Rolling Stone: "The Cure album is a must in 2015"

Started by Ulrich, January 16, 2015, 13:49:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Well, "Rolling Stone" magazine (German edition) seems to think that a new Cure album is a MUST in 2015:

http://www.rollingstone.de/magazin/galerien/article680834/diese-41-alben-muessen-2015-erscheinen.html

(It's an article about which albums they think should/must be released this year. Nice to see Robert in the first pic.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

it seems to me more a wish (correct me if I am wrong, my German is not that good) from the side of the magazine than a "certainty" that the album will be released...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Yes, that's right, which is why I said "albums they think should/must be released".

dsanchez

Maybe is a hint from their side and the album will be indeed released this year? Maybe they know something we don't?

Anyway, as I said somewhere else, if they don't release it this year I don't think they will ever release it.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on January 18, 2015, 11:45:30
Maybe they know something we don't?

I don't think so. Like you said before, it's more of a "whish list" from this magazine.

subarucure

if he/they were SO close to putting out a double cd rather than the single cd back when they released 'dream'..... then how can it be so hard to release 'scream' now?  they music is already there, just compile and put out (i am sure i am over simplifying that).  if there is any band that can tour WITHOUT a new cd release, it is The Cure. nor do they have to tour for a cd either for that matter.  they have had a 4 year release cycle for quite a while now and are over due now by that standard, 'scream would probably satisfy us.  not to mention there is no need to put out a brand new cd with the brand new 'line-up' when there is a cd's worth of material now in limbo between the last official release and the new one Robert is itching to work on. 

to not release 'scream' because Porl was a big part of it and is now not in the band? how does (any)one tour with such a big back catalog and so many line up changes?  Porl had to play (live) songs he didnt write both times he has been in the band i am sure.  if i were Porl and made a cd's worth of music - not having them every see the light of day would be worse than anything.   if not officially put all those unused tracks now..... then when?  just put it out for the sake of putting it out already.  2 versions are all you need, 1 disk of ALL missing tracks from the 'dream era' that were not on 'dream', and a 2-disk of everything re-arranged just how Robert wants it.  maybe a 'trilogy' style blu-ray in lue of a world tour and put the dark album behind you and move on to the new stuff with the new line up (which i am excited about).  it is just 'the dark album' is taking forever to come to pass and was technically finished long ago?!?

i know Robert only wants to do this as long as its still fun and no pressure, and i agree and want that for him.  and i would rather have new material every 7 years than never again. although 10 years in between and one might as well retire.  i mean at what point do you call it 'a come back' or a 'return of' rather than just 'their next release'?

(i am not bitchin' as i love Robert and am at his mercy as no one else is putting anything good out. just frustrated in waiting so long i guess)

Ulrich

Quote from: subarucure on June 23, 2015, 00:15:06
if he/they were SO close to putting out a double cd rather than the single cd back when they released 'dream'..... then how can it be so hard to release 'scream' now?  they music is already there, just compile and put out (i am sure i am over simplifying that). 

Is it there? Has anyone heard it (apart from Robert & band members)? Does it need to be (re-)mastered or newly mixed (production on the released album is not that good to my ears)?  :?
Is Fiction Records really ready to release it or could there be problems with the company who put out "4:13 Dream" (they might think the whole recording session belongs to them)?

Edit: in his press release from spring 2014 RS mentioned:
QuoteAS A CONSEQUENCE A NUMBER OF (MY FAVOURITE!) SLOWER SONGS AND INSTRUMENTAL PIECES WERE LEFT UNFINISHED AND UNRELEASED
Which suggests, the recordings weren't "finished" and possibly it all takes longer to finish as he expected back then...

At this point in time, no one seems to know what exactly the hold-up is with that "dark album", what the plan is for the band, when they will tour again, when they will release anything at all...  :roll:

subarucure

ok, i get that, but that was just a FEW of the songs.... this was the first paragraph if this 'clarifying' blog:
''IN 2007 THE CURE (ME, SIMON, JASON AND PORL THOMPSON) REHEARSED AND RECORDED 33 SONGS WITH THE INTENTION OF CREATING A DOUBLE CD ALBUM CONTAINING APPROXIMATELY 2 HOURS OF MUSIC:''  --  it was the ''REHEARSED AND RECORDED 33 SONGS'' part i was remembering when i made my original post.  i agree that that doesnt out right say they were completed to the point of final production/mixing.  but if he were playing around with the track listing to create a mood or flow in listening to both cds.... one could at least assume they were (practically) 'finished' tracks.  you are right though, as this is a moot point as we have no control over this whole issue. 

he also wrote at the end of the blog ''(below)'' over a year ago and still no cds or even a new update. if he wanted to release the whole shebang in a few months then they MUST be finished.?.? would they not?

AND MY PLAN THIS SUNNY SPRING MONDAY AT THE END OF MARCH IS TO GET TO THE POINT IN THE NEXT MONTH OR THREE WHERE WE CAN RELEASE:

1)
A LTD EDITION '4:26 DREAM' DOUBLE CD ALBUM OF 26 SONGS (ALL REMIXED) - IE. 'THE ORIGINAL 4:13 DREAM SESSIONS CONCEPT ALBUM' (INCLUDING THE 'INSTRUMENTALS WITH WORDS') - OF WHICH 10 TRACKS OR MORE WILL BE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED...

2)
A LTD EDITION '4:14 SCREAM' SINGLE CD ALBUM OF 14 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED SONGS - ALBEIT SOME OF THEM MAY ALSO BE ON '4:26 DREAM'... BUT THESE '4:14 SCREAM' VERSIONS WILL ALL HAVE WORDS AND VOCALS...

Ulrich

Quote from: subarucure on June 23, 2015, 17:57:04
he also wrote at the end of the blog ''(below)'' over a year ago and still no cds or even a new update. if he wanted to release the whole shebang in a few months then they MUST be finished.?.? would they not?

I don't know; if I knew how to get in touch, I would ask Robert... but even if I did, he might still ignore that question.  ;) He's the only one to know for sure. (pun intended...)
I can imagine he's still finishing those tracks, wanting them to be "perfect". On the other hand, I can also imagine him burying the whole project, as it was recorded in 2007 and it's 2015 now and he'd rather record some newer stuff...

"No update" - yeah I'm kinda used to that now.  :roll:

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on June 23, 2015, 18:50:01
Quote from: subarucure on June 23, 2015, 17:57:04

I don't know; if I knew how to get in touch, I would ask Robert... but even if I did, he might still ignore that question.  ;) He's the only one to know for sure. (pun intended...)
I can imagine he's still finishing those tracks, wanting them to be "perfect". On the other hand, I can also imagine him burying the whole project, as it was recorded in 2007 and it's 2015 now and he'd rather record some newer stuff...

"No update" - yeah I'm kinda used to that now.  :roll:
Maybe he's toying with the idea of an exclusive and limited LP edition(?).
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on June 24, 2015, 15:18:00
Maybe he's toying with the idea of an exclusive and limited LP edition(?).

Would be fine for me, I'll be waiting for the update on this...  ;)

jonesthesteam

patiently waiting for the 25th anniversary deluxe re-issue edition..

Ulrich