They're on Jonathan Ross TONIGHT

Started by Dillinger, February 20, 2009, 18:48:31

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Dillinger on March 08, 2009, 04:07:37
I don't think in 2009 people can seriously say The Cure are bigger than Morrissey, and his recent output has certainly garnered more acclaim than The Cure's.

hmm i never rate artists by only taking their latest album(s) (if that's what you mean by referring to "more public acclaim").
i do agree that 4:13 is far from the best works of the band, but if we put the entire back catalogue of morrissey and the cure side by side, then the cure is clearly a still lot more diversified and musically capable, and the variety of their input alone makes them a lot more influential than morrissey - IF we look at the musical output alone. so whether or not the cure's latest album is not quite there with their best work means nothing to me in this respect. 

plus, in general i never care what the critics say/how much public acclaim someone gets (because take that as your guideline and britney is awesome too). that was never a guideline to me, to rate artists or to decide whether or not i buy their albums or not. imo, it's partially the size of morrissey's ego, not just his music, that has kept his name in people's lips. especially the press seems to love that kind of figures. not that he made complete crap music, i don't mean that. mostly i don't like his work but i admit it's not the crappiest stuff around either, i'm not so dumb that i wouldn't hear that. i just mean that (purely musically speaking) it's not that good either.
if he (morrissey) wasn't such a ego-ish, pompous, self-loving personality (which the UK press seems to love - compared how they've treated people like robert smith), i bet he would get a lot less public acclaim/less fuss - which again shows how much public acclaim really means...

i genuinely think some smiths songs are great, but actually i've always felt that none of their albums is a really good and solid album either - as an album. some great tunes there but even their greatest hits/best of collection come with obvious filler tracks(!). so imo they were definitely a singles band, like DM. whereas the cure made both great singles AND great albums.
no way morrissey's bigger than the cure, all things are considered. but just my opinion. :)

with that said, back on topic:
is there any high quality source for this tv performance available? i just don't like youtube, when it comes to stuff like this.
thanks in advance. 
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine