Author Topic: Interview, French TV, 1982?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
Interview, French TV, 1982?
« on: December 25, 2008, 18:46:05 »
I've been looking for an interview with Robert that I think he did with French TV in 1982. It's the one where he is confronted with a statement he'd made about hanging himself if The Cure was a French band (oops). I've just heard it was a funny interview, if anyone has it, let me know.
Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...

Offline cure4sale

• Beginner
Re: Interview, French TV, 1982?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 00:35:33 »
The interview is from 1985. It was shown on Canal plus channel. The show was called 4C+. Got it somewhere on VHS. I remember watching it when it was shown... a long time ago.

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
cure4sale is right, it is mentioned in this tv show: http://www.impressionofsounds.com/1985-TV13.html

but actually, it was the tv show hostess who told robert that she had read this in an interview in Face magazine (so it had been originally printed first - i should have the mag somewhere, need to check what the exact words there were).
anyway, robert then says "did i say that? it's a lie" and then invents an explanation how the english expression "hanging" means more like "touching yourself lovingly: "i'm going to go to my bedroom and hang myself.".
:-P

i have this on dvd and i uploaded the short clip from this section of the program here: 
the complete tv show would be about 15 minutes.

by the way this tv show is also famous for simon's unforgettable choice of socks.

hope this helps (and sorry for a late response Poe).

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
hope this helps (and sorry for a late response Poe).

No problem at all! Thanks for the info, picture and clip, Rob saved his face quite well (or rather not...). I had only read a little about the interview at another forum, and the only year mentioned when it might have been broadcast was 1982. Seems like fun, snazzy socks and everything...

By the way, "just as I'm breaking free, she hangs herself in front of me..." Smutt.  :lol:

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
you're welcome. & i'll look up that Face magazine interview sometime.

By the way, "just as I'm breaking free, she hangs herself in front of me..." Smutt.  :lol:

LOL you just gave that sentence a thoroughly new meaning, 'from the edge...' will never be the same again...  :lol:

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
an interview in Face magazine

'Hair'em Scare'em - Is There a Cure for Robert Smith?'
('Face' magazine, No. 66 (October 1985)

it's a lenghty interview by Fiona Russell Powell.
the portion that includes the "french comment":

'Robert's root are buried deep in the early days of Punk. He's neither forgotten those days, nor has he turned his back on them. "All punks were dedicated artists," he declares. The rebel spirit has remained inside him and even escapes sometimes. Brushes with the Continental forces of law and order have not been infrequent: Robert has been arrested in Germany for pissing againts the side of a Mexican bar, apprehended for vagrancy in Paris, and clapped behind bars for a few hours after being picked up on a beach in Rotterdam for indecently exposing himself at six in the morning.
The Cure tour almost constantly and have a large following in some rather obscure places. They see themselves as an international band who make "international music". Robert seems to be rather embarrassed about that slightly pompous statement but insists strongly:
"I'd hate to be considered as a British band, it's the worst thing in the world. I hate the idea of being nationalistic, it's just garbage. Same as if i was American, I wouldn't be proud of that either, and if I was French, I'd hang myself. I hate religion and I hate nationalism. They are both so redundant. I can't see any reason why there should be such thing as countries."'

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
LOL you just gave that sentence a thoroughly new meaning, 'from the edge...' will never be the same again...  :lol:

But it must have always had that meaning, always! Our innocent ears! :oops:

Brushes with the Continental forces of law and order have not been infrequent: Robert has been arrested in Germany for pissing againts the side of a Mexican bar, apprehended for vagrancy in Paris, and clapped behind bars for a few hours after being picked up on a beach in Rotterdam for indecently exposing himself at six in the morning.

Vagrancy? The old drunkard. Thanks for that excerpt. I had the impression he had always been quite fond of the French...maybe it was just Albert Camus, and the wine. :roll:

Offline cure4sale

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:36:00 »
hello up there...

stop being groupies...

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
how about just have a wee bit sense of humor? so far i don't see anyone posting her (or his :shock:) knickers here or anything (and luckily so). 

on-topic.

I had the impression he had always been quite fond of the French...maybe it was just Albert Camus, and the wine. :roll:

considering the ridiculous amount of live shows they've played in france over the years, yeah he must (have) be(en?). i mean seriously, no offense but it's ludicrous how many gigs the french have gotten compared to the rest of the europe/world. :roll
but luckily robert has come to his senses about this on recent tour(s). :-D (and from now on he just needs to be reminded that there are much more interesting places than that and things will go just ok. ;))

by the way i faintly recall another mag interview (from '95 or '96 i think) where robert said something like whenever he's abroad he tries to adapt to the culture/surroundings, he said "in france he starts drinking pernod, not because he wanted to but just because he's in france".
fot the life of me i can't now recall what magazine that was.

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
stop being groupies...

Oh, have I been sleeping with any bands lately? I haven't noticed...

considering the ridiculous amount of live shows they've played in france over the years, yeah he must (have) be(en?). i mean seriously, no offense but it's ludicrous how many gigs the french have gotten compared to the rest of the europe/world. :roll

Exactly! They've been a bit spoiled over there for sure, but at the same time, wasn't France one of the first countries to show some real interest in The Cure? I don't recall the band making as many appearances on other foreign TV shows, and French crowds appear to be very responsive, in general. Anyhow, I looked around for that interview with the pernod, but couldn't find it (you can do google searches within particular sites, but that didn't bring me to any interviews. Perhaps it wasn't pernod?). If that's Robert's approach, you'd think they should be doing most of their shows in Finland... :P Aaw, that was a cheap one.  :lol:

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
Re: Interview, French TV, 1982? [=1985-12-04 C4+ interview, french tv]
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:32:19 »
Exactly! They've been a bit spoiled over there for sure, but at the same time, wasn't France one of the first countries to show some real interest in The Cure? I don't recall the band making as many appearances on other foreign TV shows, and French crowds appear to be very responsive, in general.

yes i guess you can say that's true. still, it took a long time to get a bit more balanced. 

