Robert talks about England and being a celebrity

Started by dsanchez, April 07, 2008, 13:20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Poe published in another topic a link to an interview Robert gave during the mexican shows last year.
This interview is really interesting and I think deserves a topic alone.

There he talks about England (and probably after listening this I understand why he does not play many cities there anymore) and how much he hates everything involved with being a celebraty (including giving that interview!)

The interview has spanish subtitles. Really worth to watch it.

Interview with Robert Smith - Telehit 2007 (Part 3)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDHx5EwGuQ&feature=related
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Poe

Yep, it's a good interview, all of it, a rare gem; I mean, there's no dimwitted interviewer, no drunk Robert...it deserves much more than a few measly views and ratings!

The interview in its entirety is divided into 6 short :!: segments. If it's alright, I'd like to add a little info here about the content of the other segments as well (other than the third one already mentioned, that is), if anyone has anything interesting to say about them too:

SPOILERS!!!

Part 1:
Robert talks about "the new album" (there's a picture of the The Cure album in the beginning, but that can't be the one...), a "weird mix" of songs with at least one song that "sounds like the old Cure", and he also has a little drinkie (nothing stronger than water I'm sure).

Part 2:
A jump back to the early years (77-78), the punk movement's impact (and the evil media), and Robert's expectations about new movements and new musical shifts brought on by social change.

Part 4:
Apart from traveling and interviewing being minor downsides, Robert talks about how he wouldn't want to do anything else than be in The Cure, but that nowadays there's also a need to take time off and "engage in other areas in life."

Part 5:
About how he may not have "learned as much as he should" from being in The Cure, other than that there will be no use in staying when there's no will. Also, some talk about how members have come and gone in order to maintain a "drive to constantly improve", and how more or less chronic dissatisfaction is what spurs Robert on.

Part 6:
Basically about Robert being the driving force of The Cure: how his instincts and visions (which never included fame) have pretty much lead the way, and how the other bandmembers usually trust his judgment (for better or worse). Also, how getting the Cure people of the world together is one of the top things that makes all the work worthwhile. Aaww...  :smth049

The whole interview is wrapped up by Robert getting a pressie for the trouble... ;)
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

rubcure

The 6 links to this interview was published here:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,4476.msg40060.html#msg40060

2 months ago but I think nobody read it  :(
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

scatcat

the interview is great!  thanks for the links..  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

feebee42

Thanks for the links - this was a really interesting interview.  :)
Although Robert is very shy, he always comes across as articulate and intelligent.
There is no end to the stars and the wind.
There is only you yourself,
who aren't who you think you are.

melly

Adelaide, in South Australia, is a fairly quiet city, compared to, say Sydney. The Adelaide entertainment Centre, where they played, wasn't totally sold out, but a good crowd nonetheless. I asked Robert what was it like to have people screaming at him whilst he's on stage. He said that when they play places like Adelaide, and the crowd can be a little subdued, that once the fans really get into it, react and really enjoy the music, he feels they have truly earnt their money. Sure, we all yelled and clapped when they came on stage, but it took a little while for people to really get into it. He felt a sense of achievement when the people showed their enthusiasm and started moving to the music. So, even after all these years, he doesn't take his fans for granted. They are the ones who keep the Cure touring.
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

punx_chix

everything is rubbish! hehe.. great interview thanks for the link.

I have already made a load of people watch... :D
...and i run around hysterical
in dead persistent gloom...