go to bed' or 'why can't i be you?' 'lullaby' or even 'lovesong'
They manage them with their guitars & it worked out nice!
That is my opinion,but yes there are some songs like the ones you mention ('trust' or 'all cats are grey') that can't be heard without keys for sure...
But why to worry about? I don't think that they will try them ever again...
So just enjoy The Cure as long as they will be as a liliving band.

It is the realisation of this that dismays me. There are too many great songs that cannot be sustained without keyboards.... And I'd hate, for my own selfish, egocentric reasons, to think of The Cure as an old band, putting along without the ability to play many of their best.... I am a somewhat firm believer that egocentrism is an absolute, and a necessity; that the only things that matter, matter because of the eyeglass through which one views the world. Others will say that it's up to Robert, and that I should be happy with him in the absolute, but I disagree with that. If I were him, then it would make sense for me to follow his wants and desires only, instead of my own. But at the same time, I agree with many of the things said and done by Robert.... Or, I dread to think and dread more to say, my mentality is more in-tune with Robert's old mentality....

strange_day

I dont think age has anything to do with it really, i think Robert really wanted a change.... and why not? same lineup for 10 years, songs being played pretty much the same way etc.

I accept that some songs will never really work without keyboards, but at the same time i think its really shaken things up a bit, the group mentality seems a bit more experimental and i like that...... its like "yeah lets play a song like The Walk, who cares if we dont have a keyboard player?" it still sounds good. Id rather hear a guitar than a cheesy brass sound on a keyboard.

although its now entirely guitar based, i dont think thats limited them in anyway, if anything they can do whatever they want with it and it sounds different. Lets face it, say youve been playing a song for 20 odd years, approaching it in a completely new way is great, its exactly what they need to keep excited about playing music and the fact that they care about having that passion in the group is as much as you can ask for.

I think if were all honest, some of the performances in recent years with the 5 piece lineup almost felt like they were going through the motions, since the lineup change ive noticed how theres a lot more energy in what they do, like a younger band, some songs being played faster and heavier etc.....

so if, (or when) they get a keyboard, it should just be one of them.... although i really dont think it matters that much.

Bloodflower

I would love for either Robert or Porl to play keys instead of guitar, at least on some songs. I'd love it even more if they brought Perry back for keys. I've always liked Perry very much, and I think The Cure really ought to be a five-piece, so none of the songs need to be neglected.

Janko

BRING STEVE SEVERIN ON KEYS!!!

:rocker

PS

PORL SHOULD PLAY KEYBOARDS!

Carnage Visor

I really think the Cure should go back to it's synth ways...That's what they are missing these days!

mrd6376

Quote from: Bloodflower on May 31, 2007, 22:01:22
Do you think The Cure will get another keyboardist?

Do you think this keys-less lineup is final?

If The Cure were to get another keyboardist, do you think it would be the rejoining of someone like Roger or Perry?

Do you think Porl or Robert would switch to keys?

If The Cure were to get another keyboardist, when do you think it would happen? Next album? Album after that? et cetera....

Do you WANT The Cure to get a keyboardist again?

Feeling the pulse...,

Bloodflower

Yes, the Cure needs a full-time keyboardist, preferably Roger O'Donnell, the best keyboardist who ever worked with the band.