Seattle????

Started by cheyler, December 18, 2015, 03:16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

The noose is closing in.  Boise ID on the second of June means the first is out.  If they played Seattle on the first, that would be four dates in a row and nowhere else on the itinerary are they doing four nights.  Three nights in a row is enough for anyone I suppose.  Now I have to look backward into May.  Shoreline on the 26th and Vancouver on the 31st, leaving four dates open there.  This gap was really a more likely spot anyhow.  Late May.  Hmm.  Oh, I remember now.  Late May 2008 is when we got, instead of a Cure show in Seattle in October 2007, a festival date hundreds of miles away in a dustbowl with a half-hour hacked off the set list to accommodate the 'festival' nature of the gig.  In any decent nuclear exchange, Seattle should really go first.  It needs to be put out of my misery...  OK, not first.  Second.  After Boise.

Ulrich

As I mentioned before, I'm sure this is a set-up to torture you! I guess the band became aware of your post:
http://curefans.com/albums-and-songs/underneath-the-stars-8227/
and decided to punish you!  :lol:

Apart from this fun fact, personally I would suggest that you move to Boise, Idaho! (Alternatively, start making travel arrangements right now!)
It seems to be a perfect place, better than any other city in North America.
http://craigjparker.blogspot.it/2015/12/boise-seems-to-be-aware-of-cure.html
QuoteLuring The Cure to Idaho wasn't easy. Thornton wrote emails that were forwarded to Smith in an effort to sell him on Boise. The process took a month, Thornton says. (Among the points he made: Downtown Boise is hipper than you think. And Depeche Mode, a British band that shares fans with The Cure, sold almost 8,000 tickets here in 1998. (And that was in Nampa, at the Idaho Center.)
:smth023
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

You're all heart Ulrich.  My reply would include language that would not be allowed.

I've been to Boise.  It was nothing 40 years ago and it's even less now.

The last live show by The Cure that I was interested in was in April 2009.  I'm sort of wondering how they'd be live now, not a video, not a CD but live and loud in an arena.  That's about it.  If not, a CD will have to do...but I refuse to listen to the Boise show if and when it shows up on dime.

They're past their prime and I don't like the line-up, but if they can really start cooking again (either live or in the studio) I'm all ears.  When Porl left again, that was it.

The band is obviously very happy with the current situation and that is all that matters to them.  They figure if the line-up is happy and firing on all cylinders, they are bound to produce music that appeals to the fans.  They are right.  Just not ALL the fans.  To paraphrase, you can appeal to all of the people some of the time, you can appeal to some of the people all of the time, but you can't appeal to all of the people all of the time.  There have been plenty of times over the last 35 years that I've been less than interested, just hope my time comes round again before they hang it up.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on December 20, 2015, 21:29:25
You're all heart Ulrich.  My reply would include language that would not be allowed.

Sorry 'bout that. I thought if anyone, you would be able to take a joke. (After your pun with Judy Garland and all that.)  :oops:

Quote from: cheyler on December 20, 2015, 21:29:25
They're past their prime and I don't like the line-up, but if they can really start cooking again (either live or in the studio) I'm all ears.  When Porl left again, that was it.

The same kind of comments all over again (and over and over again) is becoming a bit old and tiring.  :roll:

Seriously, if I were you, I'd start making travel arrangements to any town you can get a cheap flight (or car or train or ship...) to, unless Seattle gets confirmation very soon.

cheyler

That's what's difficult about looking at typed stuff, no faces or voice inflections.  I was kidding about the 'all heart' thing, I understood what you meant perfectly and got the humor, so thank you for that.

If I'd known that the Seattle date was going to remain unconfirmed for such a long time I would have gone for Vancouver but that's sold out now.  Salt Lake is too far (and it's in Utah, yuck...), Boise is what it is although seeing 'em in a 4000 seat place would be cool.

I only mentioned Porl again because his absence does figure in to my interest in seeing the band and also how much time/effort/money I want to put in to seeing a show.  At this point, I think my wife is more interested in going than I am so I may go no matter what...provided there actually is a Seattle date.  Taking into consideration work schedules in May/June and money and travel time, Seattle is really the only option for us and if it doesn't happen then that's it for this tour.

