New Cure Album in 2015 (?)

Started by cheyler, September 13, 2015, 18:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on November 29, 2015, 18:36:22The Cure during 2005-2009 was the worst sounding Cure I ever remember.
Well...the temporary absence of at least one keyboard on stage was
one thing,but the 2002 version sounds badly as well,especially Perry. :?
If I had been Robert,I might have refused to sing. :oops:
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

I agree, Head On The Door is a great album.  Sinking is one of my favorite Cure tunes ever and it's kind of a 'downer' tune I guess you could call it.  They did seem happy at the time with Porl sticking around and contributing more and more, Lol being stable (it seems) at the time, Simon returning and Boris showing what he can do.  Even with my limited experience, I know how happy bands can be when they have a drummer everybody's happy with, especially a new one (drummer, not band).  I'm really getting interested in hearing whatever new material they've come up with.  Does anybody know how many line-ups The Cure has had now over the years?  It's got to be a lot; I'd try to figure it out but I'd probably miss out on one or two permutations where there was a drummer that didn't work out or a guitarist that stayed for a day or two.  I was reading an interview with Johnny Rotten and it wasn't until this year (2015) that he finally made two consecutive albums with the same line-up, and this is over the course of his entire career (40 years now).  We were fortunate that The Cure made three consecutive great albums with (essentially) the same line-up, Matthieu Hartley coming and going so quickly for the Faith album.  I can't bring myself to remember what it was like when those albums were new, it's been so long.  Really looking forward to the NEW new album!

Ulrich

We're heading towards Off-Topic now, but it doesn't really matter as there won't be a new Cure album in 2015 anyway...

Quote from: cheyler on December 11, 2015, 07:09:35
Does anybody know how many line-ups The Cure has had now over the years?  It's got to be a lot; I'd try to figure it out but I'd probably miss out on one or two permutations where there was a drummer that didn't work out or a guitarist that stayed for a day or two

Huh? Did the latter ever happen? I can't remember any other guitarists than Robert himself, Porl, Perry and now Reeves. (I didn't count old "Easy Cure" line-ups though.)
As for how many line-ups, that is a good question. We had at least 10 different versions of The Cure I'd say. (Together with studio-only "helpouts", like the session drummer on "Let's go to bed", there could be more.)
Btw, Wikipedia and fan-sites might help if we're too lazy to figure it out ourselves.  ;)

Quote from: cheyler on December 11, 2015, 07:09:35
We were fortunate that The Cure made three consecutive great albums with (essentially) the same line-up, Matthieu Hartley coming and going so quickly for the Faith album.

"17 Seconds" is the one Hartley played on?

Also "Head on the Door" and "Kiss Me..." were made by the same band line-up, plus "Disintegration" too (if we disregard the addition of Roger, while Lol Tolhurst was playing "other instrument"?)...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

You'd think I could spot my own huge mistake, of course it was Seventeen Seconds.  I always think 'Seventeen Seconals', which was Judy Garland's last effort as you know.  Technically we can count Roger as a Cure guitarist since he was playing Porl's part on 'Open' for a little while.  Really brought the song back to life too.  You're probably right about the pop singles being the place where various musicians could have come and gone without leaving much residue.  Now I'm just waiting for two things, the announcement of the Seattle cancellation and the new album!

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on December 12, 2015, 01:06:48I always think 'Seventeen Seconals', which was Judy Garland's last effort as you know. 

No, I didn't, sorry.  :oops:

Quote from: cheyler on December 12, 2015, 01:06:48Technically we can count Roger as a Cure guitarist since he was playing Porl's part on 'Open' for a little while.

Oh yeah, that's right, I do remember that.

This topic might be closed towards the end of the year. I suggest any rumours about the new album should be posted in the "new album in 2016?" topic:
http://curefans.com/unconfirmed-news-and-rumours/album-2016/

cheyler

That Judy Garland reference was a joke, sort of a pun.  She died of an overdose of sleeping pills/barbiturates.  No one knows how many she took, it could be seventeen...  Seconals is/was a brand name in 1969.  Waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic now!

Not much more to say at the moment.  Just waiting for two announcements...

Ulrich

Not very funny.

Topic closed. Discuss rumours about the possible new album for 2016 here, please:

http://curefans.com/unconfirmed-news-and-rumours/album-2016/