Is Europe a country?

Started by dsanchez, February 07, 2008, 16:49:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on February 07, 2008, 19:36:30
Quote from: CureCrusader on February 07, 2008, 17:14:45

Hey iwannashgasimon.. for some reason.. I never think of u as blonde.. ( always as a female copy of simon  :shock:)

A female copy of Simon??  You think I'm a drunk bassist who supports a lackluster football team?? 

:lol: ;)

:shock: :shock: :smth042 :smth042

Coffee/ keyboard
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

silversand

It's funny  :smth043
She is really dumb.
The girl had luck, because the boy knew that Budapest is the capital of Hungary.

I know this format, we have it on tv in Germany.

j

Honestly, before our glorious leader G. W. Bush  :smth097 :smth096 required that US citizens would need a passport to travel to and from Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, etc, I would say that less than 50% of Americans had passports, nor did they have the desire to travel outside of the US. 

A prime example...I am from Philly.  The big vacation for alot of people from my area is a week at the Jersey (New Jersey) shore, or a week in the Poconos.  Neither one is intriguing to me.  I'd much rather go somewhere I have never been (outside of the US).  That is part of the American arrogance...never experiencing other cultures and believing that we are the center of the universe.

Of course, depending on her age, this girl could very well be a product of Bush's wonderful educational initiative "No Child Left Behind".  For those that are unaware of this fantastically intelligent plan, children are tested each year via a standardized test.  based on the results of these tests, schools receive governmental funding in proportion to the test scores.  the better the scores, the more funding a public school gets.

However, what is happening is that teachers are required to "teach to the test" and teach the kids only what is on the test.  My oldest son has been taught to do multiple choice math.  In other words, he is given a problem and 4 answers.  His teachers have taught him to plug in the answers into the problem to determine what is the right answer, rather than teaching him how to actually solve the problem.  Is that teaching kids anything?  I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a store and paid for a purchase, and the person behind the counter cannot calculate what change I am due without looking at the cash register.  Better yet...really confuse them and for an $11.49 purchase, give them a twenty, a dollar, and 2 quarters ($21.50) so that you get a ten dollar bill back.  I love the dumbfounded look!

I saw somewhere on tv or something where someone didn't know that there are 52 weeks in a year.  I was appalled that this person did not have this general knowledge.  I asked both of my sons (aged 14 and 12)....and much to my dismay, neither one knew the answer.  How can you not know that?  I am just wondering if this is the same reason Ms. Ditz didn't know that Europe wasn't a country.  The US is in serious trouble, all because of this.  It is insane that one person can ruin a country.

sues777

Oh dear god....I find that so sad it's not funny  :shock:
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

scatcat

Quote from: sues777 on February 08, 2008, 12:29:04
Oh dear god....I find that so sad it's not funny  :shock:

:smth043 :smth044 :smth045 :smth046

giv id a couple of days!!!  it will haunt you!!  :evil:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: j on February 08, 2008, 01:56:36
Honestly, before our glorious leader G. W. Bush  :smth097 :smth096 required that US citizens would need a passport to travel to and from Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, etc, I would say that less than 50% of Americans had passports, nor did they have the desire to travel outside of the US. 

I never had a passport and I still don't.  But I do have a desire to travel outside the country.  I just can't afford to.  :cry:

frog_s

Going on about some US citizens that experience the US being the centre of the world, in some time they'll get by when we all (including in Europe) need to learn how to speak and write (traditional?) Chinese anyways. Everything comes in waves.