Muse - The Resistance Tour

Started by crowbi_wan, June 02, 2009, 04:56:22

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 19, 2009, 20:58:14
Quote from: japanesebaby on July 19, 2009, 20:43:56
yeah but i wouldn't want to see muse turning into a queen covers band, really. they have a genuine style of their own so they wouldn't need to copy anyone that much.

Copy, no.  Borrow, pay tribute to, show their appreciation for?  Nothing wrong there.  Just listen to some of the riffs they play between songs.  It's quite obvious who they're influenced by and enjoy letting us know it. 

Remember, that new Queen-sounding song is just a demo.

btw, weren't you telling me you didn't see any similarities between Muse and Queen some time ago?  ;) 

but i don't think it ever was quite that obvious in their old stuff, they never borrowed some elements THAT directly. if there is/was some queen influence in their old stuff, it was there more like an atmospheric thing, something in the general feeling and the arrangement of things. they weren't borrowing details - like now.

i really don't like too much what i'm hearing now. :/ i really hope this is only something found on these demos and didn't get on the album. i hope...

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 19, 2009, 21:02:06
Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 19, 2009, 20:58:14
Quote from: japanesebaby on July 19, 2009, 20:43:56
yeah but i wouldn't want to see muse turning into a queen covers band, really. they have a genuine style of their own so they wouldn't need to copy anyone that much.

Copy, no.  Borrow, pay tribute to, show their appreciation for?  Nothing wrong there.  Just listen to some of the riffs they play between songs.  It's quite obvious who they're influenced by and enjoy letting us know it. 

Remember, that new Queen-sounding song is just a demo.

btw, weren't you telling me you didn't see any similarities between Muse and Queen some time ago?  ;) 

but i don't think it ever was quite that obvious in their old stuff, they never borrowed some elements THAT directly. if there is/was some queen influence in their old stuff, it was there more like an atmospheric thing, something in the general feeling and the arrangement of things. they weren't borrowing details - like now.

i really don't like too much what i'm hearing now. :/ i really hope this is only something found on these demos and didn't get on the album. i hope...

Well, perhaps another song will be to your liking. 

Uprising, the first single to be taken from Muse's new album 'The Resistance' is getting its first full play on Zane Lowe's show on BBC Radio 1 on Monday evening at 19:30. Come back to muse.mu on Monday for more details of international radio stations that will be playing the track on Monday and Tuesday.

To listen to Zane Lowe's show online, click on the link below.

Zane Lowe Show

japanesebaby

i just find it very odd how they can't sell out hovet, stockholm. not even that big a venue. i heard there're some radio contests on some stations in sweden where they are giving out tickets because of this. by comparison, i remember it was a bit funny how in their last tour everyone went on on muse.mu how they wanted to go to the sweden show, how it was a must. people somehow believed it was going to be something special (because of the song 'stockholm syndrome').  i don't know where that rumour came from, but it turned out to be just a regular show.

crowbi_wan

A few more dates have been announced.

2009-11-12 London - Royal Albert Hall  'BBC Children in Need Concert'

2009-12-12 Las Vegas - The Joint  'KXTE Holiday Havoc'  :rocker  8)  :smth023

I could see Muse adding a few more of these holiday radio festivals in the US.  Fingers will be crossed for KNDD's Deck the Hall Ball in Seattle.

japanesebaby

Awesome stage design on this tour!

:smth026

but why on earth didn't they play MK Ultra??? the best song on the new album...

a nice surprise was that they played Cave, that was pretty great to hear!

crowbi_wan

Nice pics, jb.  :smth023

I was following the set as it happened on the official site.  Cave was a nice surprise indeed.  Well, maybe not necessarily a surprise since it had been played at some of the promo gigs earlier this year.  But nice to see it still being played as part of the actual tour.  :smth023  I'm seeing Unintended on the set as well.  Back-to-back tracks off Showbiz.  How interesting.  The big mystery is that they didn't play MK Ultra.  Lots of complaining about it exclusion from the set.  Hopefully it's one they rotate in soon.  I'd still like to see a bit longer main set or a second encore.  Muse is big enough and has a large enough catalog to warrant such.  I know they'll do the occasional double encore.  It should be a standard, though. 

btw, I heard some talk about no piano intro, or at least Matt not playing piano for New Born.  Really?  :?  Any other new and/or interesting arrangements?         

