The Cure in Orange 2016

Started by dsanchez, October 17, 2015, 13:46:40

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

more than a new album, I'd be happy enough if The Cure would perform in Orange next year, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of that fantastic show.

Warning: this is a (my) wishful thinking, nothing indicates The Cure will return to this city, except for the fact mentioned above!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on October 17, 2015, 13:46:40...I'd be happy enough if The Cure would perform in Orange next year, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of that fantastic show.

Well, that would be one show, which is over way too soon (especially when you're there), while a new album would show us that they have some creativity left, and we could listen to it all over again (whenever we'd want)!
Also, from experience (with various bands & their fans): great expectations often lead to disappointments.  :(
If I were you I would not expect a concert in Orange. Has Robert ever mentioned he'd like to do it again? Certainly it is a special place, but will he want to repeat a 30-year-old experience?  :?
Be glad if it happens, but don't expect.  ;)

Just like I'll be glad it they release a new album. If not, then it's like it is. The Cure probably don't have much to "prove" any more. Thus, they could tour without an album too...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on October 18, 2015, 14:23:31
Quote from: dsanchez on October 17, 2015, 13:46:40...I'd be happy enough if The Cure would perform in Orange next year, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of that fantastic show.

Well, that would be one show, which is over way too soon (especially when you're there), while a new album would show us that they have some creativity left, and we could listen to it all over again (whenever we'd want)!
Also, from experience (with various bands & their fans): great expectations often lead to disappointments.  :(
If I were you I would not expect a concert in Orange. Has Robert ever mentioned he'd like to do it again? Certainly it is a special place, but will he want to repeat a 30-year-old experience?  :?

Just like I'll be glad it they release a new album. If not, then it's like it is. The Cure probably don't have much to "prove" any more. Thus, they could tour without an album too...

I agree with Ulrich, Orange is a long shot.  I'm really liking the idea of a new album though.  I'm guessing they could delay announcing the album into the new year as the tour doesn't start until May, I think?  They'd miss Christmas, but this is not a mass-market band, they would sell as many if announced either pre-Christmas or even January (as mentioned by the magazine) or at the latest February.  They had the first nine months of 2014 to work, and the basic tracks and overdubs could have been finished easily.  Not sure if Robert still prefers to lay down the vocal tracks without the band's presence.  Then they had the entirety of 2015 to finish the album, and Roger and Reeves would have plenty of time to do their extra-Cure-icular activities...no sweat.  It also depends on when exactly the new songs were written and rehearsed;  that could still have been done in the first nine months of 2014.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on October 19, 2015, 03:34:40
I'm guessing they could delay announcing the album into the new year as the tour doesn't start until May, I think? 

Of course they could (assuming there is a new album in the making)!
In the past, the touring had sometimes started already before the album release.

Quote from: cheyler on October 19, 2015, 03:34:40Then they had the entirety of 2015 to finish the album, and Roger and Reeves would have plenty of time to do their extra-Cure-icular activities...no sweat.  It also depends on when exactly the new songs were written and rehearsed;  that could still have been done in the first nine months of 2014.

I would think the songs were written from 2011-2014, maybe some already "rehearsed" by the band during the same period. Again: it could be possible! We'll probably have to wait for the January announcement, to see if a new album will be mentioned at all...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on October 18, 2015, 14:23:31

I don't think this will happen, this is just a dream I have. Of course, it would be amazing, but I am not hoping for this. I am pretty confident I will see the band again next year, all seems to point they will play Europe again :smth020
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

Seems they're just too big to do a small venue like Orange.  They can headline any European festival and play for 100,000 people at a throw.  An Orange residency sounds cool, like The Clash at Bond's in 1981.  Call it the 'Seventeen Concerts' tour (residency).

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on October 26, 2015, 01:25:42
Seems they're just too big to do a small venue like Orange.

How "small" is it anyway? I think a few thousand would fit in there (which is a pretty "normal" number for a Cure concert)?  :?

cheyler

The US dates announced so far are in venues with these capacities:

Madison Square Garden - 20,000 for concerts
Hollywood Bowl - 17,376
UIC Pavilion Chicago - 9,500

Not sure of the exact size of the amphitheater in Orange, but it is smaller than any of these.  With the extra dates added, The Cure will play to 60,000 in New York, 52,000 in Los Angeles and 19,000 in Chicago.  That's 130,000 in two weeks.  Initially there were three dates, now there are eight.  Lots of room built into this tour, someone was expecting this kind of demand for tickets.  That's another reason I'm convinced of the new album.