Hope you are enjoying the holidays Ulrich, and all the best to you and your family and friends.  Best to everyone that reads this as well, I hope all is well!

Ulrich

I suggest from 2016 on you pay a small fee for every Porl mention to dsanchez, as a donation for the maintenance of this forum!  ;) (Like 1$ for each - you can get a discount: 9$ for 10 "Porls" in a month...)
:-D

Quote from: cheyler on December 21, 2015, 20:05:43
If I'd known that the Seattle date was going to remain unconfirmed for such a long time I would have gone for Vancouver but that's sold out now.  Salt Lake is too far (and it's in Utah, yuck...), Boise is what it is although seeing 'em in a 4000 seat place would be cool.

Yeah, what sounds good about Boise is the "smaller" place!
Don't give up on Vancouver just yet, there might be tickets appearing (check e.g. "chainofflowers") before the date. But I hope Seattle will be confirmed one day.

http://craigjparker.blogspot.it/2015/10/2016-tour-tickets-for-sale.html

Quote from: cheyler on December 21, 2015, 20:05:43
Hope you are enjoying the holidays Ulrich

No, not yet, I'll be working until tomorrow at least.
Happy festive season for you & family too :!:

cheyler

cheyler

Guess what, GREAT NEWS!!!!  The Sasquatch Festival has been announced for May 27th through the 30th.  I'm betting The Cure will headline the 30th and skip Seattle altogether...again.  Probably mentioned that the venue is hundreds of miles from Seattle (a couple hundred from where I live anyway) and a nightmare to get in and out.  That's why no 'Seattle' announcement yet.  Can't announce you're going to play an unannounced festival, can you?  We'll finally know our fate tomorrow when the festival line-up is announced.  Festival show not Cure show.  Either they couldn't reach an agreement with any of the suitable venues in Seattle or they never intended to play Seattle in the first place.  I believe it to be the latter.  Can't fault RS for not knowing his Washington geography.  It's a bit like having a date announced for London but later having it changed to Manchester or some other miserable northern f***ing city.  Thanks guys, you just lost a long-time fan.

cheyler

NB.
There will also be a Seattle, WA performance...
On-sale and show info announced soon

Two months we had to wait, while all the while they knew exactly what they were waiting for, to find out it was all a f***ing LIE.  Scheduled Seattle date switched to The Gorge.  2007-8 and now AGAIN in 2016 or whatever it is.  They haven't been here in 20 years, and a GOOD version of The Cure hasn't been here since 1992.  I can't un-like all the great music they created up until 2009 (excepting the years 1993-1999 which were just directionless slop) but I don't give two s**ts about what they do from here on out.  F**K THE CURE.  Thanks a lot guys.  Seriously.  Thanks LOADS for remembering the fans that have treated you so well since you first came to Vancouver in 1981.  F**K YOU.

ANYBODY, PREFERABLY LOCAL:  Interested in a whole bunch of flac files and burned CDs and DVDs and even some bootleg DVDs?  Let me know.  All are dated 2011-2015.  I might keep 26th Nov 2011, that was a motherf**ker of a show and sounds great.  Send me a PM.  All free, obviously.

Matti

Erm.. sorry for you apparently not being able to see them, but - you do realise that organizing a major tour with umpteen dates is really complicated, takes a lot of logistic effort, and that a lot of the planning is beyond the band's control? It's not that they do this just to annoy you or anyone else.

I really hope you will find a way to overcome your anger and follow Ulrich's suggestion made elsewhere, if possible.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

cheyler

NB.
There will also be a Seattle, WA performance...
On-sale and show info announced soon

What was I supposed to take from that?  On The Cure's official site.  Seattle is not New York, we don't have suburbs 200 miles in any direction.  It's a lie.  I didn't read that and think automatically "oh, they're playing The Gorge again".  I thought "Seattle!"...for the first time in twenty years!  Great!  If it was a line-up in which I had some measure of emotional investment, I'd be even more pissed.  But it isn't and I don't and I'm not.  I was really looking forward to this and it got snatched away at the last second.  Happens a lot to everyone in all areas of life, probably ought to be used to it.  This one hurts and f**k yes I'm taking it out on the band who lied to us in the first place.  Nothing beats the 2007-2008 switcheroo pulled on us.  That four-piece was the best ever line-up of The Cure, to my mind.  Capable of lopping heads off with no trouble at all.  2009 was the end of The Cure...for me.  Been watching from a distance, but am now putting my binoculars back in the case and am going to go look at something else.

Seriously though, I've got a couple very very nice bootleg DVDs, covers and all, and I'd like to get them to someone.  I never watch them, 2012 and 2013 gigs.  Not interested.

Amendment: the boots have been snapped up as have the burned dvds.   going to be purging my HDs next of offending material.

cheyler

Quote from: Matti on January 12, 2016, 19:58:14
Erm.. sorry for you apparently not being able to see them, but - you do realise that organizing a major tour with umpteen dates is really complicated, takes a lot of logistic effort, and that a lot of the planning is beyond the band's control? It's not that they do this just to annoy you or anyone else.

I really hope you will find a way to overcome your anger and follow Ulrich's suggestion made elsewhere, if possible.

I understand exactly what goes into it.  If their current tour manager somehow does not have the correct digits on his phone with which to reach Seattle, then I'd suggest he get another.  Previous tour managers have been able to accomplish this remarkable feat in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1992, 1996, 1997, and even 2004 (half-an-hour away).  Might have missed a date, I don't know.  Even 2007, it was all set up but postponed and then re-located.  Even the 'Faith Tour' gig was in Vancouver, 90 miles, easy drive and border control was nothing like what it is now.  I wouldn't go to Vancouver even if I was paid to do it now.  Pity they couldn't get Daryl Bamonte back but he's working for Love Amongst Ruin as their tour manager.  That guy is an effective tour manager.  LAR has some damned fine songs, maybe I'll listen to them.  We've got a better shot at them coming to Seattle anyhow...

As far as Ulrich's suggestions, they were welcome, it's just that none of the alternate dates and locations would have worked either because of work schedules or just plan outrageous ticket prices.  Always open to suggestion though.

Ulrich

Two topics merged, as they're basically about the same subject!

Quote from: Matti on January 12, 2016, 19:58:14... you do realise that organizing a major tour with umpteen dates is really complicated, takes a lot of logistic effort, and that a lot of the planning is beyond the band's control? It's not that they do this just to annoy you or anyone else.

I'm sure they do this just to annoy those fans who treated them well when they came to Vancouver in '81 - oh, hang on, there is a Vancouver date, isn't there?  :o

Sorry for you Mr cheyler, but I ask politely to refrain from posting abuse (even it's censored with **) like above, as understandable as your anger seems to be.
The Cure are not responsible for your workload, if possible get a few days off for Vancouver show. It's still almost 6 months away, lots of things can change until then...

cheyler

What I'd like you to understand is that Seattle has had one show scheduled then taken away and put over at The Gorge in 2007/8 and now the Cure site said "there will also be a Seattle WA performance" and now that's been taken away and put over at The Gorge eight years to the day later with no Cure shows in between and no Seattle Cure shows since 1997, nearly twenty years ago.  They did try to schedule a show in 2004 but that was at The Gorge as well, not Seattle.  Poor ticket sales.  There is, here where I live, in Seattle, a lot of anger, disappointment, disillusionment, upset, feelings of betrayal and the feeling that the band have been lying to us (knowing full well Seattle wasn't getting the show all along), etc. etc.  This will not be apparent to you over in Germany.  Don't worry, I can easily refrain from being nasty.  Especially when there are so many other outlets on which to vent my true unexpurgated feelings...  I'm done being jerked around by these guys.  Anybody still waiting for something from me, please send me a PM if you still want it.  Phoenix '89 and RAH 2006 video and I think Matti wanted the Dallas '89 mp3s?  I want to make sure everyone gets what was promised.  Ha.  Unlike the band.             FYTB

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on January 13, 2016, 21:42:54
What I'd like you to understand is that Seattle has had one show scheduled then taken away and put over at The Gorge ...

I'm certain we all understood, you posted this repeatedly here in this topic!

All has been said, closed. If anyone has to add something new here, let me know via PM and I'll open it again.