UN Food Program...give without spending!

Started by scatcat, December 09, 2007, 14:11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Here is a link to a brilliant website,

http://www.freerice.com/

it has a vocab test, and for every correct answer, 10 grains of rice are donated to the UN food program, paid for by the sponsers whose ads are on the website.
It allows people to give without spending money!

It is a brilliant website, and very addictive!

So Give It a Go!! The more rice donated means less starving people in the world!!

You can revisit the site and it all adds up!

cheers!  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ROGUE

Thats a very nice idea ~ Thank you  :D   Next time iam bored, which is often this time of year, i will do.  :smth023

edit ~ me too, i donated some rice  ;) 2040-   :smth023   Nice to do something good that doesnt cost money for a change.
Found it interesting, got stuck on it. Least it is for a cause.

silversand

Thanks for the link scatcat :) It's a great idea  :smth023
I've donated 600 grains of rice.

robiola

Great link, Scatcat.
It's rather addictive, too... I just donated 4000 grains -- that means I was there a while! Let's just hope it's all true....

Steve

Nice one Lara.
:smth023

We should send it to all the world leaders, as it seems they don't want to spend money.
Thay must all be decended from Scots. ;)
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

melly

I have made a contribution also.... just wondering though...who counts the grains of rice?? :shock:  Or even if they did it by the kilo/pound who has counted how many grains of rice make up that weight??  Wouldn't want that job...rice grain counter...

I too hope it's true...

Good fun though!! Nice link... :smth023
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

ROGUE

Quote from: melly on December 10, 2007, 10:07:14
I have made a contribution also.... just wondering though...who counts the grains of rice?? :shock:  Or even if they did it by the kilo/pound who has counted how many grains of rice make up that weight??  Wouldn't want that job...rice grain counter...

Great question Melly, i was wondering too, and also they obviously have a surplus, why hold out on the hungry ones  :smth017  give them the food already, counting grains of rice, all a bit silly really.

But i like that it makes us all think about it- maybe thats the point.

If the warnings of global warming are correct, there will be very few of us left to eat.  Very soon.  Sad.  :cry:

robiola

Quote from: ROGUE on December 10, 2007, 12:48:21
they obviously have a surplus, why hold out on the hungry ones  :smth017  give them the food already, counting grains of rice, all a bit silly really.

They figured people would think that, and they addressed it in the FAQ section of the site. The companies that advertise on the site (at the bottom of the screen, every time the word changes there's a message from a different sponsor) pay the good people that run this Freerice program (according to how many times their advertisement has been seen, I imagine) and with that money they buy the rice. It made a little more sense after I read that, because I too was a bit confused. :D

ROGUE

Thanks so much  Robiola ~ I will have a read too.  :smth023 

silversand

Thanks so much robiola :)
I was wondering too, who count the grains for rice.
Now i know how it works :)
Hope many people will take part to help the hungry people :)

ROGUE

I like this game, is very addictive, re: rice   :smth023

:lol:

CureCrusader

thanks scatcat :rocker

every grain of rice counts. Considering how much food is wasted in the western world, and what we take for granted... I applaud this!  :smth023
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?