Anyhow, I looked around for that interview with the pernod, but couldn't find it (you can do google searches within particular sites, but that didn't bring me to any interviews. Perhaps it wasn't pernod?).

no, i'm really quite sure it was pernod.  i never read it online anywhere, it's in one of the old mags/clippings that i have.

If that's Robert's approach, you'd think they should be doing most of their shows in Finland... :P Aaw, that was a cheap one.  :lol:

:-P

(this reminds me of a german interview (from 2004 or something) where he babbled something about how he once met a girl in finland who's father was a shaman and who had threatened to curse him... and then he added "aargh, never talk to the journalist when you're drunk!". or was that robert or simon who told that? i can't remember.
anyway. :-D maybe that explains why they are not too keen on returning here again, so it has seemed...)

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 20:31:43 »
no, i'm really quite sure it was pernod.  i never read it online anywhere, it's in one of the old mags/clippings that i have.

Perhaps it isn't available online then, and you're keeping it all to yourself...hmm.

(this reminds me of a german interview (from 2004 or something) where he babbled something about how he once met a girl in finland who's father was a shaman and who had threatened to curse him... and then he added "aargh, never talk to the journalist when you're drunk!". or was that robert or simon who told that? i can't remember.
anyway. :-D maybe that explains why they are not too keen on returning here again, so it has seemed...)

Yeah I read that one too, it was Simon who blathered about shamans, hehe (July 2003 - Music Express). I read somewhere else (an article in a Swedish online magazine unrelated to The Cure) that Robert was almost attacked during a festival gig in Finland (a festival they almost weren't let into because they couldn't prove they were going to play); some guy got up on stage with an iron bar and almost knocked Robert out with it before a security guard got him. Sounded like a close call. The guy who wrote the article said it happened sometime before they released The Head on the Door. Well, I guess Robert decided to take some time off in France after that...  ;) I also guess we've veered off topic now, hrm...

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 21:07:50 »
Perhaps it isn't available online then, and you're keeping it all to yourself...hmm.

no, i just simply can't find it right now - there's a lot of interviews from '96 to go through...

Yeah I read that one too, it was Simon who blathered about shamans, hehe (July 2003 - Music Express).

yeah, that's the one.

I read somewhere else (an article in a Swedish online magazine unrelated to The Cure) that Robert was almost attacked during a festival gig in Finland (a festival they almost weren't let into because they couldn't prove they were going to play); some guy got up on stage with an iron bar and almost knocked Robert out with it before a security guard got him. Sounded like a close call. The guy who wrote the article said it happened sometime before they released The Head on the Door. Well, I guess Robert decided to take some time off in France after that...  ;) I also guess we've veered off topic now, hrm...

yeah it's a bit off-topic but since it's an interesting spin-off...
do you happen to remember where that was printed? i have a faint memory of hearing that story before but i've always doubted it's accuracy. or at least i think it might have happened some place else (perhaps robert got confused about which country he was currently in? ;)). perhaps you can call me biased now, but i know some people who went to this show (it was in august 1985) and they've never confirmed anything like this happening there. so at least it didn't happen on stage, during the show. i think people would remember such a thing. they were also admitted backstage too by the way and never told about any such disturbances there either. hmm..

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 22:13:25 »
no, i just simply can't find it right now - there's a lot of interviews from '96 to go through...

Yes I figured as such, I believe you!  ;)

yeah it's a bit off-topic but since it's an interesting spin-off...
do you happen to remember where that was printed? i have a faint memory of hearing that story before but i've always doubted it's accuracy. or at least i think it might have happened some place else (perhaps robert got confused about which country he was currently in? ;)). perhaps you can call me biased now, but i know some people who went to this show (it was in august 1985) and they've never confirmed anything like this happening there. so at least it didn't happen on stage, during the show. i think people would remember such a thing. they were also admitted backstage too by the way and never told about any such disturbances there either. hmm..

Well, I did find the Swedish article I read. The author was at the concert as well, august 85. He mentions that Robert had said later that year, in the autumn, that it was one of the worst gigs he had ever played, but I don't know if he mentioned any attack. There's no link to any interview or anything. Perhaps the author of that article got something mixed up...I don't know if he actually saw the guy with the iron bar himself, or if he just describes the incident from a rumour he had heard after the gig, taking it as fact.

Offline Poe

• Birdmad Girl
  • Coolfan
  • Aka Smithereens.
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 17:14:47 »
There's a tiny bit written about the festival at impressionofsounds.com, no near attack mentioned there:

AUGUST 03rd, 1985
Turku, Ruisrock Festival
First coming to Finland and last concert of the summer. Not the easiest one : rain, tight security refusing the band's admission on the site... The soundcheck took place on the previous day and included a short version of The Exploding Boy ! Too bad they never tried it during the shows...
http://www.impressionofsounds.com/1985.html

Basically all I found.  :roll: