do you make sports?

Started by dsanchez, August 27, 2007, 17:25:45

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Wonder if anyone here does sports in a regular basis. I used to play soccer once per week, but don't do it since about 6 months ago (my friends don't agree for a specific time to play). Well, so since that time I am doing nothing. And I work in front of a computer most of the day, and then I go home. That's bad. I am getting "a bag for a belly" since a couple of years ago  :?

What about you guys/girls?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Tof

I do a little bicycle one or twice per week with a friend.
we make approximately 30 kilometers.
Tof

dsanchez

Quote from: Tof on August 27, 2007, 17:30:33
I do a little bicycle one or twice per week with a friend.
we make approximately 30 kilometers.

That's cool. I do have a byke (in my parents), but now I live in a little flat in a third floor, so it's complicated to bring the bike there. I think I'll have to play soocer asap. I don't want to become Homer Simpson!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Tof

You do bicycle in Lima !!!  :shock:

You are crazy !!!  With the mountain and the altitude it must be very difficult !!!
Tof

dsanchez

Quote from: Tof on August 27, 2007, 17:38:03
You do bicycle in Lima !!!  :shock:

You are crazy !!!  With the mountain and the altitude it must be very difficult !!!

Tof, actually Lima is in the coast. Peru has 3 regions: coast, sierra (the Andes, is high there) and jungle. Here in the coast altitude is just 500m over the sea. I guess in the Andes drive in byke must be harder :D
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Tof

Sorry David I confused with La Paz  :oops:

I will revise my geography  :lol:
Tof

j

I play in a mens ice hockey league (I play for my employer).  I also coach my son's travel ice hockey team.

Playing men's league is tough....considering most of our games are at 11pm, so I don't get home until 1am.  I then get into work by 5:30am!

As recently as about 3 years ago, I played on 3 different roller hockey teams (in 3 different leagues), all at the same time.  That was tough, but a blast.

The wife sort of forced me to hang the skates up for a while, based on injuries.  Within a 3 year period, I has 3 knee surgeries and a hernia surgery.  Getting old sucks!   :smth093

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on August 27, 2007, 17:43:05
Here in the coast altitude is just 500m over the sea.

hehe i don't doubt this wasn't true but it just sounds somehow funny to me. because there're no such high place as 500 m above the sea level in all of the southern finland/coastal regions - you'd need to go to the fell region (in lapland) to get to those figures. :-P
i just mean, it sounds funny to someone like me that "a coast" can be such a high country.

i recently visited the ostrobothnian region of finland, which is famous for it's flat environment. the reason for this is the last ice age: the central ice sheet was actually llocated pretty much exactly where finland is now, so everything around here was covered by kilometers thick ice sheet... bbbrrhhhh!
anyway, this ice sheet was so heavy that it literally pushed the face of the earth down, making a sort of huge "dent" to it. and after the ice slowly melted, the ground started slowly getting back to where it was. but this is very slow process and so the ground is actually still rising here. the change is most notable on this ostrobothian region. and since this region is on the coast, it means new land is slowly rising from the sea - so finland is actually getting bigger, little by little. i think the speed is something like 1 centimeter up per year (as compared to the sea level).
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 27, 2007, 18:13:22

hehe i don't doubt this wasn't true but it just sounds somehow funny to me. because there're no such high place as 500 m above the sea level in all of the southern finland/coastal regions - you'd need to go to the fell region (in lapland) to get to those figures. :-P
i just mean, it sounds funny to someone like me that "a coast" can be such a high country.

