Author Topic: Interview, French TV, 1982?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
Re: Interview, French TV, 1982?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 20:48:10 »
i don't know but perhaps robert was confusing gigs there (if he told that story somewhere) - or, simply making things up(?). i mean, he used to do that a lot around that time... always inventing things on interviews and so on.
anyway, i've never heard about this confirmed from anyone who went to that show. on the contrary, i've heard that the atmosphere was ok. ruisrock was a pretty small festival by that time and fans were allowed backstage too, to meet the band (something that would never ever happen today). besides if something extraordinary happened during the show then one would spot this on the recording from this gig, and there's nothing like that to be heard.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Offline Descent

• Newfan
    • http://www.impressionofsounds.com
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 10:28:44 »
There's a tiny bit written about the festival at impressionofsounds.com, no near attack mentioned there:

AUGUST 03rd, 1985
Turku, Ruisrock Festival
First coming to Finland and last concert of the summer. Not the easiest one : rain, tight security refusing the band's admission on the site... The soundcheck took place on the previous day and included a short version of The Exploding Boy ! Too bad they never tried it during the shows...
http://www.impressionofsounds.com/1985.html

Basically all I found.  :roll:

Well, I never heard about that attempt of attack story. I can't read Swedish, and that anecdote didn't make it elsewhere apparently (could it be really true anyway ?). The Cure's official newsletter (Adventures and Plans) written by Robert just mentionned problems for entering the site and the rain. As far as the show itself, it was fine and people who attended it never mentionned anything like this as jb said. Apart from Chris Parry's death threat to the tapers. :-D

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
I read somewhere else (an article in a Swedish online magazine unrelated to The Cure) that Robert was almost attacked during a festival gig in Finland (a festival they almost weren't let into because they couldn't prove they were going to play); some guy got up on stage with an iron bar and almost knocked Robert out with it before a security guard got him

by the way, i wonder what someone from the swedish audience was after with this deed?
20 years ago, in stockholm, sweden:

02nd
Stockholm, Isstadion
Shoes were thrown on stage which made Robert to comment "first shoes of the tour".

http://www.impressionofsounds.com/prayer1.html

hey hopefully it's not such a vile thing to do in sweden as it is in iraq: the bush shoe attack.
:lol: ;)

Offline fiction

• Small Wonder
  • Curefan
an interview in Face magazine

'Hair'em Scare'em - Is There a Cure for Robert Smith?'
('Face' magazine, No. 66 (October 1985)

it's a lenghty interview by Fiona Russell Powell.
the portion that includes the "french comment":

If I don´t remember wrong this interview starts with the author proclaiming "I rather wring his f****** neck" cause she´s rather annoyed with Mr Smiths behaviour.
again and again and again and again and again and...

Offline Descent

• Newfan
    • http://www.impressionofsounds.com
by the way, i wonder what someone from the swedish audience was after with this deed?
20 years ago, in stockholm, sweden:

02nd
Stockholm, Isstadion
Shoes were thrown on stage which made Robert to comment "first shoes of the tour".

hey hopefully it's not such a vile thing to do in sweden as it is in iraq: the bush shoe attack.
:lol: ;)

Haha. I remember in 1987 a lot of people would throw stuffed toys on stage. So many each night... They could have opened a toy store by the end of that tour. :-D I read in curenews (I think) that Robert gave them to organisations taking care of children afterwards. :D

Offline japanesebaby

• Curefan Master
If I don´t remember wrong this interview starts with the author proclaiming "I rather wring his f****** neck" cause she´s rather annoyed with Mr Smiths behaviour.

yes that's right. it starts off with two quotes:

"we can't make it. we are ready to die when we are born. we are the patsies. and i hate the intellectual freak who realises all this and condescends to it and akes himself seemingly superior because he feels he just doesn't belong and therefore is." (charles bukowski)

"i look inside myself and see my heart is black." (jagger/richards)

and then:

he starts off by picking half a lemon (his favorite fruit) out of the fridge and **** on it and this slurping is driving me up the wall because i'm speeding but i can't say anything because he's a popstar with a capital P like the Pope, so i smile politely whereas i'd rather wring his f****** neck. what's worse is that this intellectual slob knows that i know he knows because nothing passes unseen before the candid blue gaze buried in a pudding face.

Offline Strange Attraction

• Newfan
  • Can I use some of your lipstick?
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 14:23:26 »
Did you ever find the video? I have it and I think its on youtube. :)
Can I use some of your lipstick?