Robert Smith's Greatest Hits

Started by Poe, April 28, 2008, 12:38:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Poe

In an interview from 2001 (link below), Robert talks about how he pretty much compiled the Greatest Hits album after what he thought the record company would deem an appropriate selection of songs, i.e. commercially successful singles. He himself said he would probably have picked "obscure, long 9 minute songs" if he could have gone for what he thought were the greatest hits of The Cure, and it got me wondering what collection he, in that case, would have ended up with. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CsFWoA53QE

I know some of his favorites, that could fit for this "real" Greatest Hits compilation, are:

Faith
A Forest
Just Like Heaven
Boys Don't Cry
Out of This World (He says in the Join The Dots booklet that it's probably one of the best songs he's ever written)

And I know he likes End, but would it make the cut?

Then I think he could add Disintegration, A Night Like This, One Hundred Years, In Between Days, Jumping Someone Else's Train, Charlotte Sometimes, perhaps To Wish Impossible Things or A Letter To Elise, or From The Edge of the Deep Green Sea... :smth100

Some b-sides would probably fit in as well.
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

frog_s

Actually, the greatest hits cd was the first cd I ever heared of the Cure and when I heared the other albums, especially disintegration I always wondered why Pictures Of You wasn't there... Maybe this one would fit into the 'alternative' greatest hits a bit bettre

I also think some more songs of the seventeen seconds era and the Kiss me period.

Hero

In Cure News 1 (I think!) Robert list his favourite cure songs as: Faith, Sinking, Accuracy, A Forest, Charlotte Sometimes, The Figurehead, Shake Dog Shake, Inbetween Day & If Only Tonight We Could Sleep...

But this was in 1987 so its only up to the Kiss Me stuff. I think i remember he said he really likes The Same Deep Water As You but i can't remember where...

Poe

@frog_s: Yes, "Pictures of You" would definitely be there. I used to favor the remix over the original, but the long intro and simpler arrangement in the latter has really grown on me. If you'd pick something from "Seventeen Seconds", I guess it'd be "M", or "Play For Today". Too obvious...? From "KMKMKM", probably "The Kiss" over "If Only Tonight...", if you had to chose between them, even if Robert really likes that song, as Hero says.

@Hero: I didn't know Robert liked those songs, thanks. I read about some of his favorite songs here:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press/I30.html
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

lordsquidy13

I would love End to be on it. They should put PLainsong and a live version of FTEOTDGS on it, since they always do great on it every time. Disintegration is goodtoo. And of course A Forest would be on it.