Yeah I guess it must sound funny somehow  :roll:

But Peru is an "Andino" country and we have so(!) high mountains (the highest reaching 6768 metters over the sea) that sometimes we might not realize 500m is maybe "high" already :)

So do you make sports Marika? :D
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

ok this was about sport and not about geography/history of the world.

i used to bike quite a lot, especially when i lived closed to where i work. then i often used to go to work by bike.
this summer i haven't been biking at all, strangely.

i think i'd really enjoy playing soccer but i'm so crap in it. so i haven't really founnd any group of "similarly crappy" people who would play with me. :S

i like swimming and that's pretty much the only kind of sport i've been into lately. there's an open air pool quite near where i live (originally built for the olympics games in the 50s) and i've been going there a lot this summer. a nice place but often quite crowded.
anyway, the summer season is unfortunately over: yesterday was literally "the last day of summer" because yesterday was the last day the place was opened. today it's closed for winter until late may 2009. :S

for winter sports, i'd actually really like cross-country skiing but it's not very pracical when you live in a city, unfortunately. but that's one of the few reasons why i miss living in the country, actually.
(but i don't get any of the slope stuff: people going up with a ski lift and then let the gravity take them down? i've always found that totally uninteresting).

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on August 27, 2007, 18:17:59

Yeah I guess it must sound funny somehow  :roll:

But Peru is an "Andino" country and we have so(!) high mountains (the highest reaching 6768 metters over the sea) that sometimes we might not realize 500m is maybe "high" already :)

yes, in southern finland i think anything over 200 meters is considered pretty high. and i don't think there even is anything much higher than that.
in the so-called "fell country" (in the north) the highest "peaks" are just barely over 1000 meters. mostly between 500-1000 meters i think. so there are no real mountians in finland, that's why they are called fells and not mountians.
but yet the landscape is so barren because of the rough cold climate that i suppose it often looks like it's higher than that.
some info (+ a pretty typical pic) here:

http://www.visitfinland.com/w5/au/index.nsf/(Pages)/Nature_and_Wildlife

Tof

When I was young I made different sport judo(1 year), soccer(2 years), gymnastics(1 year), basket ball (10 year).

Tof

dsanchez

i recently visited the ostrobothnian region of finland, which is famous for it's flat environment. the reason for this is the last ice age: the central ice sheet was actually llocated pretty much exactly where finland is now, so everything around here was covered by kilometers thick ice sheet... bbbrrhhhh!
anyway, this ice sheet was so heavy that it literally pushed the face of the earth down, making a sort of huge "dent" to it. and after the ice slowly melted, the ground started slowly getting back to where it was. but this is very slow process and so the ground is actually still rising here. the change is most notable on this ostrobothian region. and since this region is on the coast, it means new land is slowly rising from the sea - so finland is actually getting bigger, little by little. i think the speed is something like 1 centimeter up per year (as compared to the sea level).
That sound pretty interesting. In Peru is the other way, our highest mountains are losing "ice" because of the global warming. That's pitty :(

I have a magazine from Finland about Karelia region. It looks so much beautiful and peaceful, kind of paradise. I promised myself go there once ;)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on August 27, 2007, 18:32:20
I have a magazine from Finland about Karelia region. It looks so much beautiful and peaceful, kind of paradise. I promised myself go there once ;)

yes it is (or should i say 'used to be') very beautiful. but the most famous and most beautiful part of it, the so-called "ladoga karelian" and "karelian isthmus" (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia) was lost to the russian in the 2nd world war. before this it was unofficially known to be the most beautiful region in finland.
this "karelian issue" is unfortunately still a very soft topic in finland sometimes, people get easily very sentimental about it. it's somehow understandable because there's a lot of people who had to leave this area and leave their homes and everything their owned there when the peace treaty with russians was dictated the way it was. it is sad like it always is with all wars, but i think people should move on and forget, and not let these things grow on their minds and keep feelings of anger towards our neighbors. because it doesn't do anyone any good. 
anyway, only the northern karelia remains as part of finland today. it's somewhat more north so it's not similar region. yet the lake pielinen and the famous hill of 'koli' are worth seeing:
http://www.turisti.fi/files/images/koli.jpg
http://www.aikalomat.fi/extra/ext/cms_kuvat/524koli1.jpg

be welcome for a visit. ;)

boneheadhaggar

I used to do a lot of athletics (middle distance and cross country racing) now due to injuries, time, etc. all I do is coach my sons soccer team
its nice to be nice