New Cure Album in 2015 (?)

Started by cheyler, September 13, 2015, 18:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

I have to believe that with the lay-off from the usual summer festivals and the total lack of gigs and news for 2015, I truly believe The Cure have been and are in the studio a good chunk of this year recording a new studio album with the latest line-up.  I'd bet on it.  I'd certainly HOPE for it...

Ulrich

At the start of the year, I would've hoped so. But now, having heard nothing at all from "Cure camp", I wouldn't place bets on it!
Roger was very much busy with his own project(s). Reeves had his solo album out and was (and will be) touring with it.
I felt it was a positive sign that some band members turned up at Roger's concert in London. Thus, there is a possibility that they had done something in a studio (although hardly all together at the same time?)...

But in all honesty, I have my doubts about a release before the end of this year.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

A new Cure album would definitely be pushing the good sense limits of advertising and promotion, what with three months until Christmas.  But those 'good sense' limits may not mean as much to a band such as The Cure, with no record label and a fan base that would go get a new album if it were announced on Christmas Eve.  I can see it go either way.  Am still hoping.  If there were any 'new' tracks, it would be wiser to play them into shape a few times on stage (which RS knows well enough).  Again, both sides.  It wouldn't be the first time a band had just dropped new tunes on an unsuspecting audience before they'd been heard first on the radio and from the stage.  Glad to hear about the band supporting Roger's new effort.  The Cure really haven't TOURED since 2008, I mean a real all- (or most-) encompassing tour.  The guys are after all still reasonably young...since hitting 50 it sure seems a lot younger than it used to!  All the band are obviously clued-in to Robert's intentions for the foreseeable future, so it may be a 'bad omen' that Roger's doing his thing and Reeves put together an album and a tour in support.  I was kind of pissed that the Sex Pistols (back in 2002-3) were playing seemingly random and haphazard tour dates as compared to the remainder(s) of their contemporaries.  A short time later I regained a bit of perspective and decided it was much nicer just having them around and playing the odd gig here and there as opposed to just packing it all in for good.  We may have to adopt the same (or similar) attitude toward The Cure now...?

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on September 15, 2015, 14:33:13
Roger was very much busy with his own project(s). Reeves had his solo album out and was (and will be) touring with it.
In other words:Jason,Robert and Simon must have entered a studio,the 'shattered' line-up
from 2008.I'm curious for the outcome. ;)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on September 16, 2015, 09:55:11In other words:Jason,Robert and Simon must have entered a studio,the 'shattered' line-up from 2008.

You mean 2005 (before Porl re-joined them)?  :?

Well, it is not impossible that Roger found time to record keyboard parts in a studio. It's not impossible that Reeves did record some guitar parts (or will do so before or after his UK tour)!

Quote from: cheyler on September 15, 2015, 20:01:36
I can see it go either way.  Am still hoping.

Well it's still possible, but I think we would see a release date before the end of October (and the rumours should start floating around very soon...)!

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on September 16, 2015, 13:19:37
You mean 2005 (before Porl re-joined them)?
I'm sorry.My fault.I meant 2010 when Porl left the group.

cheyler

Porl announced his leaving in 2010 but the last show he played was the Coachella gig in April 2009; not sure if it was known within the group at the time whether Porl was leaving?  RS said something recently about (paraphrasing) "a lot of stuff happened with the last lineup", would love to know what he meant.  It's unfortunate, that line-up had a LOT of potential; had realized quite a lot of it as a performing unit, they were an incredible live band, right up there with the Disintegration line-up and the Wish line-up.

dsanchez

Quote from: cheyler on November 29, 2015, 11:14:42It's unfortunate, that line-up had a LOT of potential; had realized quite a lot of it as a performing unit, they were an incredible live band, right up there with the Disintegration line-up and the Wish line-up.
I loved that line-up, but I hated how they sounded. The Cure during 2005-2009 was the worst sounding Cure I ever remember. The noise was such that they could have been in a bill with Guns N'Roses and it would have been OK. For instance:

! No longer available

! No longer available

or for instance, check BDC 1992 vs 2008
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on November 29, 2015, 18:36:22loved that line-up, but I hated how they sounded. The Cure during 2005-2009 was the worst sounding Cure I ever remember.

Don't forget to bash the drummer.   ;) :lol:

When I went to that concert in 2008 (Munich), I was quite surprised that they sounded really good, as I wasn't quite sure if some of the songs would be working live without a keyboard on stage! (Of course it was missing e.g. with Lullaby, but it wasn't missing with most others.)

What's all this to do with the new album, btw?  :?

cheyler

MeltingMan mentioned Porl leaving the group and of course I jumped on it;  I remembered reading the recent RS quote about the last line-up so I mentioned it.  It will be interesting hearing Reeves and Roger integrating and re-integrating into The Cure's studio sound.  But Plainsong will never be the same for me after hearing the Porl-dominated keyboard-less versions...

MeltingMan

Quote from: cheyler on December 04, 2015, 16:41:40It will be interesting hearing Reeves and Roger integrating and re-integrating into The Cure's studio sound.  But Plainsong will never be the same for me after hearing the Porl-dominated keyboard-less versions...
Absolutely.If Porl had taken live keyboard duties as well in that period,the sound would
have improved.I think he failed because of his changed attitude or because of a different approach
to The Cure's music.Reeves and Roger together are more than a match for him/her.---

cheyler

I failed to get my meaning across.  The all-guitar versions of Plainsong are my all-time favorites, even more towering than the keys versions.  I'm still disappointed Porl left, I prefer the four-piece Cure to the current Cure, Reeves' guitar sound still isn't working for me although I've always liked Roger and nothing will keep me from going to the Seattle show, other than the absence of a Seattle show!  What's taking so long to announce the show and get the tickets on sale??  It IS the only one where the intention to have a show has been announced but no date yet, where most of the other cities have sold out or have even had one or two additional dates announced and sold out!

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on December 09, 2015, 09:04:53
I'm still disappointed Porl left, I prefer the four-piece Cure to the current Cure

I don't. It was good live, the record lacked something (good producer perhaps?)...
I'm glad Roger is back (he is THE Cure keyboard player) and Reeves seems okay so far.

Thus, I'm very much looking forward to live shows in 2016 and hopefully a new album too!

Quote from: cheyler on December 09, 2015, 09:04:53
...nothing will keep me from going to the Seattle show, other than the absence of a Seattle show!  What's taking so long to announce the show and get the tickets on sale??  It IS the only one where the intention to have a show has been announced but no date yet

I'm sure they do this only to annoy you!  :P
:-D

cheyler

The 2008 album definitely lacked something, good songs for a start.  I liked about half of them, not what I'd call a great Cure album.  It did have a great song, Underneath The Stars, one of the all-timers.  Production was poor too, although I like the production better now.  I'd love to hear some of the 'darker' songs we've heard so much about.  I'm looking forward to the new album though.  Is it possible that there have to be problems within the band for them to produce great Cure songs?  Not sure what to think of a new album, if so.  The band seems so happy...

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on December 09, 2015, 21:02:52
Is it possible that there have to be problems within the band for them to produce great Cure songs?

No, I don't think so. The band/Robert seemed happy when they made "Head On The Door" for example. Which is a great album in my humble opinion.

Quote from: cheyler on December 09, 2015, 21:02:52
Not sure what to think of a new album, if so.  The band seems so happy...

Don't worry, that might change when they go on a long tour together!  :-D