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 23, 2009, 02:53:36
Nice pics, jb.  :smth023

I was following the set as it happened on the official site.  Cave was a nice surprise indeed.  Well, maybe not necessarily a surprise since it had been played at some of the promo gigs earlier this year.  But nice to see it still being played as part of the actual tour.  :smth023  I'm seeing Unintended on the set as well.  Back-to-back tracks off Showbiz.  How interesting.  The big mystery is that they didn't play MK Ultra.  Lots of complaining about it exclusion from the set.  Hopefully it's one they rotate in soon.  I'd still like to see a bit longer main set or a second encore.  Muse is big enough and has a large enough catalog to warrant such.  I know they'll do the occasional double encore.  It should be a standard, though.  

btw, I heard some talk about no piano intro, or at least Matt not playing piano for New Born.  Really?  :?  Any other new and/or interesting arrangements?        

he didn't play piano for new born. he was still up there on top of that "column" during the beginning of the song (it's a screenshot from a video so i know for sure):

nice green lasers there by the way, it looked brilliant.

sure, they should play a bit longer set. i've been asking that for years so i guess i'm sort of used to them never delivering that...

more later, in a hurry here now.

crowbi_wan

Strange for New Born.  I guess I'll have to hear it.  Anyway...

About the set length, I guess one has to see them in the UK or Paris to get a 20 song set.  And really, I shouldn't complain.  The shows I've seen have all been great.  I was just hoping this time around it might be a bit different because their song selection is that much greater.  At least they mix it up a bit and don't pump out the same boring set night after night (knock on wood).  And this is why we go to multiple shows.  :-D 

japanesebaby

a couple of video clips from Helsinki:

the opening of the show & unveiling the new stage design -Uprising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCjOvtfgzSw&fmt=22

a clip from New born: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16Bp4zjdHY&fmt=22

HD source. the contrast goes a bit goofy at times under concert lights, eed to learn if there's something that could be done to that.

japanesebaby

Stockholm, Hovet 2009-10-24:

no change in the set list but knowing how they always do, i would have been surprised if there had been any between the first two shows.

really good floor crowds in stockholm. unfortunately Hovet is a lot smaller venue so the stage design had to be reduced, visually the show suffered quite a bit from this.
the band is in good form, really a pleasure to see them (then again it always was ;).

crowbi_wan

Nice shots.  Decided to hang back a bit huh?  So, Exo did start off the show?  There was some confusion with the Tweets many of us were following.

Oh, I heard some woman fainted just as Muse went on.  Crazy!

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 26, 2009, 12:17:38
So, Exo did start off the show?  There was some confusion with the Tweets many of us were following.

yes, the set list in a pic above was the one they played.

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 26, 2009, 12:17:38Oh, I heard some woman fainted just as Muse went on.  Crazy!

maybe she fainted because of matt's super-fab costume 8):smth023:

for larger images view:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36543214@N07/4048982343/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36543214@N07/4048982341/sizes/o/in/photostream/

i'm glad he's back on more or less weird/goofy clothes, like that granny coat on q awards haha.
normally i don't care what people wear on stage, just as long they wear something decent enough and focus on playing well. but here for me it's part of the mood, a little bit of extra flamboyance. 

japanesebaby

stockholm syndrome (HD) from helsinki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVf17gnEZ8&feature=email

for me this is one of the best live songs ever (actually i can never decide which one is the best, this one or 'the kiss' by some other band ;)).
hearing this song live always sends shivers down my spine, it's such an immense wall of sound.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 28, 2009, 21:01:52
stockholm syndrome (HD) from helsinki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVf17gnEZ8&feature=email

Nice quality.  The new cam does a good job.  :smth023  That stereo mic lacks low end, but at least it's clear and there no distortion.  :smth020

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 28, 2009, 21:01:52

for me this is one of the best live songs ever (actually i can never decide which one is the best, this one or 'the kiss' by some other band ;)).
hearing this song live always sends shivers down my spine, it's such an immense wall of sound.

I could say the same about New Born.  Something about hearing it live just leaves me simply awestruck.  I remastered my Seattle '07 master over the weekend and kept listing to New Born over and over and over again.  Matt's solo, with the channel swapping, and then the jam at the end are f'ing SWEET!  :rocker  Of course Stockholm Syndrome is one I couldn't imagine not hearing at the tail end of a Muse gig.  I can do without rarities like Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts, Dead Star, and a few others, but SS and New Born are musts.  I am slightly disappointed that Bliss has been left off the sets...so far.  That's another staple for me if seeing multiple gigs, though I know it's one they don't always play.       

crowbi_wan

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 17, 2009, 06:38:41
A few more dates have been announced.

2009-11-12 London - Royal Albert Hall  'BBC Children in Need Concert'

2009-12-12 Las Vegas - The Joint  'KXTE Holiday Havoc'  :rocker  8)  :smth023

I could see Muse adding a few more of these holiday radio festivals in the US.  Fingers will be crossed for KNDD's Deck the Hall Ball in Seattle.

According to someone on the .mu site, Muse will be playing a radio station Christmas concert!   :rocker  I like the sound of that!  It seems a local promoter spoke at his management class and mentioned it.  When the Las Vegas show was announced I immediately thought about Seattle and a few other cities.  Why would they come all the way over here for one gig?  It only makes sense that they play a few shows, and to those markets that didn't get them when they opened for U2.  Now if they can only include Portland.  :-D