I read the info from the link provided by Ulrich.  Sounds to me like not only have The Cure finished a new album but RS has finished the second half of 4:13 Dream (whatever that may turn out to be).

I'm also interested in what went wrong with Porl in the last line-up (as was mentioned in the link).  At least whatever was going on did not manifest itself on-stage (not to my eyes/ears anyway).  They were playing fantastically right to the end.  Looking at RS' demeanor during the European tour in 2008 and comparing it to how he looked in April 2009 is very telling, but that happened over time so it wasn't as noticeable.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on October 26, 2015, 14:46:39
Not sure of the exact size of the amphitheater in Orange, but it is smaller than any of these.

Yes, but the size of venues in USA hasn't much significance for Europe. Here they used to play venues in size of 7.000 to 10.000, thus a tour in Europe with a stop in "Orange" wouldn't be a "problem" (or they could play 2 nights or 3, like they do in NYC etc.)!
(Also, Orange is not in a big city like L.A., NYC or Chicago.)

The Cure obviously have understood that by making themselves a bit "rare" for the last few years, demand for tickets will increase when they finally announce a tour...

Quote from: cheyler on October 26, 2015, 14:46:39
I read the info from the link provided by Ulrich.  Sounds to me like not only have The Cure finished a new album but RS has finished the second half of 4:13 Dream (whatever that may turn out to be).

It's nice that at least one of us here does click those links and reads the info!
But in that one, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything "new" about a planned album, just pure speculation and some 1-year-old info! Let's hope there will be more reliable info soon.

That NME article they referred to was from April 2014 (not exactly up-to-date):
http://www.nme.com/news/the-cure/76461

u-a-b-f

Quote from: Ulrich on October 26, 2015, 09:05:37
Quote from: cheyler on October 26, 2015, 01:25:42
Seems they're just too big to do a small venue like Orange.

How "small" is it anyway? I think a few thousand would fit in there (which is a pretty "normal" number for a Cure concert)?  :?

Attendance is 7000

Ulrich

Quote from: u-a-b-f on October 27, 2015, 10:21:34
Attendance is 7000

Thank you. Guess it would fit in size to other European venues (IF the band would want to include Orange in their tour...).

u-a-b-f

Quote from: Ulrich on October 27, 2015, 14:13:14
Quote from: u-a-b-f on October 27, 2015, 10:21:34
Attendance is 7000

Thank you. Guess it would fit in size to other European venues (IF the band would want to include Orange in their tour...).

Let's say the Europe Leg of the 2016 Tour really will be in October / November 2016 ... they wouldn't do any outdoor shows in Autumn, so no Orange Show there.
A Europe Open Air Tour in Summer followed by an Indoor Tour in Autumn seems very unlikely.
A Orange Show 30 years later would make sense from some point of view but likely just as a stand alone Show between the North America and Europe Leg of the Tour.
However ... highly speculative ;)

dsanchez

The Cure does not play big venues in Europe (both RAH and Hammersmith Odeon -where the band has played in recent years- are around 6,000 capacity) and they didn't sell out the 4Tour 2008 (in this tour they played at the Gasometer in Vienna where I saw Suede two years ago - 3,000 people capacity).

By the way, the roman theatre in Orange has a capacity of nearly 9,000 persons:

http://www.theatre-antique.com/en/room-hire/big-events
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

I suppose I don't lose anything asking The Cure, Reeves, Lol and Tim Pope their thoughts on this...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

QuoteIt's nice that at least one of us here does click those links and reads the info!
But in that one, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything "new" about a planned album, just pure speculation and some 1-year-old info! Let's hope there will be more reliable info soon.

That NME article they referred to was from April 2014 (not exactly up-to-date):
http://www.nme.com/news/the-cure/76461

I may be getting ahead of myself or getting a little over-optimistic but I get so few opportunities to do that these days, so what the heck.  The next few months are going to be a lot of fun, seeing what shakes out, what turns out to be true, what turns out to be wrong, and probably a couple of surprises that turn out even better than what we'd hoped.  Then, after all that, a concert or two!  There are going to be some great recordings showing up on DimeADozen, pretty much night after night too.